Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Possible to change the names of the magic schools? Alteration and Elementalism are fine, but Divination has just about 0 divination-ish effects and Necromancy applies to exactly one Sphere in its radius.

Ideas:

Illumination, White, Brilliant, Aspirant, Noble
Dark, Black, Tarnished, Eldritch, Abomination

World of Erebus mapscript is a lot of fun. Bit too much kelp spawning, but I imagine you're all over that.
I warned him about that :)

You can turn down the amount of kelp that the world starts with in the map script (just open it in notepad and search for kelp) but it still grows like crazy and eventually takes over most of the ocean.

Not sure if this is in your power to change, but is there a way to force civs' starting locations to be at least a certain distance from each other? I'm really not liking ErebusContinent's tendency to put civ starting locations right next to each other.

(Some advice on what settings I should use to ensure this doesn't happen would also be appreciated.)
They are actually set to be placed pretty far apart in the map script. The biggest problem here comes from too little available land for the number of civs. That's more of an issue with which civs are in the game rather than the total number of civs (I frequently play with 4-5 extra civs). The AI also likes to move their starting settler and they seem to be obsessed with moving close to neighbors, sometimes placing their city two tiles from their neighbor's city.

Currently, as long as Valk is using the last version I posted, the starting plot has quite a bit of extra code in place to spread the civs out in most cases such as alternating a preference for the east & west map edge with each civ placed.

I do have some changes that I need to get around to uploading, until then you can try starting with the advanced start game option, just reduce the number of points to a level you're happy with, that forces the AI to place their first city closer to the starting plot selected for them.

World of Erebus does this a lot too, but I believe it is because it tends to spawn huge deserts in the center of landmasses, where it won't spawn anyone besides the Malakim. This leaves the rest of the civs clumped together. I turn deserts down to "low."
The smart climate options can help, that's why I put them in :)

If you follow the link in my sig the first post in my map script thread has some explanation on how to use the smart climate and individual climate settings combines to achieve different results depending on what you want to see.

I can be mistaken, but isn't WorldOfErebus supposed to be Erebus with a structure more like the Earth-style map from the original Civ (so long ago I played vanilla that I can't even remember the name), where there is an "old world" and a "new world", and everyone starts on the old world?
WorldOfErebus is really nothing more than ErebusContinent with the plate tectonics (controls continent creation) and climate adjusted to be a global representation rather than a map of a single continent. In other words, it's making the whole world rather than just Europe. Personally, I dislike the whole world maps because the climate bands are too compressed but a lot of people asked for a FfH version of Perfect World 2 which is essentially what WorldOfErebus is.

Would it be possible to have an option of not including Haunted Lands in your game?
Are you afraid of Python? If not, open up ErebusContinent.py (or WorldOfErebus.py) and search for HAUNTED_LANDS, they (and all other special features such as ancient city ruins) are listed near the top of the file. That section checks to see if they exist before trying to place them and if they don't exist it places burnt forests instead. Changing it to always place burnt forests is less than a single line of code. Likewise, you can see how it checks for the existance of a civ to determine whether or not to place Crystal Plains (handled differently for RifE and Orbis) and do something similar for Haunted Lands.

Or, if all else fails, just disable advanced terrain but that will pull out all of the special terrain and feature types, not just the haunted lands.

@Seven05: Hey, long time no see! I have a few requests for WorldOfErebus.

Could you make it so there's an option (even if only in the .py) to make civs start much closer? I like tightly packed starts, makes for more early action!

Also, I'd like you to bring a feature from PW2: having resources be bound to some areas and unique to these areas. Meaning on one continent you may find cows, pigs & corn only; on another, wheat and sheep only; etc.

Valk, you might want to take a look at the units that can use 'Mount Pegasus.'

I've noticed that a Pegasus can use Mount Pegasus, but was saddened to learn that it didn't make Baby Pegasus. Lions can also get in on the action, as can fireballs and supplies.

Could you make it so there's an option (even if only in the .py) to make civs start much closer? I like tightly packed starts, makes for more early action!

Also, I'd like you to bring a feature from PW2: having resources be bound to some areas and unique to these areas. Meaning on one continent you may find cows, pigs & corn only; on another, wheat and sheep only; etc.

You have immaculate timing, since about half his post was dedicated to explaining why the civs tend to start too close as it is, and what is changed currently to avoid that. :p

I'm still lurking around, waiting on Civ5 which has ruined my intrest in working on Civ4. Being a modder at heart I'm really excited to dig into the mod tools right away even if it means giving up FfH for a while.

First, download the latest version I just update (see my sig for the link), then run a test map with the setting you normally use and see how it looks. Also, try running it once with minimal flavor starts and see how that looks (density, not actual placement). Let me know which placement method gives you the density you're looking for and I can probably work that in as an option or show you the one line of code you'll need to change to get those packed starts that you like ;)

That's already supported based on settings in the bonus info xml file. However, in ErebusContinent I ignore those xml settings because what inevitably happens is that you end up with something important (like iron) off the main continent. It's ok for human players but it messes up the AI.

You have immaculate timing, since about half his post was dedicated to explaining why the civs tend to start too close as it is, and what is changed currently to avoid that. :p
You can never please everybody, fortunately I'm married and I have a teenage daughter so I stopped trying to please everybody a long time ago... those two are related by blood and can't agree on anything :)

I've noticed that a Pegasus can use Mount Pegasus, but was saddened to learn that it didn't make Baby Pegasus. Lions can also get in on the action, as can fireballs and supplies.

I'm not sure if they can still do it, but naval units used to mount them as well. It left me wondering how that worked out...

Possible to change the names of the magic schools? Alteration and Elementalism are fine, but Divination has just about 0 divination-ish effects and Necromancy applies to exactly one Sphere in its radius.

Ideas:

Illumination, White, Brilliant, Aspirant, Noble
Dark, Black, Tarnished, Eldritch, Abomination

Names won't change. That's part of FfH that doesn't bother me, and I don't want to change it just to be different. :lol:

I warned him about that :)

You can turn down the amount of kelp that the world starts with in the map script (just open it in notepad and search for kelp) but it still grows like crazy and eventually takes over most of the ocean.

Nice to see you back. ;)

And yes, I know. And it's toned down for 1.31. At least, the growth rate. :p

They are actually set to be placed pretty far apart in the map script. The biggest problem here comes from too little available land for the number of civs. That's more of an issue with which civs are in the game rather than the total number of civs (I frequently play with 4-5 extra civs). The AI also likes to move their starting settler and they seem to be obsessed with moving close to neighbors, sometimes placing their city two tiles from their neighbor's city.

Currently, as long as Valk is using the last version I posted, the starting plot has quite a bit of extra code in place to spread the civs out in most cases such as alternating a preference for the east & west map edge with each civ placed.

I do have some changes that I need to get around to uploading, until then you can try starting with the advanced start game option, just reduce the number of points to a level you're happy with, that forces the AI to place their first city closer to the starting plot selected for them.

I should be using the latest version, yes.

Will check it.

May I ask why did you remove the mechano's religion in this version?

I recommend a new soundtrack for this game. I say remove most of the generic soundtracks and add in something completely new.

I wish that Archers be able to auto-bombard units that comes close to the city. I've once saw a mod that be able to do that, however I wish it was done every time an enemy get closed. This will be very useful to me when a huge-ass barbarian army comes marching down on my cities.

Mechano's need to have some special improvements on their own, since it's more of a massive industry, I'm expecting to see workshops being able to upgrade into automatic workshops and such things.

I really like the old blimp better then this thopter. It will be nice if you change the model to something more steampunk-ish on the thopter at least instead of borrowing it (or stealing it) from Dune Wars.

May I ask why did you remove the mechano's religion in this version?

I recommend a new soundtrack for this game. I say remove most of the generic soundtracks and add in something completely new.

I wish that Archers be able to auto-bombard units that comes close to the city. I've once saw a mod that be able to do that, however I wish it was done every time an enemy get closed. This will be very useful to me when a huge-ass barbarian army comes marching down on my cities.

Mechano's need to have some special improvements on their own, since it's more of a massive industry, I'm expecting to see workshops being able to upgrade into automatic workshops and such things.

I really like the old blimp better then this thopter. It will be nice if you change the model to something more steampunk-ish on the thopter at least instead of borrowing it (or stealing it) from Dune Wars.

1. We did not want a religion that was essentially specific to a single civilization. There will be a new religion added, but it will not be a return of Machinarum.
  2. ......Please realize exactly how massive such an undertaking is. We will be merging the music from Orbis, however.
  3. That would frankly annoy the hell out of me if it was default behavior, but as a new fortify action maybe.
  4. Probably not.
  5. I far prefer the Thopter. Blimps will be back in as transports. And none on the team are capable of any real art modifications. Also: It was merged, we had permission from the Dune Wars art team.

@Seven05: I will try the new version.

But in WorldOfErebus, the "area limited resources" stuff appears not to work, although I believe it may be because of normalization.

That's already supported based on settings in the bonus info xml file. However, in ErebusContinent I ignore those xml settings because what inevitably happens is that you end up with something important (like iron) off the main continent. It's ok for human players but it messes up the AI.

Couldn't you divide the main continent into smaller subregions and then assign bonus types to them?

What about some AI work? I was more advance while the AI is near tier 1 units (archer, axeman, horseman, etc)... I have to give some of my technology to my allies that vassal towards me. Ai need some work, only in deity mod, is when barbarians become more of a enemy then the AI countries cause they mount up to 5 units every raid, including the damn annoying pillaging Wild Trolls with there 2 movement when I'm still stuck on Warriors with 1 movement.

AI work is coming. Snarko is focusing on AI (he is away atm for a few weeks however) - and he already got some work almost done.

Some part of it includes getting the AI to tech well, without having it hardcoded. He's not done there but what he has already done sound quite good (he has gotten the AI to look further into the tech tree when deciding what techs to choose).

And a ton of that work involves changing around Flavors, and fixing the broken flavors we have now (which are too high mostly). You can help by posting in his thread here somewhere about how each leader should play.

Firstly, I'm not sure if I posted this to the correct thread. There are quite a few of them. :)
I have played a bit with the Amurites and I must say I enjoyed it. I haven't even noticed many bugs (even the Amurites' world spell didn't fire on it's own). One thing I have noticed is that my terrain seems to change on its own. (See the first screenshot.) But I highly suspect that it is something that I don't know. :mischief:
The tile in the red circle changed from desert/floodplains to marsh. The tile in blue circle changed from desert/floodplains to tundra. And the two tiles inside the yellow circle changed from plains to grassland, but they were originally desert until I used that spell which name I can't remember.
So could someone tell me, if this is even a feature, why do they change and what are the conditions when it changes?
Also it's pretty cool having Archeron wandering around and not locked into his city. :goodjob:

Attachments

• TerrainChanging.JPG
    TerrainChanging.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Civ4ScreenShot0097.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0097.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 88
Firstly, I'm not sure if I posted this to the correct thread. There are quite a few of them. :)
I have played a bit with the Amurites and I must say I enjoyed it. I haven't even noticed many bugs (even the Amurites' world spell didn't fire on it's own). One thing I have noticed is that my terrain seems to change on its own. (See the first screenshot.) But I highly suspect that it is something that I don't know. :mischief:
The tile in the red circle changed from desert/floodplains to marsh. The tile in blue circle changed from desert/floodplains to tundra. And the two tiles inside the yellow circle changed from plains to grassland, but they were originally desert until I used that spell which name I can't remember.
So could someone tell me, if this is even a feature, why do they change and what are the conditions when it changes?
Also it's pretty cool having Archeron wandering around and not locked into his city. :goodjob:

Climate creep is indeed a feature, and occurs as appropriate - in this case, a more temperate/wetter climate pushed the desert to marsh and the plains to grassland. The tundra is different; likely you are either playing with the Illians or someone triggered a Frostling random event. EDIT: A single Adept with Sun I and Water I can control climate completely; generating hills is a Runes thing and generating forest is a Fellowship trick. As the Amurites, picking up a Sun and a Water node is not at all a bad move for you.

There are also a couple random events that will terraform a few of your tiles towards desert or ice, but it's only temporary... most of the time?

IIRC there are similarities between FFh and D&D and LotR and WarHammer and with other kinds of orcs, dwarves and elves they but are not per se identical.

Luirchips are not D&D gnome, they are a mix between gnomes and dwarves.
Dwarves are not totally D&D. They are only D&D like as they love money, money, money and cold steel. They don't have any hate for alfars, they don't have any innate spell resistance...etc they have hornguards and boar riders...
Alfar separated in 2 courts is Alfar (or fey) not really D&D elves.
...etc
Orcs are not all green-skins and are not D&D as they are fallen Bannor...etc

Orcs are all very different from FfH, D&D, Warhammer and LoTR.

Elves vary quite a bit. In D&D they are (or were, I haven't played the last few versions) quite short and are incapable of sleep. In LoTR they do not die from natural causes, but they do wane. In Warhammer they are freaks who ride dragons and wear improbably large helmets.

But dwarves? They are all short, sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry. Pretty much the same in every genre.

The things you listed as problems are, indeed, problematic. Very much so. :lol:

If they are so problematic, why are you laughing? :) It makes me think you are up to something.

The only thing I can't do just with XML is allowing units to share a tile with enemy units that are visible. I'm pretty sure I know how to do it but I've not seen the CvGameCoreDLL for RiFE. I don't know what else it would impact.

That and I haven't figured out exactly how to allow units that normally can't enter peaks enter one with a tunnel. I think I can use python to turn a peak with a tunnel into another feature that is passable to tunnel users but I haven't tried it yet.

Top Bottom