Derf's Ashes Modules

Derf

Modular Mushroom
Some time back I made a few modules for RiFE 1.3x, then went off Civ in general for a bit and forgot all about them. RiFE updated to 1.4 and was followed by Ashes of Erebus, and my modules ceased to function due to the changes. More recently, I said I'd take on a few older modules that other people made and update them for Ashes

This thread is here to collect all my modules in one place. One still has a thread of it's own, the others are all found right here.
For posterity, historical reasons, and probably other things besides, you can find the old thread containing my RiFE 1.3x modules here.

These modules are all intended for use with Ashes of Erebus - they have not been tested on RiFE 1.4 without AoE. Use them there at your own risk - but do tell me if they work fine, I'll add a tag on them here.

They have also not been tested with my Rebirth and Legend modmod. However, this is a continuation of RiFE itself (without AoE) so as above, they should work with the following exceptions:
Lizard Art Fix, Frozen, Jotnar. These modules have been merged (or updated) into Rebirth and Legend, and the versions found here are not compatible

Important note for users of the SVN version of AoE:
Thanks to black_imperator, my modules will soon be available without needing to download them here, and you can find them either by way of the launcher or in the inactive modules folder. The most recent versions will still be available on the download link below, but unless the updates have not yet reached the newest revision you don't actually need to download any of them anymore.
Please still report bugs for them here though, so as not to clutter the Final Fixes Reborn thread.

My modules:

Master of Mana Buildings
Latest version: 1.1
Spoiler :
This module is the merger of what before were the 'Hell Stables' and 'Arcane Forge' modules, both buildings that are found within the Master of Mana modmod. As the name implies, there may later be further buildings from that modmod brought here, but for now this is simply a straight up port and merge.
The Hell Stable is Hippus-only, available at Infernal Pact. The National Wonder provides 2 Nightmare, consumes 1 food, and may only be built once. Good for players who have Hell Terrain turned off or the Compact Enforced option turned on.
The Arcane Forge is the Amurite-only replacement of the standard Forge, providing +1 Happiness from Enchantment Mana and a free Enchanted Blade promotion for all eligible units built in, or passing through, the city.

If you're thinking of a MoM building you'd like to see similarly borrowed in this fashion, please remember MoM is a very different modmod, and many things simply have no partner in Ashes of Erebus. Conversions *can* be made where necessary, but if you're suggesting them, make them make sense.

Fortifications
Latest version: 1.2
Spoiler :
As with the above, this merges the old modules 'Claimable Tower of Eyes' and 'Fort Fixes'. There are no other changes or planned additions to this mod.
This module makes the Tower of Eyes claimable like a fort, and after a short delay it will upgrade into itself - but with a cultural control radius equal to that of the fourth tier Dwarven Mine.
Fort Fixes ensures the Commander II (and equivalents) are properly applied to Fort Commanders (and equivalents) on Rinwell Isle and the Tower of Eyes, and also makes the Water Walking promotion get applied properly for all iterations of the Rinwell Isle improvement.

Advanced Workers
Latest version: 1.2
Spoiler :
Previously the 'Luchuirp Worker' and 'Refugee Worker' modules, Advanced Workers is aimed, unsurprisingly, at workers.
As Kilmorph taught the Luchuirp what they had forgotten, Mud Golems are now also eligible for the Dwarven Worker promotion, letting them build Dwarven Mines.
Grigori Refugees may now also be upgraded into Workers, letting you take advantage of those races who have racial bonuses on their workers, or just boost your workforce a bit.
Finally, this module introduces a new Amurite-only unit, the Geomancer, identical to the worker in all but one regard: They can built Mana Nodes. This has *not* been gameplay-tested, and untyped mana may cause issues with automated workers.

More Arcane
Latest version: 0.4
Spoiler :
An experimental module, this introduces mounted versions of the Arcane units. This still requires balancing and tweaking in many places, and as such has a thread of its own here.

While this module does not currently support any module-added civilizations, they will use the civilization-unspecific (Adept, Mage, Archmage) units like all other civs without a unique varient.

Minimod: Giantkin Fix
SVN version note: This module is not available for the SVN version, as this fix has now been merged, rendering the module obsolete.
Spoiler :
The Giantkin racial promotion should be followed by a series of Giantkin upgrades, starting with Renowned, that make them tougher. However the first of them was coded to require two applications of the Giantkin racial, which could never happen, even with a Jotnar module loaded. This mini-module fixes that.

Planned Modules and Updates:

Mana Keeps
Spoiler :
Mana Keeps are going to be National Wonders, with one for each kind of mana except for untyped and Refined. A Civilization will be able to own multiple Mana Keeps, but only one of each Mana Type. They will require access to two sources of their appropriate mana to build, will be fairly expensive in hammers, and when completed will produce one of that Mana type. There may be secondary benefits as well, and related Mana types may provide a bonus to build Mana Keeps, but these are as yet undecided.

MA: Compatibility
Spoiler :
Not actually one module but likely many, these are intended to provide any additional changes that need to be made for module-added civilizations and modules that modify the adept/mage/archmage units.

Training Academies
Spoiler :
Tentative module to enhance unit training slightly. Training Academies will come in several flavours for different kinds of units (archers, melee, etc) that already have a building that trains them. After building enough of them across your empire, a city with a Command Post can build (or have built by a Great General) a national wonder academy for that unit type, which can train units even further. The exact details are still being worked out.

Modules by others, updated by me:

Special note: These modules make use of python, something I have little experience with and have not used in my own modules. The python code in the following modules has only received at best minimal testing from me, and so there may be issues. Please report them to me here! LPlate has graciously offered his assistance should they be over my head, but even together we are not mind readers (the crystal ball was stolen by the Maogata - again) and so we cannot fix things we are not told about.

Maogata
Latest version: 0.5
Original author: Shoggi
Spoiler :
Adds the Maogata civilization to the game, a feline race. Link to original thread - as yet, no changes have been made except for those needed in updates.

Myu Collective
Latest version: 0.7
Original author: EugeneStyles
Spoiler :
Adds the new civilization the Myu Collective to the game, a race of psychic dwarves. Link to original thread

Saila, the Everchanging
Latest version: 2.3
SVN-version note: This module has been updated by black_imperator and can be found in your Inactive Modules folder
Spoiler :
Adds just one unit to the game, Saila the Everchanging. Spawns as a one-strength barbarian unit, but each time she's killed she comes back stronger on the side of the Civ who killed her.

Keepers of Noggormotha
Latest version: 1.4
Original author: jonnes
SVN-version note: This module has been updated by black_imperator and can be found in your Inactive Modules folder
Spoiler :
The Keepers of Noggormotha are a group of units who each hold a piece of the demon Noggormotha within them, who wants to be reunited to reform into a powerful entity. As each Keeper slays another Keeper, they acquire the piece resident in their slain brother and grow more powerful.

Jotnar
Latest version: 2.23
Original authors: Opera, Shoggi, the RiFE team
Additional Note: This module is no longer maintained. There is a version available for 14.11, but I cannot guarantee whether or not it will work. A version may be forthcoming for the svn version depending on what I do with it.
Spoiler :
This is the Giantkin race that was made, but for the most part left as a disabled module. Version 1.1 available below is the last straight-port (and bug-fix) version of this module. Versions 2.0 and above have been overhauled by me, and are not save-game compatible with any previous versions.
Neither the straight-port or my overhauls versions are compatible with LPLate's JotnarL module.
NOTICE: If you are getting Text Key errors with the overhauled version, remove the CIV4GameText_Jotnar.xml in Assets\XML\Text folder of Ashes of Erebus.

Frozen
Latest version: 1.12
Original author: TC01
Additional note: I am no longer handling updates to this module. There is a version available for 14.11, but I cannot guarantee it functions. There is a functional version available in the svn version.
Spoiler :
Adds the Frozen to the game, a new summonable Civilization that is a cross between the Illians and the Infernals, led by Taranis the Unchanging, Mulcarn's Archangel. The Frozen are summoned with the Liberation ritual, gain Frozen Souls when units with the Winterborn promotion are killed, and can ascend Taranis to Taranis Ascended - which prevents Auric from doing so, even if he becomes slain.

Scion Healthcare
Latest version: 1.7
Original author: odalrick
Spoiler :
Link to original thread: Clicky. Details, as written by odalrick:
I got tired of all the useless health buildings in my build queue as Scions of Patria. I know they are there so you can combat Unhealthy Discontent before Sorcery, but their names still annoy me.
Why would Scions have an infirmary? Just die already and accept the Emperors Gift.
Why waste effort on building a Granary, just starve and accept the Emperors Gift.
Why an Elder Council when every single citizen in the empire is older than other civilizations?
So I replaced the health buildings with unique buildings, intended to have about the same value to a Scion player as the original buildings have to a regular civ.

Khazad: The Next Generation (aka Dwarves)
Original author: Beardy Dan
Spoiler :
Original thread link: Clicky. Makes some tweaks to the Khazad (and a few to the Luchuirp) that changes their arcane units and fort commanders. See thread for original details, and changelog for my additions and tweaks.

Werepyres
Spoiler :
Original thread link: Clicky. What happens when a Werewolf gains Vampirism? Or a Vampire becomes a werewolf? With this module, they gain Conflicted Blood as a promotion, which has a chance to kill the unit. But if they don't die, after a few turns they become stronger instead - they become Werepyres.

Lizard Art Fix
Latest version: 1.4
Original author: Milega
Spoiler :
Original thread link: Clicky. Several units in the Cualli and Mazatl civilizations have human artwork, or don't make sense - such as a Chariot in a jungle. This module provides lizard art for Great and Fort Commanders, and disables those units that don't make sense in a jungle. Additionally, lizards that stray out of jungles now get a promotion that weakens them slightly.

Reformed Liches
Original author: Odalrick
Original thread
Short description: Better dying through unholy rituals

Research Grants
Original author: Odalrick
Original thread
Short description: Spend gold to make your arcane units immobile for a short time, but afterwards gain an experience boost.

Aside from 'More Arcane', the latest versions of these three modules will always be linked to below. My Dropbox is used here to make it easy for me to provide updates - if this is a problem please let me know and I'll send you the modules by PM instead.
To aid me with links, there are no version numbers provided in the download names. To find what version of a module you are running, simply go into the folder for that module and check the text files there - version contains only the version, the changelog is... well, the changelog, and info is used by the launcher.

Download Links
All downloads for both 14.11 and svn versions of Ashes of Erebus are now contained on my Google Drive, available here. Downloads are organised by folder, please make sure you use the correct folder for your version of Ashes of Erebus.

Last edited:
That was fast.

These are the simple ones - they're only a few lines of XML here and there.
More Arcane is a slightly bigger project, mainly because I never actually finished it, and I don't have the original notes I made on it - except for the old thread still knocking about here.

Thread has been updated and revamped. Entries for Maogata, Myu Collective and Salia the Everchanging have been added, the latter two are not available until I get permissions for them, and for a bit more sanity with new versions downloads are now handled via my Dropbox.

Update to Fortifications. New versions is 1.1.
Changelog:
Fixed Tower of Eyes spawning twice in a Custom Game with 'All Unique Features' enabled. The upgraded version should no longer spawn. Does not break existing saved games.

Keepers of Noggormotha has also been updated and made available.

Jotnar has also been updated and made available, however as has been noted several times since RiFE 1.3x it badly needs a rework. Having already read through LPLate's JotnarL thread, I already know we have two different visions of how to handle this, however until I've taken some time to play the Jotnar and take on board various advice, I cannot yet provide an idea of exactly what my vision is.

Thanks!
Myu Collective has now been made available.
There is also a known issue with 'More Arcane' where the Mounted Archmage promotion is not removing the Mounted Mage promotion.
So far, most of the python issues that I expected to appear... aren't. But that doesn't mean there aren't any.

As has been mentioned in other threads I'm also working on updating the Jotnar module (which has been done) and giving it the overhaul it definitely badly needs. The same will soon go for the Frozen for completeness.

Btw, it's Saila, not Salia :)

You know, i was confused there myself for a while . "Did i actually call her Salia and am just misremembering it?"

Apparently my memory is not as bad as i feared. :)

Anyway, is ashes using the rife launcher? if not, you don't really need to keep the version.txt and info.txt because that was mostly meant for that.

Otherwise keep up the good work.

Thanks. Fixed that mistake. I never could remember which it was, and I guess I got into the habit of Salia somehow.
Honestly, I have no idea if it is or isn't - it doesn't work for me, largely because I'm running Windows stuff like this on Wine on Linux, and the launcher has never actually worked on it. I resort to manually moving the folders between modules and inactive modules, then telling the CivilizationIV.ini file to always load the Ashes mod whenever the main Civ4 game is launched.
It's a workaround, but since Ashes is kinda the only Civ4 mod I play, it's a viable one.

Added a Planned Modules section to the first post, where I'll place my various ideas for modules that may or may not get developed.

Jotnar module updated to 1.1:
-Attempted to fix the Animal Packs over-spamming Pegasus units and allowing Sea Serpents to run inland and eat Settlers and Workers.
-Fixed several promotions that were updated incorrectly.

More Arcane updated to 0.3. See the More Arcane thread for the changelog.

Frozen module is now available in the first post. For best results, also see the Illian fix in this post which will fix Auric and give him both his standard traits.

However, the module currently has a few python-related issues. Namely, that whenever any event occurs, only one event actually happens.
LPLate, I might need your help on this one.

It'll be Monday before I get a chance to look at it.

Edit: I took one glance at the events python. It defines functions that the RifE modular system would expect to be in their own python files. That might be the issue.

OK, yeah, that would account for it. I just gave an attempt to fix that myself and ended up making things worse. Events triggered normally, but the options for most events were available even if not qualified for them, and they didn't have any effect.
Gonna have to figure out the modular python a bit better, methinks.

Jotnar 2.0 has been released! Get it at the first post as usual. Jotnar 1.1 has also been made available as a separate download.
1.1 is the last straight-port version of the module, and is provided for historical purposes. It will continue to receive bug fixes, but otherwise will remain true to the original module.
2.0 marks the start of my overhauled Jotnar module, and is NOT, I repeat NOT savegame compatible with the older versions.

Jotnar 2.0 Changelog:
-Only Citizens can build tile improvements now
-All units can be trained, with the exception of Skald, Vala, Mouth of the Divine and Voice of the Divine. These follow the +4/+6 rule used for Arcane and Divine trees
-Giants are no longer barred from entering ocean, however they cannot cross water unless using Water Walking at present. This will be handled in a later version
-Removed the Longship, Packmaster (all) and Pirate promtions
-Uxol's traits have been changed. He no longer gets the Pretender or Raiders traits.
-All units have been brought into line with existing units. With the exception of the Divine line, they now properly replace existing unitclasses, instead of defining their own.
-Costs are not yet balanced!
-Gothi are trainable, and when they hit level 4 they can upgrade to Mouth of the Divine
-Mouth of the Divine can upgrade to Voice of the Divine at level 6. Limit of 4 per player.
-Sleogrrekkr now replaces Adept, is trainable, and can upgrade to Skald at level 4
-Skald now replaces Mage and can upgrade to Vala at level 6
-Vala now replaces Archmage
-The Reaver and Huscarl units have been removed.
-Jotnar Slaves now correctly have the Worker unitcombat
-Jotnar Citizens are trainable (They will still spawn too) and are ONLY worker units. They do not upgrade. A National Unit limit may be imposed on them, depending on their spawn mechanics.
-Hurlers now replace Archers and require Archery
-Deadeyes now replace Longbowmen
-Tryggvi now replace Marksman, and can only be upgraded into by a unit of level 6+
-Freebooters now replace Arquebus, are now Archer units instead of Mounted, do not get better Goodyhut results, and receive defensive bonuses.
-Fyrd now replace Axemen
-Jarls now replace Champions
-Vanir now replace Immortals (They can still found temples of Kilmorph however. Not sure why.)
-Jotun now replace Phalanx
-Jotnar Berserkers now replace Berserkers
-Thrall Militia still replace Warriors, however they are no longer worker units and now resemble the Jotnar Citizens.
-Troll-based Recon line has not been changed.
-KNOWN ISSUE: Promotions category of the Civilopedia is having issues. Switch to a different category and back again and it should filter to a specific kind of promotions. As long as you don't filter by 'Effect' or 'All' Promotions, it is otherwise fine. Hotfix 2.01 fixes this issue. If you are experiencing it, please re-download.

The module still requires balancing and user feedback. As such, here are my current future plans for this overhaul:

-Redo unit costs and attack/defence values. Giants are intended to be stronger than the units they replace, but cost more.
-Add in a way to cross water. At present, Giants can only do this with the Water Walking spell.

Future plans will be added as I come up with them - or as you suggest them.

a few issues with the mod:
there is no description of the world spell. no idea what it does even when I decided to cast it.
lots of text key errors especially the civ descriptions and units.
purple graphic blocks for some promotions (including the nogormotha ones)

hope these can be fixed :)

The best answer I can give to that is: Which module? I maintain ten now, including the Frozen which still need work.

In the Noggormotha module, the pink boxes for promotions and spells is known. It was that way when I picked up the module to update them, they have no appropriate artwork at present.
For text key errors, the only ones I'm seeing are in the blurbs and histories of the 'pedia - many of which simply haven't been written. Functionality has come first.
As for the world-spells, which civilization? Maogata, Myu or Jotnar (And if Jotnar, the 1.1 or 2.01 versions)?

To be able to do something about this, ideally I need more specifics. The Maogata stole the crystal ball, and the Myu won't let me read minds, so I have to rely on people actually giving me details.

OK then, here we go. Jotnar 2.1 has been released

NOTICE: If you are getting Text Key errors with the overhauled version, remove the CIV4GameText_Jotnar.xml in Assets\XML\Text folder of Ashes of Erebus. The old Jotnar text was left in that and conflicts with this module.

CHANGELOG:

-Upgrading to Vanir now requires the unit to be of level 6+, as other Immortals units
-Skald, Jotun and Jarl now receive defensive bonuses again
-Thrall Milita has been given +3 attack strength, does not receive Free Unit or the ability to hurry production and has had the cost increased to 45
-Jotnar Settler, Hurler, Deadeye and Great Hall have had their 'pedia entries corrected. They now point to the generic 'pedia for the units the replace. Great Hall points to generic Palace entry.
-Jotnar Staedding now correctly sets city plot-radius to +1, instead of +3
-All UnitAI's have been fixed. The AI should now be even better at handling the Civ. In theory.
-Wisdom of the Ancients has a quick addition to it's 'pedia entry that should make it unmissably clear that it doubles the experience for all units with the Giantkin racial promotion.
-Thrall Militia have been renamed to Jotnar Warriors

Jotnar 2.11 update is now live:
-Jotnar Warriors (Formerly Thrall Militia) can now upgrade into other Giantkin units as per the regular Warrior upgrades.

There is one new known issue - as the python code for the Jotnar was never made modular, it remains in the Ashes of Erebus python code, and as such cannot be easily disabled.
What this means is that the python code that would regularly give you a Jotnar Citizen is still ticking away, just as it should, and giving Jotnar players the appropriate unit - a Jotnar Worker. Before, this was a good thing, it had to be used to upgrade into all other unittypes. However with the overhaul, all it serves to do is generate a mass of workers.
Jotnar Workers are better than other workers. They can actually defend themselves (though they won't stand up to a decent attack) giving you an emergency defence force, and if they're within a city and have the Artisan promotions, will contribute hammers to the current work there.
But the issue remains that playing the Jotnar will effectively create a mass of free worker units. I cannot impose a National Unit limit as they use the same UnitClass as regular workers. That change could be reversed, but would break savegame compatibility. Short of that however, I see no easy fix to this problem.
Thoughts?

possibly make jotnar workers worse with a slow work rate (similar to slaves?) , the mass of workers will make up for slow work rate. don't know if that is possible though, I'm not a coder.

Top Bottom