Ashes of Erebus 'Pedia Entries

Blazenclaw

eccentric eclectic
Alright, so I'm NOT a programmer, but wanted to help Ronkhar and Ashes of Erebus somehow. For how amazing FFH/RifE/Ashes is, with each successive mod the pedia and documentation gets worse and worse, and I figured I could help with that a little.

I was talking with Mordax_Praet, and we decided that a google doc would probably be best to organize this, for people like him and me to help with, similar to the bug log that Ronkhar has.

So, I started a doc tonight (basically, alpha version visible HERE), that people can help out with. If you're interested, send me an email or PM or something and I'll give you editing privileges.

At the moment, this is super informal, so if you have any ideas or whatever, just let me know. The idea is to make a place to compile pedia work so that it's easier for Ronkhar to integrate, and so that people don't end up sending him different versions of the same thing (I'm looking at you, Ratha entry!).

So, fire away! :)

I need to clarify, the ratha entry I posted was the one already in the civilopedia and, while it's still better than an empty one, I didn't like it.

I need to clarify, the ratha entry I posted was the one already in the civilopedia and, while it's still better than an empty one, I didn't like it.

Yes I know :)crazyeye:), but was joking/using as an example topic, as that was the perfect example of one proposed solution that still needs more work. If you feel like you have a better entry, propose one! Shall I leave that one to you, are you interested? Give me your email, I'll enable you to edit, and you can help out too :cool:

[Edit: I also increased the width of column D so as to see the whole location tag, and added Ronkhar to the list of editors]

I have to agree. The Civilopedia entries in most mods, FFH included, are absolutely awful.

Hi,
I think there are a few grammatical errors in the spreadsheet's first texts.
As english is not my mother tongue, I wrote my opininons as comments, leaving a literate native decide what's right. ;)
Then, I'll add them to the pedia.

Hi,
I think there are a few grammatical errors in the spreadsheet's first texts.
As english is not my mother tongue, I wrote my opininons as comments, leaving a literate native decide what's right. ;)
Then, I'll add them to the pedia.

You are correct, there are a few strange phrasings and some typos. The ones I put in initially were copy-pastes from one of the lore docs; I should be more careful in double checking to make sure those are correct :p

I fixed what typos and grammatical errors I found, and reworded some of the entries. I have a few hours in between classes now, so I'll add a few more now as well.

mordax.praetorian@googlemail.com

I'll be focusing on Mechanics based entries for Civilisations first, starting with the Grigori and then the Elohim

I'm thinking these go best in the Strategy Sections, since players need to understand the Civ's mechanics in order to understand the strategy behind them

There's now two sheets up, the first being a list of things that need working on. Some things are fairly small and painless, such as writing descriptions for spells, and others are more work but more fun (I'd say), such as writing leader descriptions.

If anybody wants to grab something as a little project, just post away :)

I made a suggestion in the main thread regarding the strategy sections for Civs and tieing them to the "Dawn of Man" text that shows when a game starts

Having this in place would give us a much much better basis to start on than blanks so I'm going to wait for a decision from Ronkhar on that before I go submitting anything for those sections

I started a game as the Balseraphs and noticed the start-of-game text contained some pretty comprehensive strategy that wasn't in the Civilopedia and went looking for it in the code

I'd like to suggest tieing the Strategy entries for each Civ in the pedia to TXT_KEY_DAWN_OF_MAN_<<CIV_NAME_HERE>>, most of which look like a much better basis for starting than the blanks we have right now

It also occurs to me that both the game start text and strategy sections want the same thing, so editing them as one would be a good plan

Hmm. Can a pedia link connect to TXT_KEY_DAWN_OF_MAN_<<CIV_NAME_HERE>> ? If so, then the main pedia entry could technically just have a [LINK=TXT_KEY_DAWN_OF_MAN_<<CIV_NAME_HERE>>]Strategy Section[\LINK], then maybe a bullet list of primary differences from other civs. That way, we'd only have to write the strategy section once, and not have it duplicated in the 'pedia.

Feel free to start writing sections into the google doc; even if you don't know where it might go, you can still start it without a location tag.

Unfortunately, I also have had some computer problems recently. I acquired a particularly nasty trojan about a week ago (pro tip: McAfee is utterly useles :)mad:); only MalwareBytes managed to remove the majority of the trojan setup), which apparently has somehow messed with the Win7 activation following a complete reformat. Neither Windows nor Dell NOR my local college IT were able to help me, so I'm getting a fresh install from Dell, because I still have a complete warranty.

Long story short, I am not really able to write for another couple days until that arrives (I'm typing from a library computer at the moment).

Mordax, have you fixed your Win 8.1 issue? One of my floormates encountered a similar problem; apparently it's quite common, unfortunately.

If I've understood the game's XML correctly, changing the Text Key for the Strategy Section should result in the same text being mirrored in both locations

This means we can have the same strategy displayed on game start as in the pedia. I don't see why we'd want to make these different.

I'll post up my current draft for the Grigori tomorrow after work once I've had another read through it

Making good progress on Elohim research also

Unless theres a specific faction that people want me to do after that I'm considering Archos, Balseraphs or Illians

My issues are all sorted, heres how:

Revert to Win8.0 - using a Win8 CD if possible, as this can do so without removing all of your programs

My issues stemmed from drivers that were missing their control software because the reversion tool in the Win8.1 Installer removed them all, IOBit Driver Booster was able to fix almost all of the broken drivers, however my Wireless driver wouldn't install correctly by any method

Using CCleaner (rather than the manufacturer's own cleaning tool) was the only way I managed to clear 100% of the old driver out, however while this allowed the driver to install "correctly", once installed the driver still wouldn't function. Using the device manager I got Win8 to uninstall the card while leaving the drivers intact and from there scanning for hardware changes got it to pick the card up again and marry it up with the Driver properly

I think the best answer is to show the same text in the civilization strategy field and in the "dawn of man" field at the beginning of a game. --> if both strings contain useful text, let's merge them.

Anyway, don't hesitate to fill the pedia spreadsheet.
And if you don't know the TXT_KEY that should be used, you can leave the "location tag" column blank or even better, add ??????????. (that should draw my attention :p)

edit: I've localized the code responsible for it in CvDawnOfMan.py
I'll probably merge the txt keys into TXT_KEY_CIV_[MyCivName]_STRATEGY and let you know if it changes anything for you
Bye

Added that Grigori mechanics/strategy entry

What do you all think of the format? Could I improve it at all?

If we're happy with it I'll go back and add links to relevant other entries to the text

Added that Grigori mechanics/strategy entry

What do you all think of the format? Could I improve it at all?

If we're happy with it I'll go back and add links to relevant other entries to the text

The concepts seem clearly explained.
I've very little experience with the grigori, so I'm not the best to judge if the ideas are relevant. :D
There are a few sentences that look curious, but I don't know if it's because my english is not fluent enough or if there are grammatical mistakes, for example:
Mordax_Praet said:
As it becomes harder to create Great People, so to does it become harder to create Adventurers.

The format is rather good. I just added [NEWLINE] before

. That should prevent the text from looking like
without newline said:
text of section 1
title of section 2

text of section
Instead it will look like that
with newline said:
text of section 1

title of section 2

text of section

Hi Blazenclaw,

Just to check I'm understanding this right, you're talking about making or correcting text in the pedia entries, yes?

If so I can help: I'm good with writing and familiar with the game. It is a shame a few entries are empty because no one bothered to write flavour text :scan:

Hi Blazenclaw,

Just to check I'm understanding this right, you're talking about making or correcting text in the pedia entries, yes?

Yeah, that's exactly my goal :D

If so I can help: I'm good with writing and familiar with the game. It is a shame a few entries are empty because no one bothered to write flavour text :scan:

Just look at the google doc, and the sheet "To-Do". Either pick something there (lots of empty leader entries!), or find something missing in the pedia and not in the proposed changes, and type away :)

I currently have it set to comment-only unless it's shared, so if you're interested PM me your email and I'll add you to the editors.

You ask in the doc if minister Koun is from an event. Yes he is from an event. You can get an event where he spawns, taking control of one of your cities and creating a permanent alliance.

You ask in the doc if minister Koun is from an event. Yes he is from an event. You can get an event where he spawns, taking control of one of your cities and creating a permanent alliance.

Ah, thank you. I think I'd read that somewhere, but never actually experienced the event occur. Do you know what prereqs there are, if any, for the event, or if it's just really uncommon?

This kind of information isn't found in the pedia, which is kindof the goal of this project. If you know well, feel free to write something up :p

I think I found the event responsible for Minister Koun:
Code:
EVENTTRIGGER_CITY_SPLIT
<iPercentGamesActive>10</iPercentGamesActive> --> only 1 game in 10 can trigger this event
<iMinPopulation>5</iMinPopulation> --> trivial :p
<iWeight>400</iWeight> --> In these games, the event has a standard weight
<PythonCanDoCity>canTriggerCitySplit</PythonCanDoCity> --> requires that the city is not a capital, that no Koun is already ingame, that the game is not a scenario

There is another condition that I don't understand yet
Code:
	if getOpenPlayer() == -1:
		return False

Code:
def getOpenPlayer():
	gc = CyGlobalContext() #Cause local variables are faster
	i = -1
	for iPlayer in xrange(gc.getMAX_PLAYERS()):
		pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
		if (pPlayer.isEverAlive() == False and i == -1):
			i = iPlayer