Taking the Reigns of History (Chinese Empire)

AmericanEagle24

Chieftain
Prologue

Events, characters, locations and more are a mix of historical accuracy and creativity on my end. I gladly present this as the prologue of a tale I hope will entertain and enthrall you. Thank you. - Alex Vasquez (AmericanEagle24), author.

"Over the golden hills came the caravan of bodies and beasts, with the resolve of statues and the physiques of monstrosities. Our children and countrymen were petrified with curiosity and fear, even to the point of death. I could only look for a short time, because my parents dragged me and our pet Li to the city quickly. They packed some of my newer clothe and reminded me how to use my hunting knife. Leaving me in eastern Xinjian, they told me they loved me and went off in the direction of the screaming, telling me to walk with Li to Tientsin, home of our relatives. When I arrived many days later, a messenger had already reached my far cousins with word of the destruction of my town, my parents included."

Stops to drink fresh water, thanking soldier who brung it.

"When Cousin Huo passed away, I was ready to return to the west province. Li was aged, but still showed he can hold his own. Just a few hours before, he intimidated a bear, saving my life while I was asleep! The day that dog died, part of my heart went with it. I had Li's remains buried at the Forbidden Palace, beside my parents."

"This is...incredible. The Council had us believe you were of royal blood, hidden from the public in case we were invaded and the royals were targeted."

"It goes to show that what they say of bureaucracies is true, "The Bureaucracy is growing to meet the needs of the growing Bureaucracy', ha ha! In all seriousness, we must be moving on to Xinjian. My trade adviser, Jaolong (you met him at the feast two nights ago, remember?) told me that foreigners have proposed several deals concerning our resources. Jaolong emphasized they REALLY want our silks, and have bizarre foods for exchange."

The tall, muscular man mounted his black stallion, situating himself so that he could comfortably pull his wife to the steed's back behind him.

"All of this is for you and our children. You are Queen now, so if I do not return as the man you hold on to now, rule with power yet mercy. Raise Kings, and don't bend to pressure."

The royals rode to the gates of Beijing, where the 1st Continental Army greeted their commander and King. After getting off his horse and holding his pregnant wife as she herself got off, he kissed her passionately, with his right hand on her womb. That right hand, wrapped in wet tree leaves from the southern provinces, has not stopped fidgeting in years. However, he feels this right and fitting.

"Forget that line I used before; I will return to you and my country. It is for you and all of our countrymen that I set forth to conquer. I love you, and I will return."

With his words, he signaled the Queen's entourage to take her back to the Palace, along with 300 of the Royal Bodyguard.

---End Chapter---

Li - A puppy at the time of the narrated story beginnings, he remained a loyal and useful dog to the protagonist. Passing away of old age, he was dearly loved by the King.

1st Continental Army - Diverse force of over 800,000 men, with 300,000 women serving as support and administrative staff. A long history of excellence, the Army has achieved higher accolades under the current King, who places value in an elite military.

Xinjian - Large territory west of Greater China where past rulers have ordered foreign traders to unload their goods if they desired business with China. It ensured that outsiders did not enter Greater China, and that the area thrived with wealth. Lately it has been the target of attacks by not only barbarians, but from hostile nations to the west.

Greater China - Term used by the current King to identify the core lands of his Chinese empire, stretching north from Beijing and south to Hong Kong. Well defended by land and sea, this area is China's heartland, providing great wealth, food, and production.

Forbidden Palace - As the name implies, a Palace built in the nation's capitol of Peking (renamed Beijing by the newer generation) to house not only the King but his most trusted servants and government staff. It is a humongous compound that the residents of China are proud of, as they adore their King.

Newlyweds - The King has recently married his wife, therefore explaining to her many events in his lifetime. Not being of noble heritage, she is not in the know when it comes to royal history.

----------------------

This is my initial draft, writing this up after a knack to play Civ as the Chinese. This is NOT a write-up made after playing a game of Civ, but inspired by Civ. Thank you for reading, and I hope to provide more chapters soon. :)

"Our Longbowmen and pikemen are fairing well against the southern resisters. Our scouts project Hanoi's defense to be no more than 2,000 of Tinh's reserve forces, so we should control that city before the week is over."

"Excellent, I knew I could trust your brother to lead the new battalion. I have my reservations of those pikemen however, they seem to slow footed to be useful against a smart enemy. Well, speak of the devil..."

While speaking with his top military advisor, a slender man in his mid 30-s approaches the front of the King's Army, bearing a message from the land of the setting sun. Taking a swig from his canteen, he presents the King with a coin bearing the appearance of a man, apparently a gift from the Persian ruler.

"My master, ruler of the known and un-known, wishes to have continued peace with the likes of you from the east. However, in return for our favor, we ask your obedience in crushing the Egyptian menace. For too long have they ravaged Persian cottages and farms, running back to their desert when our brave soldiers confront them. Our benevolent ruler Xerxes has therefore extended his magnificent hand to you, King of the East, in hopes of forging an alliance to last for eternity!"

A swarm of advisors encircle the King, who has not taken his gaze off of the Persian envoy. Gesturing for his men to move away with his left hand, he rides to the messenger's side.

"You there, go back to your King and tell him this. When China sought your assistence against evil Mongolia, you turned a blind eye. Having intended to restructure our relationship, we invited you in our conquest of Indochina, yet you insulted my envoys and sent them back with tattered clothes. Countless times we have attempted to trade our goods for yours, yet you reject us with hate in your heart, out of jeolousy perhaps. No longer will we be the good neighbor to you Xerxes. China will act upon it's situation and see the Persian rulers as opponents of our interests, and therefore enemies. Yet, we are not savages such as your rulers. We will not embarass you, nor destroy you. Instead..."

The King orders two servants to serve the Persian envoy water and salted meat, along with supplies for his camel.

"Let your people know that we are no barbarians. And, to your Xerxes, that we are coming. Now, make haste to your capitol. My men inform me that it is experiencing some difficulties with the local hostile tribes in the area."

The King's men let out hearty laughs as the envoy scampers away with his camel, shocked to hear of distress from Persepolis. Yet, the King himself looks upon the messenger with pity and respect, knowing full well that he leads his men to war with the people of the land of the setting sun.

Three nights later

"Haha excellent! Your brother sure knows how to command those stick men!"

"Err, it's pikemen my King. They're called so because they use pikes as their main weapon."

"Yes well, what is the layout of the southern lands now that we hold territory along the Tonkin Gulf?"

"Well, we have set up three cities to serve as centers for commerce, sciencitific research, and military bases in what the scholars have called Lower China. Hanoi has been converted to a crossroads for the locals to come into Greater China and gain citizenship, while Bangkok and Saigon are recovering from the great battle. Our men in those two cities are putting down insurgencies from the past regime, but all goes well on that front. We expect to hold those towns in 5 days."

"Tell your brother not to continue further west. We have no need to entice military paranoia from India; instead, have Shanghai and Tientsin build ships to transport the battalion to the islands off of Lower China's coast. Yes, here's the map. The P-h-i-l-l-i-p-i-n-e-s, it's called. We could use those spices and fruits in Beijing's markets, not to mention in our allies' towns. Your brother shall now be known formally as Grand Lieutenant of Southern China. With this title, I shall send him 90,000 soldiers from Japan, fresh from training in the Kyoto woodlands. They shall be useful in the jungles of these islands."

"He'll be honored, thank you my King."

With good tidings from the war effort hundreds of miles away, the King stops the Army to camp at China's western border with the Russians, a rather weird people. The vast Army has been marching and galloping for a month now, and they couldn't have a higher morale. With an optimistic Commander and the numbers to allow such confidence, they hold loyalty to their Monarch as a point of pride. Being veterans of five wars, the 1st Continental Army (1CA) is the King's favorite force. It was they who conquered the Korean peninsula in Beijing's name, and they who destroyed the Mongolian menace, who made it a habit of looting China in it's pacifict days. Also, commanders in the Continental Army repeled attacks by the Japanese islanders, allowing time for the 2nd Seaborne to conquer Honshu while the main Japanese forces were stuck in Chinese lands. For India's sake, the 1CA sent young men to far lands in the hunt for Babylonian attackers, when India herself could not raise a hand. It was then the 1CA who, years later, bravely defended the southern Greater China town of K'unming from the same Indians, claiming we insulted India with our gluttony for riches and blasphemies against their gods. What a souless bunch they are. Perhaps the King shall make it a point to have Asoka a vassal before returning home to Beijing?

Military Advisor - A young man of many battles, he is now retired from combat due to a back injury suffered in Korea. However, his intelligence and careful organization skills have earned him a place of respect from the King. His older brother fights on the King's behalf in lands below Greater China, and soon in the waters around it.

Xerxes - King of Persia, a powerful nation of merchants and warriors west of China. It is through them that China has made contact with the Europeans and Africans, as Persian economic interests include bridging east with west. Xerxes himself is a wise ruler, but those who surround his throne, including the elder council, are bitter towards the young King.

Hanoi, Bangkok, and Saigon - Cities in what is now called Lower China (as the Chinese consider all conquered lands a part of China), two of which are currently in rebellion. Hanoi was home to an ancient tribe of barbarian hostiles, and the other two towns were renamed to be pronounciable in Chinese.

Conquests - With Lower China now under Chinese army subjugation, The Kingdom of China now stretches from Manchuria to the north, the Japanese islands to the east, Bangkok to the south, stretching to the ancestral home of the Nepalese to the west. The King has ensured this vast empire have the financial support necessary to support itself and expand, selling Chinese goods such as silk and cattle to the west in return for vast amounts of gold. The gold then is used to support the Army, which conquers more land with resources, bringing in MORE gold.

All parts of the Kingdom of China contribute to the greater wealth, even Korea. With it's mountainous terrain and fertile waters, Korea provides much production and food, respectively. It is from here and Japan that the Kingdom prepares to launch it's attack on islands to the south and east, expanding the Chinenese border and bringing more under the rule of the King.

Top Bottom