Chislev help

jackelgull

An aberration of nature
How do you play the chislev? I am not sure what to focus on. Even the scions who have divergent research paths have one that should be prioritized above the others (necromancers are plain awesome)
Do I want the war councils and their maintenance reduction capabilities first or perhaps I'd rather have their special mages? I can't seem to get a grasp on the Chislev. War councils plus their special civic should get rid of city upkeep almost entirely, but what do they have besides that?

they have great commanders that can actually fight, str 6 IIRC.
so try to get those free commanders early, when 6 str is meaningful.
otherwise, those 6str (0 modifiers) will become obsolet soon.

Ah, so would a strategy centered around adopting RoK and rushing Mines of Galdur coupled with bee lining construction and rushing the nearest civ with SoK's and catapults be a good fit for this civ. Or should I be even more ambitious and go for a warrior rush to pop out that. Great Commander as early as popular?

Ah, so would a strategy centered around adopting RoK and rushing Mines of Galdur coupled with bee lining construction and rushing the nearest civ with SoK's and catapults be a good fit for this civ. Or should I be even more ambitious and go for a warrior rush to pop out that. Great Commander as early as popular?

That works with every civ that can adopt Runes of Kilmorph. Runes of Kilmorph is basically its own civ with the defining civ trait of "better than you."

I wouldn't recommend focusing on Chislev Great Commanders because, as noting, they do not have a melee unitcombat and so can't get any significant bonuses. You could add a secondary unitcombat - that's technology they predate and which they would benefit from immensely - in the XML, which would make them more useful...

...but overall, yeah, they have nothing. They're Fantasy Native Americans with no real distinguishing traits or advantages. Against the AI, RoK will see you through. In PvP if you random them just forget it.

Is RoK really considered that powerful? Most people on the forum seem to gush on about the economic benefits of FoL or the maintenance reduction of Order, or the raw power of Diseased corpses and cultists in Ashen Veil, but no one seems to mention the Runes. I think it is a solid early game option, but by late game there are usually better choices available, unless you are the dwarves.

Is RoK really considered that powerful? Most people on the forum seem to gush on about the economic benefits of FoL or the maintenance reduction of Order, or the raw power of Diseased corpses and cultists in Ashen Veil, but no one seems to mention the Runes. I think it is a solid early game option, but by late game there are usually better choices available, unless you are the dwarves.

nah, we did have a discussion about imbalance of religions, and the consensus was something like this RoK>>AV>everything else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CoE

RoK's power is immense at every stage of the game. Economic boost is greater than FoL's and don't require forests to get them, they get quite good unique civic, get researched fast, have two heroes, an avatar, and rather powerful priest. And you don't have to plunge Erebus into apocalypse to get these.

Yeah. To do it point-by-point:

-Huge gold bonus allows for sprawling empires. Gold is much better than health (FoL) or culture (OO); it is an incredibly versatile resource linked directly to your temporal power in terms of upgraded and equipped units and number of cities. Health and culture cannot make this claim.

-Arete bundles three things: a hero, a very powerful early civic, and the Mines of Gauldur, which gives you free Iron (!!!) including some extra that you can trade.

-Bambur is better than Saverous because Bambur can enchant your army without needing to get an Adept even if you start with Enchantment mana. This is a civ-and-resource independent +20% on top of the civ-and-resource independent +2 from Iron.

-Arthendain is attached to a tech you need, Medicine, regardless of what your focus is. This follows RoK's general theme of civ-independent bonuses and advantages. He's also really good and fills a role you normally need to go all the way down the religious line to fill competently.

-The Tablets of Bambur allow you early access to Great Engineers. This is a lot better than Great Bards, on top of the massive gold thing.

-RoK is Good, not Neutral. Being Good is much better than being Neutral or Evil because it protects you from Hell (!!!) and because currently, several important early events favor being Good (free early elven Archer with Dexterous, "let her go" assassination event) and no events favor being Neutral (no early Great Prophet).

-Three or four dwarven mines around every city provide massive resource yields regardless of the terrain, and you can disband the commanders instantly on construction to drop the maintenance needed per mine to 0. This is better than FoL's terraforming autobalance, which makes all your cities decent but none of them incredible.

-Mithril Avatar has no comparison.

The original idea was that there would be early, midgame, and lategame religions but RoK is great at every phase and even has a world-wrecking capstone unit.The early game advantages you get are so overwhelming that you can rocket past everyone else in short order, and when midgame starts rolling around, you launch your iron-armored conquest - easily funded by your bottomless coffers - and then in lategame, yeah, Sphener's scary, but you've got ten more cities than that guy and three quarters of your entire civilization outproduces his capital.

jackgull: please consider this :
RoK being superior to any other religion is most particulary true for RifE..
It is less true for vanilla FFH or other modmods (where it might even be not-so-good)

Top Bottom