Rhoanna's Rise (Fall from Heaven II: Shadow)

A question ( not a very important one):

Do you know where the mercurians are? I can't spot them in the minimap.....

Nice job dealing with the crazy clown so far.... but it will be hard to reinforce your troops in Perpentach's lands without gaining some kind of naval supremacy.

Do you know where the mercurians are? I can't spot them in the minimap.....

They're right in the center of Amelanchier's territory, they're not on the older maps because I haven't traded world maps with anyone in awhile. I had already deduced their location so I never bothered. Here's a newer map I traded from Garrim Gyr. I drool every time I see Evermore, it has 8 wonders including the City of a Thousand Slums and the Celestial Compass.

Spoiler Mercurian map :

Chapter 10: The Hippus-Balseraph War, Part III

Year 361-387

[size=+1]Shadow of the Hippus[/size]​

[size=+1]T[/size]he last two decades of the war marked the decline of the Balseraph Empire. One reaps what one sows, and indeed the harvest of Perpentach's madness had come. Despite already being isolated and with few allies, Perpentach persisted on his insane behaviour and continued to antagonize the other nations of Erebus. Tired of his antics, the other nations banded together to remove Perpentach from power so that by Year 371 nearly every nation had declared war on Perpentach.

Never seen but often speculated on were the Shadowriders of Esus. It was rumored that Rhoanna herself commanded these servants of shadow, though she would always deny it when asked. The rumors could never be substantiated as anyone who met the Shadowriders never lived to tell the tale.

In Year 373 Rhoanna appointed a new Vice-Chancellor, a man named Gibbon Goetia. An amicable fellow from the Grigori city of Gnollistan. There was much opposition to his appointment from the tribal chieftains, but curiously Gibbon's most vocal critics suddenly fell ill or became victims of accidents and were unable to attend the appointment session.

Gibbon Goetia, Vice-Chancellor​

Other shadowy event included the founding of Aeron's Bounty in Hexam by a Hippus Assassin. The Assassin, who's identity is unknown, believed to have received a vision from Aeron the god of Murder. He went on to found his own Assasin's guild in the name of Aeron.

The combination of these many events disturbed the Hippus greatly. Although they could not quite understand how or why, the citizens felt as if a great shadow had been cast on the nation. This was difficult to reconcile with the creation of the Hippus Republic and their newfound right to vote, especially since everything seems to have changed for the better. On the surface anyway.

[size=+1]Perpentach's Defeat[/size]

In order to gain a decisive advantage against the Balseraph, the Hippus founded the Order of Knights and began using exotic animals as mounts such as War Elephants. Their effect on the Balseraph was devastating.

War Elephants​

As a last resort to push back the Hippus, Perpentach forced any Balseraph able to carry a weapon to fight in his army. The quality and discipline of his soldiers was highly questionable as Berserkers and even Lunatics were called upon to fight against the Hippus.

Berserkers and Lunatics

Despite these desperate attempts, the Hippus advance would not be slowed down. As Balseraph cities fell one after another Perpentach was eventually willing to negotiate a peace treaty. But even though the Hippus people demanded a respite from the long war Rhoanna would have none of it. Her objective was the complete surrender of the Balseraph and she would continue to ignore all war protests until then.

Hemah, the Octopus Overlords' most feared dreamer, was encountered at the Battle of Guell. An archmage of Death and Entropy, it is said that he is more dangerous asleep than awake. If such is the case it is fortunate that our troops met him while he was awake.

Hemah's defeat​

In Year 387, following Hemah's death and yet another crushing defeat at Avelorn, the Balseraph finally surrendered to the Hippus. In exchange, Rhoanna spared Perpentach's life and allowed him to live in the Balseraph city of Vincon. The Balseraph were allowed to keep three of their former cities but were to pay yearly tribute to the Hippus as well as reveal the secrets of Machinery, Blasting Powder, Fanaticism, Guild and Feral Bond. With the end of the war, the Hippus Republic had become the greatest nation on Erebus.

Spoiler Balseraph Continent :

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 361

Spread CoE in Altheriol-ta-Mealthiel

Switched research to Summoning for Gibbon Goetia

Economically, switching to Republic is having its toll. City maintenance cost has shot up, with inflation near 100% it's certainly not helping. The science slider is down to 10%.

Year 362 - Proposed the Undercouncil resolution to setup a gambling ring. Since we're the only voting member of the Undercouncil (Cassiel and Auric can't have state religions), it will be automatically passed.

Year 364 - Trained our very first Shadowrider. So far he's at 18 strength.

Year 365 - Done researching Summoning, now going for Bowyers.

Year 366 - Capture of Hexam

Captured the Balseraph city of Hexam.

Year 368

Aeron's Chosen

One of our Assassins has become Aeron's chosen. We've founded Aeron's Bounty in Hexam.

Escalation

Amelanchier/Basium/Sabathiel and Garrim Gyr declare war on Perpentach. His only trade partner is now Os-Gabella.

Year 369 - Second Wave

The second wave of our invasion has just left the port at Radonnor. They're heading straight to the city of Hexam. I'm not too worried about naval resistance from the Balseraph. This time our fleet is strong and Perpentach's navy is probably busy fighting the other civs.

The fleet includes:
  • 8 Frigates
  • 4 Arcance Barges
  • 4 Queens of the Line
  • 1 Privateer

The second wave army includes:
  • 3 Shadowriders
  • 3 Knights
  • 3 War Elephants
  • 6 Assassins
  • 2 Chariots
  • 2 Rangers
  • 3 Mounted Mercenaries
  • 1 Mage
  • 2 Adepts

One advantage of the Arcane Barge is that Fireballs can be used to extend visibility.

Year 370

Spoiler War council :

The second wave army will come in from the sea and land just south of Jubilee. The first wave army currently in Hexam will split into 2. The majority will head north to capture Hyol, a smaller portion will head south to Jubilee to support the second wave army. Most of Perpentachs forces are around Coombe View and Guell at the moment. Jubilee is relatively lightly defended. Despite the fact that Jubilee is the Balseraph capital, Coombe View is a higher value target since it contains a number of Wonders and is the OO holy city.

Year 371

Landed the second wave army just south of Jubilee and have begun bombarding defenses at Jubilee.

Magnadine leads troops toward Hyol.

Cassiel/Auric have declared war on Perpentach. People are dogpiling onto Perpentach...

Year 372

The Fall of Jubilee

The combination of bombardment and tier 3 cavalry made capturing Jubilee easy.

The Battle of Hyol

We also capture Hyol.

Built new Shadow Node near Umbracle.

Year 373 - Gibbon Goetia

Gibbon Goetia has joined our cause.

Year 374

The Undercouncil (ie: Rhoanna) has decided to pass a resolution to setup a smuggling ring.

We capture the city of Argenteria.

Year 376 - Hemah's Demise

Hemah was killed as the city of Guell was captured.

At this point Magnadine is a one man army, with Combat V, Fear, Blitz.

War Weariness is becoming a problem. Even with Dungeons and Nationalism.

The hellish terrain of Demon Isle has grown verdant again...which means we've lost our precious Nightmare.

Year 377 - The Assault on Coombe View

Spoiler War council :

Coombe View is Perpentach's most important city. It contains the Necronomicon and the Form of the Titan. We'll be attacking it from 2 sides, Magnadine and MMs from the Guell, Knight/Shadowriders/War Elephants from Jubilee.

The Great Merchant Kersasus Actium has joined us in Slane.

Year 378 - Fall of Coombe View

We capture Coombe View, taking control of the Necronomicon, The Form of the Titan and the Tower of Complacency.

Year 379 - Done researching Bowyers, now going for Guilds for Shadows.

Year 381

We capture the city of Drassanes and claim Orthus' Axe.

Year 382

Spoiler War council :

We capture the city of Naggarond. Next is the former Kuriotates city of Kwythellar, then Avelorn. We're looking to finishing this war soon because of war weariness. Trying to end this war with Perpentach's surrender.

Year 384 - Fall of Kwythellar

At the Undercouncil we propose to fund dissidents. Naturally the resolution passes since our word is law in the Undercouncil.

We capture Kwythellar, taking control of Mokka's Cauldron and the Crown of Akharien.

Year 387 - Capitulation of Perpentach

We capture the city of Avelorn. That makes the last Balseraph city with decent production capacity. After 65 years of war, Perpentach finally surrenders to avoid total destruction.

The terms are surrender are that Perpentach becomes our vassal in addition to giving us the following technologies:
  • Machinery
  • Blasting Powder
  • Feral Bond
  • Fanaticism
  • Guilds

The Balseraph also provide us with their key resources. Namely all their mana and Marble.

Now that we have Guilds and the war is over, we resume our research of Divine Essence.

Spoiler Balseraph continent :

Perpentach only has 3 cities left: the island city of Mideel, Vincon and Ocells on the Balseraph mainland. The rest of the continent belongs to us now.

I assume you'll be cruising to a Domination or Conquest. Based on this, take out Os-Gabella. You're already at war, you have a fleet near your troops, the Balseraph won't pose a threat...etc.etc

Chapter 11: The Hippus Hegemony

Year 387-402

[size=+1]E[/size]ver since its construction Rhoanna would climb the Tower of Divination every so often, clutching a curious old leather tome in her hands. Sometimes she spent days up in the Tower refusing to see anyone, then she would come down as if nothing was amiss. What she did up there was subject to much tavern talk among the Hippus. Some speculated that she studied ancient Elohim texts, trying to divine the future. Others thought she communicated with Esus through the Tower. A few even dared suggest she was reading the Infernal Grimoire uncovered in the Infernal city of Dis. Strangely enough, those who spread that particular rumour often disappeared.

Following the subjugation of the Sheaim she would visit the Tower even more often. Nobody dared question her of course. After all, under Rhoanna's rule the Hippus had known nothing but wealth and glory. A leader of her stature certainly was allowed some eccentricities.

Then one day, after coming down from the Tower she gathered her architects and gave them plans for the construction of new Towers. They were to be the Tower of Necromancy, the Tower of Alteration, and the Tower of Elements. She also talked of a final Tower, to be revealed when the time was right.

In those times slaves had become fairly common across Hippus lands, most of them captured during the Hippus-Balseraph War. Each Tower was built using mostly slave labour. The construction of the Tower of Necromancy was particularly controversial. Rhoanna had decreed that any slave who died during the construction would be entombed within the walls of the Tower. Though many found this disturbing nobody dared say anything openly. Why should they care what happens to dead slaves, they rationalized. In addition, each Tower allowed our Mages to control certain aspects of the arcane. For example the Tower of Necromancy controlled the power of Death. Dead slaves were certainly a small price to pay for such power.

When the time finally came for the final Tower. Rhoanna revealed the Towers' true purpose: Mastery of all magic on Erebus and by extension, rule the world.

The End

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 387

Changed my mind about research, going for Animal Mastery (which will take 4 turns) to get Beastmasters.

Re-organizing the army and fleet for an invasion of Os-Gabella. It shouldn't take too much to force her capitulation.

Year 388

Upgraded Assassins to Shadows, now that we have Shadows I'm going to see if I can steal the Nether Blade from Rathus Denmora (Sidar hero).

Upgraded some Frigates to Man O'War, the goal is to upgrade all existing Frigates to Man O'War.

The invasion force has set out to Sheaim lands. We'll land on the western side of their continent.

Year 389

Located the Nether Blade. Rathus no longer has it, Sandalphon passed it to Mary Morbus!

Year 391 - Researched Animal Mastery, now going for Alteration then back to Divine Essense.

Year 393 - Finished building the Forbidden Palace in Hexam, significantly reducing maintenance cost.

Year 394

Doh...Sandalphon just put Mary onto a transport ship and sent her toward Sheaim lands since he's at war with Os-Gabella. We're pursuing.

Changed my mind about Domination victory, gonna try the Tower of Mastery. If I can vassal Os-Gabella, I should have all the mana I need. I'm only missing 5 mana types. With Os-Gabella's Fire and Dimensional Mana that would leave 3 left. I have all the raw nodes I need from the Balseraph continent and I've started building Body, Entropy, and Enchantment Nodes.

Year 395 - Assault on the Sheaim

We've arrived in Sheaim lands and easily captured the cities of Vargstad and Graelingvig. Our fleet simply made a pass by the 2 cities and our troops made amphibious assaults from the ships. Os-Gabella is still using Warrios and Drowns.

Year 396 - Subjugation of Os-Gabella

Captured the Sheaim city of Tongurstad. It had slightly better defenders, but nothing that would pose a challenge: Chaos Marauders, Chariots, Revelers.

With the capture of Vargstad, Graelingvig and Tongurstad, Os-Gabella has capitulated. The only thing we demand from her is her mana.

Spoiler Sheaim continent :

We've adopted the Undercouncil resolution to setup a Slave Trade.

Year 397 - The Road to Mastery

We now have all the mana types needed.

Finished building the Tower of Necromancy in Cafes using purchased Slaves.

Switched research to Arcane Lore (3 turns) for the Tower of Mastery.

Managed to steal the Nether Blade from the Sidar! Though I'm not gonna get a chance to use it.

Year 398 - Finished building the Tower of Elements in Cafes.

Year 399 - Finished building the Tower of Alteration in Cafes.

Year 400 - Done researching Arcane Lore. Now we're saving up money so we can build the Tower of Mastery in 1 turn. We only need 2670 gold to purchase enough slaves to hurry the Tower.

Year 401

Started construction of the Tower of Mastery in Cafes.

Year 402 - Victory

Just for fun I granted independence to all our overseas colonies and spawned an interesting variety of civs: Jonas Endain, Valledia, Alexis and Charadon.

Epilogue

The Hippus Legacy

by Nevaal the Monk, Order of Elohim

[size=+1]N[/size]o nation on Erebus know the Hippus as we do. Therefore I feel it is my duty to dispell many of the prejudices and myths concerning the Hippus. During my extensive travels through the Hegemony I have witnessed much evil but also much good from our neighbours the Hippus. Many Elohim cannot help but feel bitter toward the Hippus for what they did in the early years in the Age of Rebirth. However the wisest among us, Einion Logos, holds a different view. He has often remarked that the Elohim have known nothing but peace ever since the Hippus-Elohim War, many centuries ago. Indeed, the protection of the Hippus have allowed us to continue our mission of tending to the sick.

The construction of the Tower of Mastery in Year 402 brought about an unprecedented era of peace across Erebus. With all magic under their control, the Hippus could have easily ruled the world by force. Instead they chose to rule by cooperation, using their mastery of the arcane to enforce peace worldwide. Eventually the Hippus even withdrew from world affairs and granted independence to all its colonies. They returned to their ancestral homeland, rarely venturing out. The Hippus were only seen by merchants and traders that travelled to the homeland.

However some believe that they never truly granted independence to their colonies. They maintain that the Hippus simply subtituted rule by force with rule through deception. As evidence, they point to the often dark nature of the rulers governing these independent nations.

According to these cynics Rhoanna is in fact the Dark Magistrate of the Undercouncil and rules from the shadows, now more than ever. Pay no heed to these imaginary conspiracy theories.

In general this was a relatively challenging game though there's 2 things I feel did reduce the challenge.

The first is the Go9, which I think should be changed to reduce the amount of mercenaries one is able to recruit. Either by increasing their cost or limiting it to a certain number of mercenaries per city per turn.

The second is the undercouncil slave trade resolution. Buying slaves at 10 gold each to provide 15 hammers of production seems too powerful. That's a gold:hammer ratio of 2:3, compared to directly using gold to hurry production which is usually 3:1. Either the ratio could be modified, or the number of slaves recruiter per turn could be reduced.

Anyway it was alot of fun :) Thanks to everyone for reading and posting comments!

Thanks EverNoob for another good story! It helped me understand the power of the council.

So what's the next story about?

Very fine story. I hope you will write a .31 story soon. I second the idea of going for a good civ next.

Personally I'd like to see either a very Evil game (Sheam, Perpentach or Doviello) or a very Good one (Bannor or Elohim).

Anyway, I trust Evernoob to make a good story out of any game he chooses.

By the way thanks Evernoob to introducing me to FFH, your Grigori game was what brought me in this marvelous world. But damn you for all my spare time disappearing on Erebus! :D

But damn you for all my spare time disappearing on Erebus! :D

I know exactly what you mean ;)

The next game is going to be Elohim (Einion Logos) or a retry of the Calabim (Alexis). Both have alot of flavour and a very strong theme. Guess I'm going to leave it for ppl to vote!

So far looks to be 2 for Good, 0 for Evil.

Top Bottom