[DISCUSSION] Unique buildings

Isabelxxx

Prince
How can unique buildings be implemented?

So far I consider unique buildings as any combination of these variations:

1) Only X (England) nation can build Y (English Church) improvement in their cities.

2) Y (Big Church) improvement can only be built in one (or any fixed number) of our cities (per nation).

3) Y (Biggest Church) building can only be made once in all the game. For all nations.

Note that with civinfo.xml file we can make those of 1). That's what I'm implementing at this moment.

Just consider the congress "BUILDING_CONGRES", that generic unit can be replaced to have an unique varition for every nation in the game just by making some easy changes in civinfos.

I will explain what are the changes I have considered at this point updating this post in the future.

2) & 3) require DLL changes as far as I know.

I have not seen any limit in XML to create one building in a fixed number of cities, to be unique worlwide or to be only available in some specific cities.

How can I give a special building to the 1st city founded without giving that building to every founded city (civinfo)?

The concept of Capital is even more abstract here... the congress makes that city your capital but before that event you can not link any building to "the more important".

Also, there is other limitation. We can only have variations amongst nations but not within the same buildingclass. I can not make in any way some cities to build Carpentry type A and others to build Carpentry type B... (this is also applied to the 1st city founded problem, since that special building commonly shares the same buildingclass with the generic building)

Finally what I think is nedeed:

1)New XML tag in buildinginfos: buildings allowed per nation. -1 for generic buildings, any fixed number for some special buildings.

2)New XML tag in buildinginfos: unique building. 1 for "wonders", only 1 can be made in all the game for all nations; 0 for any other case.

3)New XML tag in civilizationsinfos: 1st colony free building type. We want to put here a building Type not a BuildingClass. So I can specify have in the 1st colony the BUILDING_WAREHOUSE_SPECIAL and not the generic building associated to the BUILDINGCLASS_WAREHOUSE class.

4)New XML tag in civilizationsinfos: 1st colony free building class. Same as 3) but with BuildingClass. This is to consider any combination of the 2 possibilities: specific building or building_class.

5)New XML tag in buildinginfos: required capital 1 only can be built in the capital, 0 in any city.

Only X nation can build Y improvement in their cities.
When you said X nations, I guess you thought that for instance only the English and Spanish nations can build a unique building and this is not the two first nations that build it, is it not?

Finally what I think is nedeed:

1)New XML tag in buildinginfos: buildings allowed per nation. -1 for generic buildings, any fixed number for some special buildings.

2)New XML tag in buildinginfos: unique building. 1 for "wonders", only 1 can be made in all the game for all nations; -1 for any other case.

3)New XML tag in buildinginfo
I think you are right ^^. An other task for me to add in Asana :p

With the addition of these 5 tags the possibilities regarding the revamping of builings are infinite.

We can create chains of buildings for 1st cities, capital, cities with the special buildings, "wonders", ...

Just imagine that not every dock would be capable to create the same units... we could create some variations of the generic docks for some cities according to these and other of the existing requirements so every city would be able to create totally different ships for ex.

When you said X nations, I guess you thought that for instance only the English and Spanish nations can build a unique building and this is not the two first nations that build it, is it not?

I think you are right ^^. An other task for me to add in Asana :p

1)I mean only Spanish can build Spanish Church. That Spanish Church is a replacement of the generic Church.

2) I mean that "Big Church" can only be built in only 2 cities in all my colony.

But that applies to me and the others, so English can only buid 2 Big Churchs and Spanish 2 big Churchs, etc. In other words only 2 buildings per nation.
(be aware that this can be combined with the previous one, so English only could build 2 English Big Church, etc.)

3) I mean that all the nations can build the wonder. But once it has been built, it's unique. One building for all nations. First to build it.

Take a look at the previous posts M07, i have edited them with new XML tags and some explanations.

Edit: It doesn't matter.

Edit 2:

What about some changes for natives? Do they have any building at all?

I remembered that natives have some building, you can see witch buildings they can build in the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file.
I think we have already a lot of big projects (more important), but I am not closed to discuss about it. Some ideas?

I think we have already a lot of big projects (more important), but I am not closed to discuss about it. Some ideas?

No problem. This could be implemented later... I just want to collect a few ideas for the future.

Natives buildings should come along other changes. If you play with natives a game (easily if you enable it in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml) you will see they have no money (but they give money to the player when you meet their leader ?!), resources appear & disappear magically, etc.

I would say that some of these things could be changed in the future. Not sure how many changes would be required to made the natives "really playable". Anyway, part of these things could be fixed even if natives are not playable nations. That would open new perspectives in the game so they would be more complex.

Then, new buildings, native trading, natives raids, ...

It would be quite close to original Colonization actually, where sometimes there were "indians raid" althought you were in peace (but with bad relations) with them.

But all this would require a new thread...

I will be proposing here the Unique Buildings I created for Europeans & Natives. The required tags can be implemented later.

Top Bottom