Nuked Capitol did not prevent Tech Win

Ontolog

Chieftain
I nuked the Chinese capitol city of Beijing because they launched the spaceship. However once the spaceship reached its destination they still won. Is this suppose to happen?

Did you capture the Capital after you nuked it? You have to make sure you capture the enemies capital if they're building the United Nations, the Space Ship etc, it's the only way to prevent it. If you did capture the capital, I'm not sure what you can do.

In contrast to other cities that are nuked, a capital "survives" and has 1 pop. To win you need to capture the city as Kadazzle said.

I nuked the Chinese capitol city of Beijing because they launched the spaceship. However once the spaceship reached its destination they still won. Is this suppose to happen?

Do you mean you nuked them AFTER they launched the spaceship? If so, there's your problem. After the launch the spaceship, the only way to stop them is to wipe out their entire civilization before the spaceship arrived.

Do you mean you nuked them AFTER they launched the spaceship? If so, there's your problem. After the launch the spaceship, the only way to stop them is to wipe out their entire civilization before the spaceship arrived.

? I am not 100% sure (since you seem so certain to be right after we´ve been two persons saying something different), but here I think you are wrong. It is enough to capture the capital even after they have launched the spaceship. However, it is not enough to nuke the capital, you do actually need to capture it.

Someone that can confirm what is correct?

Alright, so I tried this out on Emperor with Rome. China launched space ship (16 years, 8 turns) so I nuked their capital and captured it. It didn't give me any notice saying that I stopped their possible victory. I waited 8 turns and nothing happen, so if you nuke their capital and capture it, you stop their space ship, even though it doesn't give you any notice.

Alright, so I tried this out on Emperor with Rome. China launched space ship (16 years, 8 turns) so I nuked their capital and captured it. It didn't give me any notice saying that I stopped their possible victory. I waited 8 turns and nothing happen, so if you nuke their capital and capture it, you stop their space ship, even though it doesn't give you any notice.

Thanks for checking my friend. Now we all know. :)

However, if you wait too long to do this the enemy probably will have built an SDI in there capital. (which realy stinks, loosing the only nuke in the game)

However, if you wait too long to do this the enemy probably will have built an SDI in there capital. (which realy stinks, loosing the only nuke in the game)

That's why you save before you launch it.

That's why you save before you launch it.

And THAT is the definition of what I call cheating.

I know it is not cheating because you do something that everybody can do and that is part of the game, but I still consider it cheating. You should be able to win the game without redoing things you don't succeed in otherwise you should play on a lower difficulty level. I promise you the game will be more fun if you do not "cheat". I know because I did that in the beginning but have stopped and realized that some problems along the road is actually good for the fun of the game.

Sorry for being off-topic.

And THAT is the definition of what I call cheating.

I know it is not cheating because you do something that everybody can do and that is part of the game, but I still consider it cheating. You should be able to win the game without redoing things you don't succeed in otherwise you should play on a lower difficulty level. I promise you the game will be more fun if you do not "cheat". I know because I did that in the beginning but have stopped and realized that some problems along the road is actually good for the fun of the game.

Sorry for being off-topic.

It's not fun when you lose the only nuke in the fame, the one power that you might have over everyone if you're getting your ass handed to you. Losing it like having an automatic in a semi-auto gun fight, you have the most powerful weapon (or most useful) but if you try to use it on the wrong person, it's gone. You're done. You have YOUR semi-auto but you suck with it.

It's just taking pre-cautionary measures, I don't save and reload before and after a failed attack or anything, I don't save and reload before every move. It's just that the nuke is too valuable to lose.

I probably would still consider it cheading though:) Although I have to admit, I do reload sometimes but only for major things like if one of my cities were captured early-game because I hadn't put any defenders on it or if I loose a battle against overwhelming odds. This only works because I save the game every seven turns because of past negative experience with the game freezing:) I guess loosing a nuke would fall into that catagory because 750 hammers just to have it against a 200 hammer building isn't fun.

I guess loosing a nuke would fall into that catagory because 750 hammers just to have it against a 200 hammer building isn't fun.

I agree, it is not fun to lose that nuke under those circumstances, but it is part of the game. Solve your problems in another way if that one didn't work out or just take the loss. But hey, that is just my opinion of what makes a game fun, i.e. the challenge and uncertainty, and you obviously think differently. Have fun civing!

SciGuy, please don't be hypocritical.

I agree with Hertsh here though. Whenever I decide to play offline, I never ever save my games. If you do have the nuke, don't be stupid about it. You can always press SELECT-WHO'S WINNING"- then look to see if the person who you're about to nuke has near 40ish techs. If they do; they most likely have the SDI.

So you just play thru for 2-4 hours straight?

SciGuy, please don't be hypocritical.

I agree with Hertsh here though. Whenever I decide to play offline, I never ever save my games. If you do have the nuke, don't be stupid about it. You can always press SELECT-WHO'S WINNING"- then look to see if the person who you're about to nuke has near 40ish techs. If they do; they most likely have the SDI.

But the people who are that farthest in tech usualy have the best cities to blow up :crazyeye:

This may be a little off topic, but can you steal a nuke by capturing the city that is harboring it? Or if you capture the city is it just destroyed? If you can capture them, the Advisor tells you what city the Manhattan Project has been built in. This could be very helpful in-game.

So you just play thru for 2-4 hours straight?

My games rarely last over 2 hours, and if they do it's when I'm in lots of wars on Deity. I don't save, because I generally have a plan that I follow and win by every time, therefore, I know I'm going to win if I follow that plan. My guide explains some of this for a couple civs (Invovles the Zulu, Aztec etc.. rush that's been seen a lot in MP) but I don't like to give out a lot of the tricks I use. Today I played 2 online Ranked Matches, and tried a new tactic with the Arabs; and it worked.

Excuse the rambling, but what I'm trying to say is; try new stuff out, and if they don't work, try again. Don't rely on one thing to win the game. If someone is winning in tech, yet you build the Manhattan Project, you really shouldn't be building that; build armies to attack your enemy, as it's obvious they have more science cities, while you're mainly production base.

I tend to not build wonders unless I'm leading comfortably, otherwise most of my online go to building defense units to protect from those rushes, and spies in my GP cities so those pesky Chinese don't take my Great People.

Still tho, I wouldn't stand playing that long without saving and taking a break. I need my air.

This has turned from a conversation about Nuking enemy capitals for tech wins to a discussion about how long people play a game before taking a break:lol:

Top Bottom