Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

Survivalism is likely for scouts only - otherwise, why would you need March.
EDIT: And +100% defence for regular units clearly would be overpowered.

here it is for any non-believers.
just think if you would have ordered it monday 9-13 you coulda had it yesterday like me!
really it is shipping right now from gamesstop's website with overnight delivery option, if you order right now it could make it to you by the weekend!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78640

Never doubted you for a second :)! The way I figured it was that-even on the extreme off-chance that you were simply having a lend of us-its been a huge amount of fun :)!

I think its important to recognize, though, that the stuff in the Strategy Guide might not be 100% correct. I remember that the guides I got with Civ4 did contain some errors-just FYI!

Aussie.

:(

We need civilopedia dammit!!!!!

Range / Mobility / Logistics are available for land units too through Shock or Drill III as well it seems.

Yeah, seems so.
Mobility will be great for cavalry - 3 moves is just not enough for its ability to move after attacking. (And tanks, of course.)
Range for non-air units, though, is questionable, and, maybe, overpowered.

Yea, stuff like first strikes and collateral damage reduction was more interesting than just dumbing shock / drill down to what they have now.

If you actually analyzed the data on which gave better returns combat was almost always better. First strikes might as well have not existed due to it being inferior to combat in basically every respect.

Realism inaccuracies aside, I think the Civ 5 approach makes gameplay more interesting as it makes your maneuvering increasingly important and also doesn't pigeon-hole players into choosing just 1 promotion line.

Thoughts on 'who gets what'... each type has 2 'main promotions' and several others that follow from it

Melee units(including Mounted/Armored) [* probably limited, ie true 'melee', 'mounted', armored' may not all get it]
Main: Drill, Shock,
Cover*, Charge*, Ambush*, Formation*, Siege*, Mobility*, Amphibious, (March/Repair one promotion, different names), Medic, Sentry

Ranged Land units
Accuracy, Barrage,
Cover, Formation, Siege, Logistics, Range, Volley, March, Sentry

Naval Units
Bombardment, Targeting
Mobility, Logistics, Range, Volley, Supply

Scouts
Scouting, Survivalist
Medic

Air
Siege, Bombard, Mobility
Repair, Ambush, Targeting, Range, Evasion, Logistics, Mobility

Fighters only
Interception, Dogfighting
Evasion, Sortie

How so? You're looking at tier 3.

Other tier 3 poromotions give +65-75% bonus for both attack and defence. Seems rather fair to me.

More wonders

Stonehenge
120 hammers
gt per engineer
gt per pts 1
culture 8
adds culture to your empire (above I guess)
prereq calander

Oracle

150 hammers
gt per scientist
gt per pts 1
culture 1
adds free policy
prereq philosophy

Great Library

150 hammers
gt per scientist
gt per pts 1
culture 1
one free tech
prereq writing

Great Lighthouse

200 hammers
gt per merchant
gt per pts 1
culture 1
adds 1 movement and sight to naval vessels

Wow, Great Library & Great Lighthouse got kinda nerfed ;)!

I think its important to recognize, though, that the stuff in the Strategy Guide might not be 100% correct. I remember that the guides I got with Civ4 did contain some errors-just FYI!

Aussie.

Yes and this guide has a few self contradicting ommisions as well, but thats the fun part of being a CIV addict, once we do get all the correct information and adjust our gameplay accordingly they will release a patch and we get to start all over again!!:eekdance:

it seems that in Shared promotions only Indirect fire is actually a true promotion. All others in Shared promotions seem to be an automatic benifit of a policy, wonder or tech.

Air promotions are next!! (and there are ALOT of them)

Isn't embarkment both? As I understand it, it starts off as a normal promotion, but once you get optics (I think it's optics...) your units automatically receive the promotion.

I'm confused why everyone just ignored my post reminding you what Greg said about the guides release date. -.- Until a pic of him/her holding the guide is posted I don't see why all of you would buy into what he/she is saying.
Perhaps no one shares your cynicism.
Personaly I find the "if you don't post a picture/screen shot it didn't happen" argument a bit childish.

Isn't embarkment both? As I understand it, it starts off as a normal promotion, but once you get optics (I think it's optics...) your units automatically receive the promotion.

I don't think embark is actually a promotion - probably just a status icon for when your unit is in transport form.

A lot of the shared "promotions" are more like status effects from having certain wonders, SPs, or whatever. Just a way to more easily see the effects on units.

What does the Statue of Liberty and the Machu Picchu wonders do?

How so? You're looking at tier 3.

Other tier 3 poromotions give +65-75% bonus for both attack and defence. Seems rather fair to me.

Overpowered is, perhaps, a bad choice of a word. Unbalanced would be better. Defenders have large enough advantage over attackers anyhow, without those 100%.

I'm not so sure that those pre-reqs are 'or'. I'm thinking that you will need them all.

I'm almost certain they are 'or', some of them look like they are designed for different types of units (how to get Dogfighting and Drill?)

Second installment

RANGED PROMOTIONS

Accuracy I- +20% ranged combat strength against unit in open terrain (no hills/forest/jungle), no prerequisite

Accuracy II- +20% ranged combat strength against unit in open terrain (no hills/forest/jungle), requires Accuracy I

Accuracy III- +25% ranged combat strength against unit in open terrain (no hills/forest/jungle), requires Accuracy II

Barrage I- +25% ranged combat strength unit in rough terrain (hills/forest/jungle), no prerequisite

Barrage II- +25% ranged combat strength unit in rough terrain (hills/forest/jungle), requires Barrage I

Barrage III- +25% ranged combat strength unit in rough terrain (hills/forest/jungle), requires Barrage II

Bombartment I- +20% combat strength against land unit, no prerequisite

Bombardment II- +20% combat strength against land unit, requires Bombardment I

Bombardment III- +20% combat strength against land unit, requires Bombardment II

Could be an error... But since Accuracy and barrage says + 25% ranged combat strenght and bombardment +20% combat strength... My guess is that Bombard is for close combat.

Thanks!

Looks like Russia and Songhai got shafted on the unique unit department.

Don't agree with you on Songhai. The bonus to attacking cities (coupled with their Unique Ability) is going to make the Songhai a scary Civ to be neighbours with. Even being across the sea won't be much defense, given that their embarked units can defend themselves ;)!

Aussie.

Top Bottom