Great Writer: When do you use political treatise?

If you've hosted the World's Fair, any Great Writers born during this period will provide double the usual amount of Culture with a Political Treatise. So it's definitely a good opportunity to use them then.

Other than that, it's not worth using them in the early game as Great Works of Writing will generate more over time and will provide you with a good Tourism footing to prevent excessive Ideology pressure in the late game.

Once you're Exotic at least with all the civilizations, and you're in the late game where the Policy cost starts to level off relative to your Culture per turn, say Atomic Era, you're probably better off writing Political Treatises, especially as Great Works won't have time to become profitable.

tl;dr, during Worlds Fair and from Atomic Era onwards.

During worlds fair- Political Treatise
Before Archeology- Work of Art
After Archeology- Political Treatise
Found in Ruin- Cultural Renaissance

I'm of the opinion that any great artist/writer/musician should only be used to create a great work of it can be put into a theming slot, otherwise bulb them. The trick is to bulb at the appropriate moment, in the case of writers it's when you have hosted the world fair whilst being in a GA for at least 8 turns.

Consider the maths, each great work creates +2 :c5culture: which can be multiplied by a maximum of +211%('Flourishing of the arts' policy, Golden Age, Hermitage, Sistine Chapel, Broadcast Tower, and Sydney Opera House), making 2 :c5culture: * (1+ 2.11) = 6 :c5culture:. Hosting World Fair doubles your total output culture so the 6 :c5culture: become 12 :c5culture:. Over 8 turns that great work will have generated 96 :c5culture:. Better to bulb the great writer.

In my current (huge/modified prince/marathon) game I was determined from the first to NOT win via cultural victory.
Delayed building guilds. Bulbed most of my writers & artists, but made a few great works early. Caught up with archaeologists.

political treatise is best used during the late era, like great musicians, when there's a lot of culture per turn. Political treatises make that much more in the latter eras than in the earlier eras since the +2 tourism per turn in the latter eras don't make that much as in the earlier eras...

As Phillip mentioned anytime between 8 turns following you starting to host the World's Fair and the end of the fair.
You might also consider if a GW spawned the turn after the fair completed to do it immediately since for most of the past 8 turns it was double.

In addition, at the very end of the game if you've been improving your culture it might get back up to that level if you still want an additional tenet or policy more than you should tourism.

Unless I am stockpiling Great Works for a CV, then every writer is a treatise to get me through the tree I am working on and every Artist is a GA for more culture. The musicians are the only ones I settle in a non CV game.

Okay--I'm stupid.

What is this "political treastise" thing? Is it an option and how do you use it?

I always just automatically make a work of art.

Of course, I only play on Prince.

Whenever great work of arts run out I just spam political treatise from there on although when that happens, they tend to be producing around 2k culture per treatise or more.

Unless I am stockpiling Great Works for a CV, then every writer is a treatise to get me through the tree I am working on

Unless your first great writer is very late, 8 turns of your past culture from the turn you got your first GW is a pittance. (It would be similar to AI Babylon immediately bulbing their free Great Scientist)

Okay--I'm stupid.

What is this "political treastise" thing? Is it an option and how do you use it?

I always just automatically make a work of art.

Of course, I only play on Prince.

It's the Writer's special ability, it uses up the Writer to generate a large sum of culture. A fixed amount, one time only. Alternatively you can use him to start a Golden Age (and use him up that way) or use him to create a Great Work to place in a slot and generate Tourism.

^^Yup. I am playing a game now, and I realized I've used it before. I just forgot what it was called.

I guess i'm not so stupid :)

I usually get about 5 of them for great works (Oxford, Globe Theatre if lucky, Great Library if even luckier) and then culture bomb them, preferably during world fairs. At that time, most civs are either in industrial or modern era.

Unless your first great writer is very late, 8 turns of your past culture from the turn you got your first GW is a pittance. (It would be similar to AI Babylon immediately bulbing their free Great Scientist)

The early ones are on average 1/4 to 1/3 of a SP. Later on they are worth 1/2 or more. But more importantly they shave many turns off the total time to get the next policy. It can make a big difference towards getting the second tree finished.

It's the Writer's special ability, it uses up the Writer to generate a large sum of culture. A fixed amount, one time only. Alternatively you can use him to start a Golden Age (and use him up that way) or use him to create a Great Work to place in a slot and generate Tourism.

Err, you can't use writers to start golden ages. Treatise or Great Work only. Artists start golden ages.

To answer the question, it's pretty simple -- I make Great Works when I'm going for a cultural victory, and I use him (strategically) to do a treatise when I'm not (for which you can get a policy out of easily, if you're doing it right).

My logic is simple - if I'm not going to win a culture victory, Tourism is largely irrelevant. Whereas if I'm not going to win a culture victory, I need to defend AGAINST a culture victory, so making more culture for myself helps me out there. Of course I always try to wait until winning the World's Fair, and Golden age and all that jazz if possible, but I don't see any reason to sweat a great work of writing if I'm on a warmongering or science path.

Unless going for cultural victory I always save 3-4 first writers and artist. After I have won worlds fair I use artist so Golden age last least 20 turns which is the duration on world fair bonus. At last turn of Golden Age I bulb all writers. World's fair is almost always winnable even on deity. Of course addition that I will try to Ally as many cultural citystate during this period too.

When you have no slots for great works, or are heaps close to a key policy or tenet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer the question, it's pretty simple -- I make Great Works when I'm going for a cultural victory, and I use him (strategically) to do a treatise when I'm not (for which you can get a policy out of easily, if you're doing it right).

My logic is simple - if I'm not going to win a culture victory, Tourism is largely irrelevant. Whereas if I'm not going to win a culture victory, I need to defend AGAINST a culture victory, so making more culture for myself helps me out there. Of course I always try to wait until winning the World's Fair, and Golden age and all that jazz if possible, but I don't see any reason to sweat a great work of writing if I'm on a warmongering or science path.

Ok, this will work much better than instantly bulbing very early writers. But I'm curious what your culture per turn output is while hosting the Worlds Fair if you didn't make any great works given that great works area also a major form a culture.

The other comment is that tourism isn't quite non-realevent for defense. If a rival is currently Exotic over you while you are unknown to them it's much easier to cancel this by you becoming Exotic over them, which only takes 10%, than to drop them to unknown.

Ok, this will work much better than instantly bulbing very early writers. But I'm curious what your culture per turn output is while hosting the Worlds Fair if you didn't make any great works given that great works area also a major form a culture.

The other comment is that tourism isn't quite non-realevent for defense. If a rival is currently Exotic over you while you are unknown to them it's much easier to cancel this by you becoming Exotic over them, which only takes 10%, than to drop them to unknown.

Great works don't add THAT much culture. Not compared to working 4 guild slots + buildings. Especially if you don't have the wonders to put said great works in.

Top Bottom