Science Victory Guide (Any Difficulty)

That's actually not entirely exact. The increase is 5% of the base cost.

So if the base cost is C and you make N cities (after capital) the tech costs (1+0.05*N)C.

Therefore going from N to N+1 you go from (1+0.05N)C to (1+0.05(N+1))C. Therefore if you look right now at your beaker generation B you need the new city to generate ((1+0.05(N+1))/(1+0.05N)-1) * B. The interesting thing is this quantity converges to 0.

Example: You have 3 cities (+capital). And generate 300bpt. You need the 4th to generate (1.20/1.15-1)*300=13 (and not 15).

Note that this is based on your previous BPT. If you want to know for your current BPT you have to divide your current BPT by the quantity (1+0.05(N+1))/(1+0.05N) to discount your BPT. This represents the bpt without the increase. If your city makes at least the difference then it is pulling its weight.

Example: You want to know if the 4th city (after capital) pulls its weight with 16bpt while you're making 350bpt.
350/((1+0.05(N+1))/(1+0.05N)) = 335.41
350-335.41=14.58
16>14.58 The city pulls its weight.

This is an extremely precise and extremely useful post. Thanks Acken.

That's actually not entirely exact. The increase is 5% of the base cost.

So if the base cost is C and you make N cities (after capital) the tech costs (1+0.05*N)C.

Therefore going from N to N+1 you go from (1+0.05N)C to (1+0.05(N+1))C. Therefore if you look right now at your beaker generation B you need the new city to generate ((1+0.05(N+1))/(1+0.05N)-1) * B. The interesting thing is this quantity converges to 0.

Example: You have 3 cities (+capital). And generate 300bpt. You need the 4th to generate (1.20/1.15-1)*300=13 (and not 15).

Note that this is based on your previous BPT. If you want to know for your current BPT you have to divide your current BPT by the quantity (1+0.05(N+1))/(1+0.05N) to discount your BPT. This represents the bpt without the increase. If your city makes at least the difference then it is pulling its weight.

Example: You want to know if the 4th city (after capital) pulls its weight with 16bpt while you're making 350bpt.
350/((1+0.05(N+1))/(1+0.05N)) = 335.41
350-335.41=14.58
16>14.58 The city pulls its weight.

Nice info thanks.

I have yet another question!

I'm trying to use the benchmarks in the OP as a nice indication of how my game is progressing, but I'm exclusively playing Babylon to try to hit those beaker milestones. I recently tried a game with Shoshone and found that even though I can hit a t90 NC with 3 cities, I can't get Education before t120. Is it normal for a non science heavy Civ to take a little longer or am I just misplaying? (Emperor btw)

Agree with Acken, but keep in mind that the Shoshone is a not a crappy civ. So unless you are playing small Islands or Archi, start Pathfinder-Pathfinder and scout aggresively. Cycle through culture - pop - tech when you choose your ruins, and after t20 chose faith so you don't have to build a shrine. BO: PathF-PathF-worker (or granary if you have stolen a worker and you have the right dirt, granary resource and a couple of hills, you may even consider building a 4th Pathfinder). The Shoshone start is incredibly strong and you should make the most of it.

I just recently gave Shoshone a go again (for the Deity Liberty v Tradition challenge). They are fun!

I agree with Bleinraner that Pathfinders are OP. I should have trusted the UA and skipped shrine and monument from my early build queue. I had three PF upgraded to CB, and that was only because, in each case, my other choices were maps. An achievement badge pops up for 5 PF hits.

I only picked culture once or twice (the value does not increase for later turns) but you can actually get faith twice in a row (since they are two different results). The first is enough for a pantheon. The second gets you a quarter of the way towards a GPr. So founding should be pretty easy most games.

Top Bottom