[BtS] Wolfshanze's Revolution

Actually, on closer inspection - ranged bombard doesn't work at all. Can't target units, city defenses or improvements with my cannons :(

Hmmm...

So, I got home and checked a few things. First off, and I don't think it's related, but the game I was playing last night is no longer accessible. It fails to load due to the modified assets being locked. Which is strange, because I never changed any of the assets... Not sure what's up with that at all, but it means I can't get into the game that had the problem with ranged bombard and cultural defense.

I had another game going, which was pretty early in the game. Went into WB and created one of each land bombardment unit next to an enemy city. They simply reduced the cultural defense as if DCM Ranged Bombard wasn't on, which I did check and it is on. Once the cultural defense was eliminated, the bombard units could not bombard the units in the city.

So, not really sure where to begin to look on this - but I think DCM is in the core .dll file, and I'm not a programmer - XML and a bit of Python is all I can manage...

I'll try to give you more info Phungus if I get any more...

It's certainly not in the UnitInfos XML. I checked and it is identical to normal, working UnitInfos in Wolfshanze.

This is weird. That's all gamecore stuff, it should not be effected by the Python changes from merging the mods, at all, and certainly not the XML ones. I wonder if this is a problem intrinsic to RevDCM itself? I haven't seen anyone describe this problem in the RevDCM thread...

I have no idea how to fix this, if it is intrinsic to RevDCM, glider may have some ideas. I was under the impression the DCM components were fixed in the last two RevDCM builds. My problem is I play with Archer Bombard, and Artillery Bombard off, so I didn't even notice this bug.

Unfortunately for now all I can say is that the Artillery Bombard component of this Mod is buggy and should not be toggled on. Also in BTS there is a way to have artillery bombard, simply give your artillery units an iairrange and iaircombat of something greater then 0 they can bombard (found in unitinfos.xml tag is <iairrange> --range of bombard-- and <iaircombat> --strength of bombard, typically this should be set to the strength of the unit--). That's a workaround that shouldn't mess up the regular bombard ability of artillery.

Also in BTS there is a way to have artillery bombard, simply give your artillery units an airrange of 1 from 0 and they can bombard (found in unitinfos.xml tag is <iairrange>). That's a workaround that shouldn't mess up the regular bombard ability of artillery.

Does this work for mobile artillery as well?

It will work for any unit that is domain land or sea. It obviously wol't work for domain air units, as that'll give them their range. This was a change made in BTS.

I turned Ranged Bombard and Oppertunity Fire off, then when into the XML files and changed the <iairrange> from 0 to 1 on all siege units and several of the heavier ships(Ironclads, Battleships, etc). After I went in-game, I opened up Worldbuilder to test them. There is still no ranged bombard option at all, but at leats the standard city-defense reducing bombard is back.

Well, BTS added a ranged bombard functionality to the XML. Right now the Ranged bombard component of DCM is aparently buggy, so you'll need to turn it off if you want the standard city defense bonus bombard of artillery units to work. If you really like Ranged bombardment for artillery though, there is a work around, thanks to the new functionality of the <iairrange> tag in the unitinfos.xml file.

Example. Open the CIV4unitinfos.xml file (found ....mods/WolfRevolution/Assets/XML/Units) using notepad, or some sort of codewriting utility. After opening the file in notepad use the Edit options, and select find. Type in Unit_Catapult you'll get taken down the file to this line
Code:
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_CATAPULT</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_CATAPULT</Type>
			<UniqueNames/>
			<Special>NONE</Special>
This is the start of the block that the Civ Engine calls the unit stats for the Unit Catapult. Now use find again this time type in airrange. Since you're in the Catapult block it'll drop you to this line in the catapult block (if you hit it again it'll skip to the next incidence of airrange which the next unit after the cat is treb I think) where this tag is
Code:
<iAirRange>0</iAirRange>
Change the 0 to a 1 (or 2 or whatever you want the bombard range to be) and the unit will now have the ability to bombard up to the range you set.

After setting the bombard range, you need to set the Bombard Strength, by putting a value in this tag:
Code:
<iAirCombat>0</iAirCombat>
. Typically you will want to set this as the same basic strength of your unit, though you can set it at whatever you like.

Finally you need to set a value for the limit to bombard damage. This is expressed as a percent with 100 being able to kill a unit through bombarding, and 1 meaning you cannot harm a unit that is more then 1% injured. This is the tag:
Code:
<iAirCombatLimit>0</iAirCombatLimit>

You can do this with any and all land and sea domain units. Though you'll probably just want to stick with artillery type units.

Well, BTS added a ranged bombard functionality to the XML. Right now the Ranged bombard component of DCM is aparently buggy, so you'll need to turn it off if you want the standard city defense bonus bombard of artillery units to work. If you really like Ranged bombardment for artillery though, there is a work around, thanks to the new functionality of the <iairrange> tag in the unitinfos.xml file.

Example. Open the CIV4unitinfos.xml file (found ....mods/WolfRevolution/Assets/XML/Units) using notepad, or some sort of codewriting utility. After opening the file in notepad use the Edit options, and select find. Type in Unit_Catapult you'll get taken down the file to this line
Code:
        <UnitInfo>
            <Class>UNITCLASS_CATAPULT</Class>
            <Type>UNIT_CATAPULT</Type>
            <UniqueNames/>
            <Special>NONE</Special>
This is the start of the block that the Civ Engine calls the unit stats for the Unit Catapult. Now use find again this time type in airrange. Since you're in the Catapult block it'll drop you to this line in the catapult block (if you hit it again it'll skip to the next incidence of airrange which the next unit after the cat is treb I think) where this tag is
Code:
<iAirRange>0</iAirRange>
Change the 0 to a 1 (or 2 or whatever you want the bombard range to be) and the unit will now have the ability to bombard up to the range you set. You can do this with any and all land and sea domain units. Though you'll probably just want to stick with artillery type units.

Yeah, I did that. I set all siege units to 1. In-game, regardless if Ranged Bombard from DCM is on or off(I tried it both ways) a yellow box appears around my units clearly showing they have a range of 1. However, you can't do anything with this range. There is no sort of ranged attack option at all.

At the very least I got the normal, city defense bombard working again.

Sorry, missed one thing. You also need to give your bombarding unit an aircombat value. Typically you'll make this the unit's default strength, but you have the ability to make it's bombard strength different if you like.

Since I forgot that, and your ground units still have an aircombat strength of 0, their bombard strength is zero. Aperently the game wol't waste time bombarding for zero damage.

Alright, it is working now. I actually like this better than Ranged Combat, because I can customize what units I want to have the ability and how powerful it is. For example, Catapults can get the ability, but I can exclude Battering Rams from it. Thanks a lot phungus!

Question, does this work without setting the aircombatlimit tag? I just thought of this on my way home. The iAirCombatLimit tag sets a maximum amount of damage air units can do when attacking ground units, I thought you might need to set this as well, if it works with a zero in there, then 0 probably is the equivalent to using 100.

No, it doesn't. You have to set iAirCombatLimit as well.

Also, I'm not sure if your interested, but I also switched the civics up a little. I moved Theocracy over to Government, then added one extra to each group(two for Religion to make up for the missing Theocracy). If you want I can upload the files for it, which is currently a hodgepodge of modular and non-modular files(though I can convert them all to non-modular) and assemble it into another Add-On. It only changes the CivicInfos and adds some .dds files, so it shouldn't interfere with anything else. Of course you're welcome to change any values if you do this.

EDIT: I changed the -10% Commerce to only -10% Gold on Asceticism, and +10% Gold to +25% Gold on Contracting(They seemed weak before)

Thanks for offering, but I'm going to keep this as close to a pure wolfshanze RevDCM merge as I can. I have my own mod with changes and the like to WolfRev. I'm sticking with the 2 popular base mods rather then trying to add my own (or other people's) tweaks into the mix offered in this thread.

So when will you be whipping out an update now that Wolfshanze has bumped up to v2.85 (and not sure if you're upto the latest Revolution v1.64)?

I would think that has to be an annoying aspect of trying to keep your own mod up to date with these other two mods still evolving with surely a lot of overlapping changed files.

Here's hoping you're still up to the task as this is an excellent merge of these two mods and now playing one without the other just seems wrong!

Working on it right now. Made a few minor adjustments to wolf 2.85 as well, they are minor, but I think they improve things alot (all revolve around the gun->musket_>mil_science changes). Should be up later in the day.

As for updating revolutions, that will be done when the new RevDCM build comes out. That should be a really good one, will balance inquistions and iron out some issues, and adds some very good improvements to the AI. Also of note, Jdog has stated improving the scoreboard is one of his priorities, which is nice since on large maps that scoreboard can get kinda messy.

Working on it right now. Made a few minor adjustments to wolf 2.85 as well, they are minor, but I think they improve things alot (all revolve around the gun->musket_>mil_science changes). Should be up later in the day.

As for updating revolutions, that will be done when the new RevDCM build comes out. That should be a really good one, will balance inquistions and iron out some issues, and adds some very good improvements to the AI. Also of note, Jdog has stated improving the scoreboard is one of his priorities, which is nice since on large maps that scoreboard can get kinda messy.

Hey, as the merger making the little tweaks is definitely your right as long as you at least clearly detail how you've diverged from the mods your combining.

Updated to Wolfshanze 2.85 Oct 28, 2008
Wolfshanze 2.85 is not 2.84 save compatible. This means WolfRevolution 1.1.0 is not 1.0.5 save game compatible. Finish your game before updating if you're currently in the middle of a 1.0.5 game.

Notes on the 1.1.0 build:
Adjusted Wolfshanze techs and units slightly:
Spoiler :
Moved Engineering req from Gunpowder to Muskets--Added Engineering req to units this affected
To make gunpowder useful in it's own right, added Fireworks National Wonder (+1 Happy in all cities)
Added Education req to Chemistry
Added Literature req to Education
Removed redundant muskets tech from Cuirassiers (all variants)
Changed Hwacha to bombard replacement (Civilopedia says it's a gunpowder unit)

If you would like to play WolfRevolution without these changes, simply install the Purifier add on. However this is not compatible with the Super Spies or Inquisition based optional Add Ons.

Turned off all DCM affects by default. To toggle these on adjust them in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file

Fixed Nuke Issue. Manhatten Project is back in the game, and nukes should work now.

Fixed a minor issue with the RevPythonAdjust AddOn, it now applies the building modifiers properly.

After updating to WolfRevolution 1.1.0, you must use one of the new optional add ons if you like the optional add on functions. The 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 versions will overwrite the Wolfshanze 2.85 changes.

Known Bugs:
WolfRevolution is actually entirely stable. However there are a few mostly aesthetic bugs.
You cannot bombard from friendly territory, you must enter nuetral or hostile territory to bombard city defenses.
The BUG mod ignores minor civs, a newly formed civ must gain the right to diplomacy before being posted on the scoreboard or showing on the BUG mod specific displays.
On large maps the scoreboard can get a little messy looking.
Multiplayer is pretty buggy and is not considered supported (Though it will work), for instance other human players can see your revolution displays and pop ups.
While the Super Spies add on works, the text is screwed up, and does not properly display the effects of spy promotions (though the promotions do work correctly).
Artillery Bombard DCM option is bugged, and should not be toggled on. If you like Artillery bombard, see above for a tutorial on how to add this into the mod.

Color me clueless but why is it when I modify the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml (only changing some of the DCM values from 1 to 0 or visa versa, the file is then considered "corrupted" and dies at the very first line of the file?

That shouldn't happen. What DCM option are you trying to turn on?

Top Bottom