Questions about dominance victory

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
So you have to keep your original capital and everyone else looses theirs.

You don't have to take them all, right? Just someone takes them.

What if you take an original capital and then they take it back? Does that still count as 'win' or do you have to take it and keep it?

No, you don't have to take them all, but If you take it and the original owner recovers, you cannot win at Domination. Check the Victory Progress in-game and you'll see who owns the biggest number of original capitals.

Uh, you didn't have to take them all in vanilla or G&K. One of the changes in BNW is that now you do have to be in possession of all other capitals for a domination victory. It's made it a bit more tedious but rarely makes it more difficult to get, in my experience.

Since BNW you need to own all the capital cities in the game to win a domination victory.

I find it silly, even in the past civs, how much you need to take in order to win a domination victory. Seems taking 2/3rds of the capitals should be more than enough because if you have taken 1/2 of them, you have already won. It is just a time sink after that.

I find it silly, even in the past civs, how much you need to take in order to win a domination victory. Seems taking 2/3rds of the capitals should be more than enough because if you have taken 1/2 of them, you have already won. It is just a time sink after that.
I agree. Can that be modded in?

There's a lot of endgame drudgery in Civ 5, where you know you've already won but have to play it out. Less so at higher levels, as when its a close run thing you can sometimes only get victory a handful of turns ahead of the AI doing so, but even then...

What I'd like to see is a new victory type that gives you the win as soon as your total score is 50% more than all the other players totalled.

In my experience, even the very latest stages of domination (immortal or deity) can still turn the tide. Left your neighbour civ with one city standing, did you? Shame that they built the space ship one turn before you could get your carrier close enough..

So you had to finish off Japan before the very last civ, did you? Shame that they destroyed 80% of your ground force with their nuclear missiles so you didn't have enough left to get the last capital before they built the space ship...

I'm just saying that the very end of the game can still be a challenge, if the AI gets to tech high enough. And they can, if they're Babylon or Korea, and they started on the other continent.. Or if they were complete warmongers and ended up controlling 20+ cities by year 1800.

In my experience, even the very latest stages of domination (immortal or deity) can still turn the tide. Left your neighbour civ with one city standing, did you? Shame that they built the space ship one turn before you could get your carrier close enough..

So you had to finish off Japan before the very last civ, did you? Shame that they destroyed 80% of your ground force with their nuclear missiles so you didn't have enough left to get the last capital before they built the space ship...

I'm just saying that the very end of the game can still be a challenge, if the AI gets to tech high enough. And they can, if they're Babylon or Korea, and they started on the other continent.. Or if they were complete warmongers and ended up controlling 20+ cities by year 1800.

That is true but it is rare and not sure how much of a 'victory' it is if you are rolling over them and they manage the spaceship. As a conquering nation I would just rewrite the history books to say that we had sent it into space :D

Askelion's suggestion seems like a good way to take it, based on score. Though I think 25% more than all combined is enough.

Not a big problem though, I hardly ever finish a civ game. I don't need the bean counters to tell me when I have won.

In civ 4 there were two military victories, conquest & domination. For conquest you needed to destroy/vassalize ALL civs! For domination you needed to cover most of the land + a very high proportion of world's population.

In civ 5 earlier domination is much more plausible early in the game & less tedious as you can capture the capital & leave rest of the 10-12 insignificant cities & move on to the next rival.

I agree though that on larger maps it should be something like occupy 2/3 or 3/4 capitals including your own. Would create some intense situations where you may need to send armies to protect other civs from a steamroller otherwise you could loose!
Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom