Patch 1.20 To Be Released Soon [Released 8/1]

Padma

the Absent Admin
Administrator
Supporter
I'm putting this out as a general info. If you have any problems with what is (or isn't) planned for the patch, please respond to the original thread at the 2K forums.

2K Elizabeth said:
Hey guys,

As promised, I have an update for you about the next patch, and the MP reports you gave me. We have found the issue and currently all hands are on deck diligently finishing up a patch for you. I don’t have an exact date for release yet (I’ll give you another update when I know!) but I wanted you all to know that your posts really helped us out, and that the patch will be out to you soon.

Also, although the patch is not completely finalized (I will never say the list is 100% complete until it’s out on consoles!) these are the fixes we have been working on and will be coming in 1.20.

CHANGE LIST:

DLC Functionality
The game now recognizes downloaded DLC packs and provides instructions on how to access the new DLC content when the game begins.

Wonder and Artifact Pack Functionality
New Wonder and Artifact Packs appear in the single player game and have full Civilopedia entries accessible inside the game and on the main game menu when installed. These new Wonders and Artifacts do not appear in multiplayer games.

Scenario/Single Player Map Functionality
When a Single Player Map Pack or a Scenario Pack is downloaded, the new scenarios/maps appear under the "Play Scenario" option. Multiplayer map packs are also visible in the Single Player "Play Scenario" field.

Multiplayer Map Functionality
After the user has downloaded a Multiplayer Map Pack and the user creates a multiplayer game via Player Match or LAN Game, an additional Game Type is available - Scenario. This Game Type allow players to select from among any of the multiplayer maps they current have available to play their game on.

The multiplayer lobbies have also been updated to display what map a game is playing. If a player in the lobby does not have the map that is being played, they will not be able to join that game and an icon and message will appear that states they are unable to join the game.

Gamespy Version Increase
The Gamespy version key has been increased to 1.01 to prevent players without the patch from seeing players with the patch.

Joining Settlers to Cities
Previously, when players moved a settler unit into a city, they could had the option of that unit "Joining" the city, automatically giving it a full population point. Now, to prevent exploits, when players join a settler to a city, that city will only receive a set amount of food, meaning that in the later game, they will not provide a full population point to a city, only help it grow.

Instant Upgrades thanks to Retreating in MP Games

Previously, whenever a player retreated from combat, their opponent's unit automatically received an upgrade. To prevent exploits, this feature has been removed from multiplayer. Now when a player retreats from combat in a multiplayer game, it counts as a victory for the defender, but the defender will not automatically receive an upgrade just because their opponent has retreated. If the retreating unit, for example, is stronger than the defender, or the retreat is the defender's third victory, the defender can still receive an upgrade, but they do not always receive an automatic upgrade. Retreating still provides an automatic upgrade to the defending player in single player.

Disbanding Militia Units
Previously, whenever a player disbanded a militia unit, they received gold for them. To prevent exploits, disbanded militia units now provide zero gold. Now when a player retreats from combat in a multiplayer game, his opponent's unit receives nothing.

Montezuma Seam Fix
A misplaced seam down the middle of the Montezuma model has been corrected. This has been corrected.

Multiplayer Matching Fixes
The game was mistakenly searching for a scenario type when looking for multiplayer games previously. This has been corrected.

Scenario Screen Improvement
The Single Player "Play Scenario" screen now has the ability to display colored text.

Thanks,

-elizabeth

I have 11 Xbox 360 games, and Revolution is the only one that requires patches.

Sigh. Not having to deal with that was part of the beauty of consoles.

You are joking right? what 11 games do you have? Most of my games for the 360 eventually get a patch of some kind.

You are joking right? what 11 games do you have? Most of my games for the 360 eventually get a patch of some kind.

Ditto. I think almost every game I have on 360 has been patched/updated at least once.

My bad. My 360 isn't connected to the internet and I don't pay enough attention to the other games.

You have a console and e pc and you bought civ for the console?!?!??!?! OMG.....

You have a console and e pc and you bought civ for the console?!?!??!?! OMG.....

I've almost got every version of Civ (i.e. II-IV + expansions) and I bought Civ:Rev. Something about a 51" HD with wireless controllers in my comfy easy chair is just niiiiiiiice. ;)

My bad. My 360 isn't connected to the internet and I don't pay enough attention to the other games.

Unfortunately, this generation of console games is following the same "ship and patch later" mentality that a lot of PC games have been following for years. I guess adding the ability to easily patch, encourages the practice.

Unfortunately, this generation of console games is following the same "ship and patch later" mentality that a lot of PC games have been following for years. I guess adding the ability to easily patch, encourages the practice.

I totally agree, and am willing to take that one step further. I think sometimes games have all of the content made (additional map packs, DLC, what-have-you), but they just don't put in the $60.00 game so they can make another $10.00 to $20.00 bucks down the line. Of course, I'll still pay it if I love the game, but the ability to patch/update online gives companies an easy way to fleece consumers for some extra dough.

I've played console and PC games for many years. I have always appreciated the ability to patch with PC games, because the reality is that console games have always had flaws, but we were stuck with them because there was no option to update. The fact is that no game will be perfect when it ships, and only recently have consoles been given the bonus of improving gameplay.

I've played console and PC games for many years. I have always appreciated the ability to patch with PC games, because the reality is that console games have always had flaws, but we were stuck with them because there was no option to update. The fact is that no game will be perfect when it ships, and only recently have consoles been given the bonus of improving gameplay.

Sure, patches can sometimes be great, but it's hard to argue that the ability to patch doesn't factor in the decision on when to ship a product. Back when console games were impossible to patch without physically shipping replacement media to the customer, Quality Control on game software was (quite literally) the last chance to catch critical flaws. The advent of internet connected consoles have definitely lead to abbreviated QC. Publishers have very little incentive to make sure products hit the streets in finalized states.

Case in point with CivRev. Why did there need to be a patch to insert the code "hooks" for the DLC? They knew they had DLC in the pipeline, correct? Take 2 and Firaxis even knew the scope and content of the DLC since we knew about it before the game came out. Why wouldn't the "hooks" have been present in the game before going Gold?

I'll tell you why. The need to ship for revenue outweighed the need to QC the game to it's master state. It shipped "good enough" for the market.

I appreciate the ability to add new features, have ongoing content, (like the Game of the Week) and offer substantive DLC, but the unfortunate side-effect of connected consoles is the publishers lost the incentive to QC products like they used to.

Without patches, it wouldn't be a Civilization game. Sid Meier and Firaxis crew like to tweak the game a lot (just look at Civ IV) and I hope they do this with Revolution.

Tweak and add = the evolution of Revolution

Sure, patches can sometimes be great, but it's hard to argue that the ability to patch doesn't factor in the decision on when to ship a product. Back when console games were impossible to patch without physically shipping replacement media to the customer, Quality Control on game software was (quite literally) the last chance to catch critical flaws. The advent of internet connected consoles have definitely lead to abbreviated QC. Publishers have very little incentive to make sure products hit the streets in finalized states.

Case in point with CivRev. Why did there need to be a patch to insert the code "hooks" for the DLC? They knew they had DLC in the pipeline, correct? Take 2 and Firaxis even knew the scope and content of the DLC since we knew about it before the game came out. Why wouldn't the "hooks" have been present in the game before going Gold?

I'll tell you why. The need to ship for revenue outweighed the need to QC the game to it's master state. It shipped "good enough" for the market.

I appreciate the ability to add new features, have ongoing content, (like the Game of the Week) and offer substantive DLC, but the unfortunate side-effect of connected consoles is the publishers lost the incentive to QC products like they used to.

While what you say could certainly be true (I have no idea if they look at DLC as giving them an excuse to ship an unfinished product), I tend to look at it as a sign of the times. It is what it is, so our choices are to accept it and look at the bright side or accept it and be unhappy about it. Us consumers simply lack the power to change that aspect of modern gaming.

I can see both sides, but I've always played both consoles and PC games. So I've been used to playing games that could never be improved on consoles and playing games that could be updated on the PC.

I'm just glad no longer have to blow into the game cartridge to get my games to work!

:woohoo:

They still haven't fixed this problem:
Civilization specifac AI

it just doesn't make any sense that India would want kill people

ALL the Civs act the same, its pathetic

Some civs seem to always act the same. Greece is usually peaceful (until you're about to win and everyone tries to stop you) and doing lots of trading instead of threats and war. Strangely, India seems to be one of the most aggressive civs. Ghandi the war-monger..

Some civs seem to always act the same. Greece is usually peaceful (until you're about to win and everyone tries to stop you) and doing lots of trading instead of threats and war. Strangely, India seems to be one of the most aggressive civs. Ghandi the war-monger..

Yeah, I've noticed this too - when playing with Greece they're usually a strong tech competitor who doesn't get too aggressive at all. Same with Japan. And I've had the same experience with India as you :p

Greece starts out with Democracy. So it makes sense that it starts out peaceful. Unless Alexander wants to change government types (and forgo the 50% trade bonus) he can't declare war.

Looking forward to the patch. I jumped on board with 1.10 and I have not been able to play a multi player game yet. Not like I have tried it much though, I dont have that much time on my hands these days and I think single player is still fun. I am looking forward to the extra goodies (wonders etc).

I hope some day a map generator with terrain and climate parameters will be included as well. I'd like to see more variation in maps, as now it is always one large island with several smaller ones (which makes sense with the discoverable artifacts).

Top Bottom