Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Somewhat/Cautiously Optimistic

Votes: 53 28.0%
  • Somewhat Pessimistic

Votes: 68 36.0%
  • Completely Pessimistic

Votes: 48 25.4%

• Total voters
If as more sensible progression you mean "getting four cities and clicking end turn until you win" then it's true. As you might have imagine my expectations are really low for Civ VI , they are just going to do Civ V again with a few additions
Well like I said it plays out differently so within that context. I agree with you, Civ V is a click fest :crazyeye:

I've never understood the philosophy behind completely revamping a game and calling it a sequel. Civ V is a decent game, but it plays out completely different from I-IV

Apart from the 'decent' classification, I agree with this. If I may paraphrase Douglas Adams, Civ V is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Civ IV. So if VI is going to be more of the same but with cartoon graphics and a few minor tweaks, put me in the 'completely pessimistic' camp.

It will be interesting to see how it sells in comparison with Civ V. How many sales it will gain from Civ V fans whose first purchase of the series it was and want more of the same, and how many will be lost by disgruntled Civ IV fans like me who bought Civ V automatically and got badly burnt so have almost no interest in this new direction.

Been trying my best to like Civ5 a few times but failed miserably every time.
As a whole it feels refreshing but the no stacking makes no sense at all. A total dealbreaker to me.
Will Civ6 fix that ? doesn´t seem like it.
I am hoping for it though, really miss civilization, but civ4 feels outdated and civ5 unplayable. I need something new and better!!

I didn't necessarily hate 5... but definitely didn't obsess over it like 4. I'm a little bit pessimistic, mostly because it seems like the vanilla versions suck and the expansion packs make them good.

I didn't necessarily hate 5... but definitely didn't obsess over it like 4. I'm a little bit pessimistic, mostly because it seems like the vanilla versions suck and the expansion packs make them good.

This is pretty much a given. I never buy a Civ game until the "complete" version is available.

I'll read the reviews, I'll try the demo, I'll lurk on some Civ6 threads, I'll see what Civ6 feels like.

I never buy a Civ game until the "complete" version is available.

Yep.

Just saw the pictures of the leaders that are up on the CF frontpage...upped my pessimism a bit. I do not like the style of these leaders at all, so if that's how they're going to appear ingame...ugh.

Sorry, but Cleo looks like some cheesy comedienne doing her schtick.

I do not like the look of the new Looney Tunes leaders. What's next? Bugs Bunny as the alternate leader for America? Or Daffy Duck? Elmer Fudd as a Great General? Guess who looks after Tasmania?

Ugh. No thank you.

I was apprehensive at first, but I had been warming up to it. After today, my optimism is waning.

But really, it's fine for me. I just won my first game on Emperor last night. I won't be done with CIV for a long time.

Sorry, but Cleo looks like some cheesy comedienne doing her schtick.

I do not like the look of the new Looney Tunes leaders. What's next? Bugs Bunny as the alternate leader for America? Or Daffy Duck? Elmer Fudd as a Great General? Guess who looks after Tasmania?

Ugh. No thank you.

yeah, its funny they used that one as a promo pic. Looks terrible imho.
They have seemed to regress on the leaders :(

I had hoped they brought back advisers, or atleast something that shows the era the civ you are speaking to are in. It always seemed so.... non-immersive... to speak with Lincoln in his office... in the ancient era.

Give me Teddy in a toga in classical era, or Darius in a designer suit in modern era.
Make the background reflect the era as well as their civics.

I've taught all 4 of my boys how to play Civ since they've been little. I've received various texts from the 3 oldest concerning 6 that pretty much have been "YGTBFKM" related. This morning, my youngest ( the 17 yr old) actually had had coffee made for me, waited for me to take a drink before saying;
Son; "Pops, I got some bad news"
Me; "Oh hell, who died son"
Son; "Civilization"

He then shows me the front page of CFC, and I almost cried into my coffee. I'm definitely waiting ( along with all my semi-mini me's) until some good quality independent ( here's looking at you Tom Chick and Sulla) reviews come out.

I have no doubt this version is going to be much better than V, but civilization isn't going to ever have the same empire/nation building feel again. Sure, the gameplay will be improved, but I'm pessimistic about the entire philosophy of the game series from now on.

Well, no one can accuse them of ignoring game play and trying to call it new when they just dressed up the graphics.

I would like to revoke my vote and go a bit more pessimistic.

With all these district mechanisms, I can't imagine handling more than 5 cities. There is no epicness and sense of world conquering. I like my civilization being statistical and where every unit or even city doesn't matter much. Civ like that (civ 1, 2, 3 and 4) makes you understand our world.

This new approach is too calustrophobic and sandboxish.

I would like to revoke my vote and go a bit more pessimistic.

With all these district mechanisms, I can't imagine handling more than 5 cities. There is no epicness and sense of world conquering. I like my civilization being statistical and where every unit or even city doesn't matter much. Civ like that (civ 1, 2, 3 and 4) makes you understand our world.

This new approach is too calustrophobic and sandboxish.

Agreed. That's my biggest issue with 6. Everything I read over in the 6 forums about the district system leads me to believe that it's going to be a city manage/builder game as opposed to a empire/expansion game.

I voted "Somewhat/Cautiously Optimistic".
Being able to combine units during later eras to reduce the "Carpet of Doom" created by large number of units in Civ5 is some progress.
The return of City Happiness instead of global happiness.
Wonders taking up a tile.
Buildings built on adjacent tiles.
Eureka moments.

However, as I watched more video clips and read further, I am becoming disillusioned.
Civ6 is appearing more cartoonish and simplified. Like Civ Revolution units in a Civ5 base game.
Only one leader per Empire.
So, I am expecting fewer units and complexity. :(

I liked Civ4s Rock-Paper-Scissors method to a point where I yearned for more complexity and now only play the Realism Invictus mod version which went further to a Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock style method by including a charge mounted horsemen line and extending the Recon units line to be better at attacking melee with terrain advantages.
They expanded the number of leaders to 5 or more, like adding President Polk and Teddy Roosevelt to America.

Even with knowing that expansion packs will come later as usual, I doubt I will see 3 or more leaders for an Empire.
So, my vote might need to be reduced to Somewhat Pessimistic. :(

Civ 6?

I'm still working on my Civ 4 - mod, no time for Civ 6 until 2019 maybe.

I like Civ 5 in most regards, except the Art Deco- Civilopedia style, and
the fact that there just isn't enough user created content yet.

As for Civ VI, well the potential is there, but it all depends whether there will be
a vibrant modding community. If it's just a product aimed at making console- or RTS players spend money, then I couldn't care less. As far as the graphics is concerned, of course it looks cartooney now but should be moddable. The various concepts that has been put forward seem a bit gimmicky, but maybe that is always the case.

Top Bottom