[MOD] Medieval: Conquests

Defaults, large map size. Usually just do quick starts.

Edit:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10812
It seems like what happens is that one civ is planted in the north, the player in the middle, and then who ever is left get planted in the south. So if only 2 other land start civs are used, there's no issue, but if there's 4, then 3 will start on top of each other in the south. I also noticed that all of the AI civs seem to get a boat that starts somewhere in the "Europe" tiles. I'm thinking the scrip needs to be tweaked for land based starts, but it's beyond my understanding.

Just ran a few tests. None of this is right. Civs in the north only seem to happen when they DON'T spawn on top of each other. Even 2 other land civs can spawn on top of each other.

Also, it looks like the AI is buying their boats from "Europe" on the first turn. They don't show up until a couple turns in.

Defaults, large map size. Usually just do quick starts.
Just ran a few tests. None of this is right. Civs in the north only seem to happen when they DON'T spawn on top of each other. Even 2 other land civs can spawn on top of each other.

Also, it looks like the AI is buying their boats from "Europe" on the first turn. They don't show up until a couple turns in.

The AI still uses ships to trade with europe whether they are land start or not so that is normal.

Right now I am having PC problems, this thing just don't want to run right. Also, in the version I am working on now where I merged in the JAnimal mod I am having a lot of errors. I am not sure how stable the JAnimals mod is. I may need to scratch that merge and build a "Barbarian" Civ myself. So, if I can get my PC to work right I will put together a new version with most of the changes we mentioned except the Animals mod. If my pc here wont work right I'll have to move the project to my laptop and that will slow me down a bit more.

I finally had the chance to play this today, and allthough it looks promising. Here are some suggestions/questions:
1. How do I get to the Equivalent of Europe? I start as a land civ, have 600 in 3 different resources and destroy all the barb cities in the area so have noone to trade with.
2. We start off WAY to small. These empires had hundreds of thousands of people, and yet we start with 2 units. Make it 10-30 units (5-15 times the amount) to start off with.
3. We need a playable Europe map.
4. Way to much jungle.

I finally had the chance to play this today, and allthough it looks promising. Here are some suggestions/questions:
1. How do I get to the Equivalent of Europe? I start as a land civ, have 600 in 3 different resources and destroy all the barb cities in the area so have noone to trade with.
2. We start off WAY to small. These empires had hundreds of thousands of people, and yet we start with 2 units. Make it 10-30 units (5-15 times the amount) to start off with.
3. We need a playable Europe map.
4. Way to much jungle.

1. Land starts have to use the "Peddler Profession" and then your units can travel to the "Fair" to trade your goods. Your Peddlers can upgrade to the Merchant profession through researching Commune. And with the Guilds tech you can start to build Caravans and Caravans can travel to Europe as well.

2. Well, even Civ4 and Vanilla Col only start with a couple units. The game would have to be redesigned to accomodate that many units at the start and its something out of the scope of this mod at the moment.

3. Right, we do need a playable Europe map. I have plans to add at least 3 maps for the years 500, 1000, and 1300.

4. And right, I think there is too much jungle as well using the default map. I will have a new random map with less or no jungle in the next update or 2.

I did some tinkering with porting a Europe map from civ4 and it just wont work without some "Europe_East" tiles. Considering that doesn't really work for Europe, I got it working by making all the Europe tiles "east" variants. Ocean spawns tend to be off the west coast of France, but it works.

I'd say that if having realistic scenarios is a goal, you may want to convert all civs over to land based, and get the AI using the "fair."

It also seems to populate an awful lot of bonuses and very few native settlements (like 1 or 2 per civ on a giant map). I always seemed to spawn in southern Russia, too, so (in relation the the faireweather issues) there may be something going on with the way starting locations are preferred.

This is just a stripped down version of NiRv4n4's Europe map (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15197) for tinkering. It really won't make for a good game, as is.

Attachments

• Europe_NiRv4n4.zip
    43.3 KB · Views: 122
I did some tinkering with porting a Europe map from civ4 and it just wont work without some "Europe_East" tiles. Considering that doesn't really work for Europe, I got it working by making all the Europe tiles "east" variants. Ocean spawns tend to be off the west coast of France, but it works.

I'd say that if having realistic scenarios is a goal, you may want to convert all civs over to land based, and get the AI using the "fair."

It also seems to populate an awful lot of bonuses and very few native settlements (like 1 or 2 per civ on a giant map). I always seemed to spawn in southern Russia, too, so (in relation the the faireweather issues) there may be something going on with the way starting locations are preferred.

This is just a stripped down version of NiRv4n4's Europe map (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15197) for tinkering. It really won't make for a good game, as is.

Ok, am close to having an update ready, maybe tomorrow or the next day. After I post that the next thing I want to work on will be some maps and like you say getting the AI to use the Fair. That's a pretty good map for setting up a Europe Campaign. Thanks for stripping it down cause I was going to have to do that myself and that saved me some time.

Update 1.3 is ready for download on main page. The changes are:

- Merged in the JAnimals Mod. Animals can be turned off in the Player Options. If Animals are already on the map this option will prevent any more from spawning
- Added new Huntsman Profession and Master Huntsman unit. Units with the huntsman profession gain 1 Cargo space. If a Huntsman attacks and kills any wild animal they gain a small Amount of Luxury Food.
-Animals: Must be attacked to gain Luxury Food, if they attack and lose you gain nothing. Animals do not always attack even if able, they are "Wild".
-Explorer II promotion now adds the "No bad Goodies" ability
-Killing Animals does not add to Great General experience
-Outposts: after researching Monarchy you can now Found military Outposts with your Military Units. Outposts can be upgraded to Motte and Baileys and then to Castles and are founded instantly.
-You can still build Motte and Baileys and Castles as before to gain more buildings to the settlement
-New Building: Barracks, Citytype: Military, reduces the training time of your Units by 5 turns
-Tweeked the Starting Location spawns
-reduced the cost of the earliest techs
-Adjusted code for the Marauders, they should now spawn more random
-Serfs no longer appear in Europe
-Serfs/Slaves/ and Outlaws can no longer learn from "natives"
-Adjusted the names of some of the Islamic religious buildings(thanks to The Turk)
-Benedict Monks and Sunni Missionaries now only have a bonus of 100% to research and 50% to crosses
-Added new Victory Video

The next update will be to:

-Add in Scenerio Maps
-Improve the AI
-Change the way Great Generals work

First, jsut wanted to say awesome mod; been playing it for the last couple weeks.

Cant get the 1.3 to load. I've downloadded and overwrote (merged) the files into the 1.2 version, but when I go to load it it takes a while and then comes up with a Colonization has stopped responding error. Using XP, dont know if that makes a difference, but havent had any problems with 1.1 and 1.2. I noticed both the file download and the merge take quite a while.

Really looking forward to the Mauraders spawn fix; they have been driving me insane with how close and often the spawn to the same location in 1.2. alot of times they would spawn at a nearby native village and were invisible until they attaced one of my workers or travellers.

Also, highest on my wishlist would be being able to plant resources (cotton, barley, wine) like the sheep/cattle. also, another couple ideas I had:
-it'd be cool if you could do something with the sheep (like turn them into hides or something). I love how the cows convert to hides and lux food. I alwasy just end up taking the sheep to the fair every time I get 100 unless I need to plant some. maybe if the butcher could convert the sheep at a 2:1 ratio or only give hides from the sheep.
-it'd be cool if there was a 2nd yield for grasslands (like cotton/barley). dont know what it would be (coffee, indigo??).
-itd be cool if the justice also had a founding father line associated with it. I usually find myself not very concerned with it until late game when I "have nothing better to do".

one last thing, since you cant native train the slaves/serfs/outlaws anymore is there any way to improve a slave? it's also difficult with the outlaws, because usually by the time I get around to producing Justice in a city I dont have available spots that I want to put a criminal at. maybe a jail or labor camp to help "re-educate" them like the school does?

First, jsut wanted to say awesome mod; been playing it for the last couple weeks.

Cant get the 1.3 to load. I've downloadded and overwrote (merged) the files into the 1.2 version, but when I go to load it it takes a while and then comes up with a Colonization has stopped responding error. Using XP, dont know if that makes a difference, but havent had any problems with 1.1 and 1.2. I noticed both the file download and the merge take quite a while.

Really looking forward to the Mauraders spawn fix; they have been driving me insane with how close and often the spawn to the same location in 1.2. alot of times they would spawn at a nearby native village and were invisible until they attaced one of my workers or travellers.

Also, highest on my wishlist would be being able to plant resources (cotton, barley, wine) like the sheep/cattle. also, another couple ideas I had:
-it'd be cool if you could do something with the sheep (like turn them into hides or something). I love how the cows convert to hides and lux food. I alwasy just end up taking the sheep to the fair every time I get 100 unless I need to plant some. maybe if the butcher could convert the sheep at a 2:1 ratio or only give hides from the sheep.
-it'd be cool if there was a 2nd yield for grasslands (like cotton/barley). dont know what it would be (coffee, indigo??).
-itd be cool if the justice also had a founding father line associated with it. I usually find myself not very concerned with it until late game when I "have nothing better to do".

one last thing, since you cant native train the slaves/serfs/outlaws anymore is there any way to improve a slave? it's also difficult with the outlaws, because usually by the time I get around to producing Justice in a city I dont have available spots that I want to put a criminal at. maybe a jail or labor camp to help "re-educate" them like the school does?

K, I am reuploading 1.3 now, I must have somehow merged in older files. So, please check out the new Update when its uploaded.

I forgot to add in an option to turn off Marauders totally. So, I'll have to do that next update. When you hear that Marauders have been spotted in the hills its always a few turns before they actually appear. This is done so that the player will have time to set up a defence. If you have a Tower built nearby they will tell you exactly how many turns until the Marauders appear. With Update 1.3 the new Outposts/Motte and Bailey/Castle provide the same benefit. Anyway, test out 1.3 and let me know how it goes.

The plant resources option does sound pretty sweet so its definitely on the to do list.

Yeah, we need something to do with Sheep besides just sell them. I could add an option to the Butcher much like the Armorer so that you can click on the Butcher's house and select which type of Animal to butcher.. cows or sheep. Hows that sound?

I have plans for the player to be able to open up New trading routes. These trading routes will allow access to new Resources like Silk, Porcelain, Coffee, and Indigo. So, yeah on the to do list as well.

Founding Fathers will probably be one of the last things I work on. Like I mentioned before if anyone wanted to rework the founding fathers I'd be glad to post the changes for others to test.

Slaves, at the moment, are probably useless. The plan is to make it so they cost no food and serfs cost only one food. Also, in the plans is to allows the player to purchase a Slaves freedom... then they will become Serfs or Peasants or even have a chance to already be proficient in a profession.

A jail for the Criminals is something I thought of as well. So, yeah thats a good idea.

When I get the chance I'll post everyones suggestions on the second post so we can keep track.

Will try the new 1.3 when I get home from work tonight.

Further thoughts on the sheeps issue- I love the idea of being able to butcher them selectable like the armorer, but maybe they should just turn to reg food and hides, just to balance out the cows. Sheep pasture provides sheep and wool, where cow pasture provides cows and food, and I think the wool is essentially more valuable then the food. dont know if that is something easily doable?

On the FF issue; If I came up with a justice line of FFs and suggested bonuses to them how hard is it to incorporate? is it a specific xml file and graphic links? never done it before, but sounds like an interesting side project.

Will try the new 1.3 when I get home from work tonight.

Further thoughts on the sheeps issue- I love the idea of being able to butcher them selectable like the armorer, but maybe they should just turn to reg food and hides, just to balance out the cows. Sheep pasture provides sheep and wool, where cow pasture provides cows and food, and I think the wool is essentially more valuable then the food. dont know if that is something easily doable?

On the FF issue; If I came up with a justice line of FFs and suggested bonuses to them how hard is it to incorporate? is it a specific xml file and graphic links? never done it before, but sounds like an interesting side project.

Well, when I think about it more it maybe kinda of a pain if you, say, have a city that produces both Sheep and Cows then you would have to check ever so often and change the Butcher's production. It maybe easier just to have the Butcher consume Sheep, Cows, or both automaticly. The code is not programmed to do this so I would have to change it. But we can start with turning Sheep into Luxury Food as that would be the easiest change and see how the games plays out.

Adding one more line of FF would not be hard. I done that in my privateer mod. With the set up I have with the picture frame art it makes it really easy to add new FF art that matches the rest of the FFs. FFs are all set up in the XML and modding the XML is easy to learn and there are some good free programs that make it even easier. The Civ4 forums has lots of info on modding in the xml.

Doing "side project"s like this is fun and basically Medieval:Conquest is one big huge side project:)

The FFs need to be reworked altogether actually. All I have done so far is come up with influentian people of the time period and just swapped art and names for the original FFs. That being so the stats of the new FFs don't really match up with anything they actually did in history. So, what needs done for the current FFs is to add in Pedia entrys for each one and adjusting thier bonuses to something more fiting to what they actually did in history.

Depending on how much you wanted to do thats something else that needs worked on. If someone else wanted to help then a team could be formed to work on it. I'll eventually do it all myself it just takes time to do these things.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, bwilt, and glad you like the mod.

If I have some free time this weekend I'll try to start looking into that and maybe go onto a seperate thread. I've got to delve a little more into the xml format and see how that is set up.

Was able to download the new 1.3beta and it seems to work fine (no loading issues like before). I started a game and see the animals in the worldbuilder. Not going to be able to play it tonight because I got talked into going out to watch the hockey game, but definately will test it out this weekend.

If I have some free time this weekend I'll try to start looking into that and maybe go onto a seperate thread. I've got to delve a little more into the xml format and see how that is set up.

Was able to download the new 1.3beta and it seems to work fine (no loading issues like before). I started a game and see the animals in the worldbuilder. Not going to be able to play it tonight because I got talked into going out to watch the hockey game, but definately will test it out this weekend.

Sounds great, adding in the XML entrys will be the easy part and I can show you how to do that when you need to know. The hard part is doing the research, coming up with the FFs and their bonuses. I already inquired about getting Medieval: Conquest its own forum to make it easier for "side projects" such as this and the reply was basically "if there is enough interest". I believe there will be in the long road. A game this old is going to be slow go in building interest but its a Sid Meier's game so it really never gets old.

Anyway, if the interest keeps up I'll ask again about getting our own forum. In the mean time, yeah, feel free to start a new thread in the main Creation and Customization forum. Call it maybe, "FFs for Medieval:Conquest mod".

Well, I thought I posted this a couple days ago, but apparently it got rolled back or something.

First of all, when do the animals spawn? I've played a few games to around turn 50 and haven't seen any yet.

On butchers, is it possible to reduce the output when doing both sheep and cattle, such that processing both doesn't mean the butcher produces twice as much output (ie. butchering only cattle gives 4, but butchering both gives 4+4, when it should be more like 2+2). If not, maybe make separate buildings for processing cattle and sheep to avoid the magical multitasking butchers. It does kind of feel like they should have different outputs, but realistically they both give hides and meat. A bit of a quandary, but either way, the damn dirty sheep deserve to die. :p

I also noticed that butchers and bakers are essentially interchangeable. Maybe you could change the output of butchers from luxury food to "meat," and then convert the baker into a "chef" who processes meat + food to make luxury food in a kitchen/dinning hall/feast hall type building.

Finally, I think there's something inherently wrong with how starting locations are calculated. I ran a dozen or so starts on faireweather and it does appear to have improved a bit, though there were still a couple of double stacks. I thought I'd run a few new_world starts to see how they compared and one of the first things I saw was this (attached). I wish I could be more help in figuring it out, but all I've got is conjecture.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 129
First of all, when do the animals spawn? I've played a few games to around turn 50 and haven't seen any yet.
Is the Barbarian/Animals option turned on in Player Options? They appear in the fog of war areas at turn two.

On butchers, is it possible to reduce the output when doing both sheep and cattle, such that processing both doesn't mean the butcher produces twice as much output (ie. butchering only cattle gives 4, but butchering both gives 4+4, when it should be more like 2+2). If not, maybe make separate buildings for processing cattle and sheep to avoid the magical multitasking butchers. It does kind of feel like they should have different outputs, but realistically they both give hides and meat. A bit of a quandary, but either way, the damn dirty sheep deserve to die. :p
Right, if the Butcher butchers both cattle and sheep it would need to be set up so you don't get double the production.

I also noticed that butchers and bakers are essentially interchangeable. Maybe you could change the output of butchers from luxury food to "meat," and then convert the baker into a "chef" who processes meat + food to make luxury food in a kitchen/dinning hall/feast hall type building.
I actually had it set up so there was a "Meat" yield at the start but in trying to keep things from being too overwhelming I down sized it. I like this idea though and it would make more sense. I'll add more thoughts on this later and we'll make some changes to this effect.

Finally, I think there's something inherently wrong with how starting locations are calculated. I ran a dozen or so starts on faireweather and it does appear to have improved a bit, though there were still a couple of double stacks. I thought I'd run a few new_world starts to see how they compared and one of the first things I saw was this (attached). I wish I could be more help in figuring it out, but all I've got is conjecture.

Ok, yeah I'll have to go over all the code again and maybe build things from the ground up. Like I mentioned the game is not designed for landstarts for players. So.. I will have to design it to be that way :)

I haven't had a lot of time to actually playtest version 1.3 much at all yet so feedback at this point is much needed.

Ok, yeah I'll have to go over all the code again and maybe build things from the ground up. Like I mentioned the game is not designed for landstarts for players. So.. I will have to design it to be that way :)

I haven't had a lot of time to actually playtest version 1.3 much at all yet so feedback at this point is much needed.

But you ARE going to port this to a real, historically accurate world map right?

But you ARE going to port this to a real, historically accurate world map right?

Yes, thats what I will be working on next. I would like at least 2 scenerios to start with for around the year 476 and also one during one of the early Caliphates, Rashidun perhaps(632)?

I will be starting a new job in real life as they say so modding will have to slow down for a while.

Top Bottom