BtS Civilopedia entries for Modular XML?

Flamegrape

Warlord
I've nearly completed a modular civilization for BtS. Everything seems to be working so far. I have proper schema files placed in the Modules folder.

But what about Civilopedia text? How do I add modular Civilopedia entries?

Thouse are the easiest files to do, they don't need a schema at all just end the file in _CIV4GameText and see its structured like other game text files and your good . Obviously you only need to include the texts for the new stuff you want to add.

Teg_Navanis, in this thread over in in the Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference forum, released a Swiss modular civ intended to be used as a template or guide. I've been studying it closely.

In the Modules folder, there is a file, Switzerland_CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_CivLeaders.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Game Text Civilopedia CivLeaders -->
<Civ4GameText xmlns="http://www.firaxis.com">
	<!-- CIVILIZATION INFOS -->
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_CIV_SWITZERLAND_PEDIA</Tag>
		<English>     The Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica, German Schweiz, French Suisse, Italian Svizzera) is a landlocked Alpine country in Central Europe with a strong economy in finance and banking. Switzerland shares borders with Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. Switzerland is a Federal Republic and has a long and strong tradition of political and military neutrality. This background allows Switzerland various international co-operations and organizations.[PARAGRAPH:2]Confoederatio Helvetica is the country's official Latin name. The use of Latin avoids having to favor one of the four official languages. The abbreviation (CH) is similarly used. The Latin title Confoederatio Helvetica means Helvetic Confederation. The titles commonly used in French, Italian and Romansh translate as Swiss Confederation, while the German name of Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft translates roughly as "Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant".</English>
		<French>     The Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica, German Schweiz, French Suisse, Italian Svizzera) is a landlocked Alpine country in Central Europe with a strong economy in finance and banking. Switzerland shares borders with Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. Switzerland is a Federal Republic and has a long and strong tradition of political and military neutrality. This background allows Switzerland various international co-operations and organizations.[PARAGRAPH:2]Confoederatio Helvetica is the country's official Latin name. The use of Latin avoids having to favor one of the four official languages. The abbreviation (CH) is similarly used. The Latin title Confoederatio Helvetica means Helvetic Confederation. The titles commonly used in French, Italian and Romansh translate as Swiss Confederation, while the German name of Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft translates roughly as "Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant".</French>
		<German>     The Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica, German Schweiz, French Suisse, Italian Svizzera) is a landlocked Alpine country in Central Europe with a strong economy in finance and banking. Switzerland shares borders with Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. Switzerland is a Federal Republic and has a long and strong tradition of political and military neutrality. This background allows Switzerland various international co-operations and organizations.[PARAGRAPH:2]Confoederatio Helvetica is the country's official Latin name. The use of Latin avoids having to favor one of the four official languages. The abbreviation (CH) is similarly used. The Latin title Confoederatio Helvetica means Helvetic Confederation. The titles commonly used in French, Italian and Romansh translate as Swiss Confederation, while the German name of Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft translates roughly as "Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant".</German>
		<Italian>     The Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica, German Schweiz, French Suisse, Italian Svizzera) is a landlocked Alpine country in Central Europe with a strong economy in finance and banking. Switzerland shares borders with Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. Switzerland is a Federal Republic and has a long and strong tradition of political and military neutrality. This background allows Switzerland various international co-operations and organizations.[PARAGRAPH:2]Confoederatio Helvetica is the country's official Latin name. The use of Latin avoids having to favor one of the four official languages. The abbreviation (CH) is similarly used. The Latin title Confoederatio Helvetica means Helvetic Confederation. The titles commonly used in French, Italian and Romansh translate as Swiss Confederation, while the German name of Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft translates roughly as "Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant".</Italian>
		<Spanish>     The Swiss Confederation or Switzerland (Latin: Confoederatio Helvetica, German Schweiz, French Suisse, Italian Svizzera) is a landlocked Alpine country in Central Europe with a strong economy in finance and banking. Switzerland shares borders with Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. Switzerland is a Federal Republic and has a long and strong tradition of political and military neutrality. This background allows Switzerland various international co-operations and organizations.[PARAGRAPH:2]Confoederatio Helvetica is the country's official Latin name. The use of Latin avoids having to favor one of the four official languages. The abbreviation (CH) is similarly used. The Latin title Confoederatio Helvetica means Helvetic Confederation. The titles commonly used in French, Italian and Romansh translate as Swiss Confederation, while the German name of Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft translates roughly as "Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant".</Spanish>
	</TEXT>
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_LEADER_DUFOUR_PEDIA</Tag>
		<English>[H1]Guillaume Henri Dufour [\H1][NEWLINE][NEWLINE][BOLD]Lived: [\BOLD] 1787 - 1875[NEWLINE][PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Background:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]     Guillaume-Henri Dufour was a Swiss general and topographer. He served under Napoleon I and led the Swiss forces to victory against the Sonderbund. He presided over the first Geneva convention which established the International Red Cross. He was the most famous president of the Swiss Federal Office of Topography from 1838 to 1865.</English>
		<French>[[H1]Guillaume Henri Dufour [\H1][NEWLINE][NEWLINE][BOLD]Lived: [\BOLD] 1787 - 1875[NEWLINE][PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Background:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]     Guillaume-Henri Dufour was a Swiss general and topographer. He served under Napoleon I and led the Swiss forces to victory against the Sonderbund. He presided over the first Geneva convention which established the International Red Cross. He was the most famous president of the Swiss Federal Office of Topography from 1838 to 1865.</French>
		<German>[H1]Guillaume Henri Dufour [\H1][NEWLINE][NEWLINE][BOLD]Lived: [\BOLD] 1787 - 1875[NEWLINE][PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Background:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]     Guillaume-Henri Dufour was a Swiss general and topographer. He served under Napoleon I and led the Swiss forces to victory against the Sonderbund. He presided over the first Geneva convention which established the International Red Cross. He was the most famous president of the Swiss Federal Office of Topography from 1838 to 1865.</German>
		<Italian>[H1]Guillaume Henri Dufour [\H1][NEWLINE][NEWLINE][BOLD]Lived: [\BOLD] 1787 - 1875[NEWLINE][PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Background:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]     Guillaume-Henri Dufour was a Swiss general and topographer. He served under Napoleon I and led the Swiss forces to victory against the Sonderbund. He presided over the first Geneva convention which established the International Red Cross. He was the most famous president of the Swiss Federal Office of Topography from 1838 to 1865.</Italian>
		<Spanish>[H1]Guillaume Henri Dufour [\H1][NEWLINE][NEWLINE][BOLD]Lived: [\BOLD] 1787 - 1875[NEWLINE][PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Background:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]     Guillaume-Henri Dufour was a Swiss general and topographer. He served under Napoleon I and led the Swiss forces to victory against the Sonderbund. He presided over the first Geneva convention which established the International Red Cross. He was the most famous president of the Swiss Federal Office of Topography from 1838 to 1865.</Spanish>
	</TEXT>
</Civ4GameText>

When I load the Swiss mod and look for the Civilopedia entry for Switzerland I see this given as the description:

TXT_KEY_CIV_SWITZERLAND_PEDIA

When I read the Civilopedia entry for Guillaume Henri Dufour, I see this:

TXT_KEY_LEADER_DUFOUR_PEDIA

Clearly, something is not working.

Yep, the GameText files are almost too easy. You can call them anything you want, GameText_bla or bla_GameText - only bla_GameText_bla doesn't seem to work, which was used in the example mod - my bad :D

Oh, if you call them GameText_bla, they have to be in the XML\Text folder, if you call them bla_GameText, they belong into the Modules one.

So what you're saying is that there are two ways of doing this.

1) There can be only one CIV4GameText file in the Modules folder and it must be named ModName_CIV4GameText.xml. All text that would normally be in various CIV4GameText files within the Text directory must be combined into one CIV4GameText.xml.

2) Create conventionally named CIV4GameText files and place them in a XML\Text directory.

Is this what you mean?

Their can be multiple text files inside a module and its often appropriate and desirable to do so. They all need to END in _CIV4GameText.xml so for example

Apples_CIV4GameText.xml
Bananas_CIV4GameText.xml
Pears_CIV4GameText.xml

Could all be loaded from the same module, the part about naming the file after the module name is simply a recomended practice to help keep things organized, the game will load anything with the right ending on the file name.

I also recommend Purplexus as a good person to get help from on making moduels from and to use his examples and guides as hes got by far the most experience.

Okay! That worked fine.

Now I want to know how to create a mod that loads up other modular mods. I'll look for Purplexus.

Top Bottom