Double Your Pleasure

Originally posted by RobO
And Bernskov, please don't think I posted this just to make Post # 2000 on page number 100 :D -
I really do wish you a nice marriage. And do remember to give it the attention it deserves -
but then again it was an irresistible opportunity to kill two birds with one stone :D
You sneaky b***ard :D

Now I made #2001 so will someone kindly play Also Sprach Zarathrustra for me ;)

Thanks thestonesfan - you're a pal :goodjob:

Now does anybody want to dance ??

:crazyeye:

Now does anybody want to dance ??
[dance]

Ok, enough of that dancing, people are starting to give us some weird stares. :hmm:

Ok, back to the topic of production improvements....

Is it your observation that the AI NEVER builds them, or just very rarely? I went and took the unhappiness away from all of them, and added 1 culture to all of them. One of the first few Iroquois cities started building a slave market as it's first item! :) And Greece's capital has a Mill and Wind Mill! Greece did not have natives, so no slave market, but they did have iron. I'll have to wait and see if they build a forge or not...

However, I can't find any other production improvements in any other AI city :(. All of them are first building libraries, colleseums, etc. that provide more than 1 cp/turn.

I think the AI priotizes buildings by how much culture they produce (besides barracks, harbors, etc. that it already is designed to understand its' purpose and has it in it's build order). I say this because I was practically giving away techs to the Iroquis and Aztecs to boost the tech pace so I would be more caught up with the european civs. And I almost always saw their cities building libraries and colleseums as their first culture building (even before obelisks).

If they do priotize building by highest culture first, then if someone wanted to eliminate culture victory, they could manipulate the AI build order by changing the amount of culture for each building. For example: If you wanted the AI to always build forges and slave markets first, you would give those buildings 3-4 culture points. I'm sure there are other factors involved, but the amount of culture could be one key indicator the AI uses to decide what to build. If you keep the unhappiness from slave markets, you should probably keep the slave market at 1 or no culture, so the AI builds happiness buildings before building the slave market and inheriting all that unhappiness.

Just some observations and guesses if someone else wanted to test it out and see what happens with their games.

Well, in DyP I believe all the AI governors are set to prioritize cultural improvements (please correct me if I am wrong, they used to be if they are not now) so you may have something there. But they are also set to prioritize production improvements and on top of that Soren supposedly tweaked the AI a bit in 1.29 to give more weight to production improvements.

I think Kal mentioned a while ago that he was in contact with Soren and Soren had said that the AI's choice to build improvements was not affected by the negatie happiness modifier. I find this hard to believe, but if Soren says its not well, I guess the only thing to do is prove him wrong. :D

If Firaxis is releasing DYP with its Best of Net Disc, will they fix the aerial view issues? It would seem silly to release it without this fix.

Well, in DyP I believe all the AI governors are set to prioritize cultural improvements (please correct me if I am wrong, they used to be if they are not now) so you may have something there. But they are also set to prioritize production improvements and on top of that Soren supposedly tweaked the AI a bit in 1.29 to give more weight to production improvements.

Not all civs have the culture flag marked. The iroquois just have growth, production, and happiness. I imagine at the time they started building the slave market, they only had the choice of shrine, obelisk, or the slave market (natives were 1 tile from the city). Obelisk matches none of the flags, and the shrine and slave market each matches one flag. I'm guessing the 1 culture I added to the slave market (and/or also having 0 unhappiness of slave markets) was the tie-breaker between the two improvements. But that slave market is the only production improvement I see so far from them, and I'm at the point now where I am going to over-run them.

The aztecs do have culture marked as build often, and that is probably why I saw them build the highest culture buildings first.

By the time I met Greece, they had so many buildings I have no idea what they built first, but I imagine production was low on their list, since they skipped the forge (unless they only recently acquired the iron), and built the mill, and were 1 turn away from completing the windmill.

Checking off 'build often' for workers really helps the AI get resources hooked up. I did that for all the civs.

Originally posted by Nder
Well, in DyP I believe all the AI governors are set to prioritize cultural improvements (please correct me if I am wrong, they used to be if they are not now) so you may have something there.
Sounds like you're playing with version 0.84 which had those settings, but we changed them in 0.86 - check the version number when you start civ3 (in the bottom left corner). :)

Mike23: Sorry, but they're not going to fix it - actually, I can't imagine this will ever be fixed. It's just waaaay to much work for only cosmetic enhancement, I'm afraid. Other mods (those that have added improvements) are affected by it too, but the DyP mod is especially screwed up, because we decided to rearrange the order of appearance in the BIC file. That makes the Build list nice and orderly, but also screws up the original improvements in the City View. Personally, I prefer to have a Build list where I can easily find what I'm looking for - [Begin Shameless Plug]especially since there's so g*dd*rn much to choose from[End Shameless Plug] :D

Originally posted by Isak
Sounds like you're playing with version 0.84 which had those settings, but we changed them in 0.86 - check the version number when you start civ3 (in the bottom left corner). :)
Ok, that is probably the case. I can't check right now, but I will take your word for it, oh Guru of DyP. :p

I wonder if the AI will ever figure this mod out? :) I am sure you guys are wondering the same thing. :rolleyes:

Well, regardless, I am looking forward to seeing the next version of the Mod. If Kal-el was able to get all those techs in place like he was saying he would he deserves a medal. 44 techs per age, that is friggin' crazy:cool: And once the PtW version comes out, lookout brother here I come.

Originally posted by Kal-el
I like the "pig boat" name, but I also like submersible.

I think we need to have a run off. :)

A) representing the silly party: Pig Boat
B) from the not-so-silly party: Submersible
C) write-in not named U#### ;)
cast your votes.

AAAHHH THERES 2 VOTES FOR SUBMERSIBLE AND 1 VOTE FOR PIG VOTE AND NOBODY'S VOTING!!!

Ahem...
This is one vote for 'pig boat'

Everybody vote! Unless you think the name-the-sub contest winner should be anything but 'pig boat' ;)

:eek: OOOH - a vote for the Very Silly Party - If this were repeated over the whole country, it'd probably be very messy....

Do we have a swang? :crazyeye:

Congratulations [dance] :love2: [dance]
Have a really nice marriage day!

Thanks

And Bernskov, please don't think I posted this just to make Post # 2000 on page number 100 :D -

Yeah right, 3 post in a row explaining it will hit 2k :)
Great job everyone!

Do we have a swang? :crazyeye:

Linkman: Er, well, ah , there .. there isn't a swing, how about the swong?
Norman:Well its 29% up over six hundred feet but it's a litle bit soft around the edges

:D

Now I've asked this before, but never really gotten a satisfactory answer.

Can anyone explain how this thread ever grew to be over 2000 posts big?

Is it in some way or another linked with Hymns to Finland, Election Night Specials and endless excuses from the release manager, about why the patch is once again 14 days late.. :)

:D

Now I've asked this before, but never really gotten a satisfactory answer.

Can anyone explain how this thread ever grew to be over 2000 posts big?

Is it in some way or another linked with Hymns to Finland, Election Night Specials and endless excuses from the release manager, about why the patch is once again 14 days late.. :)
Eeh, let's see...

We have the greatest Civ3 mod out there, both in terms of quantity and quality :goodjob:

This is a team effort and we have a very creative team.

We have had a few :blush: bugs.

The release manager talks a lot. Well, sometimes, at least ;)

The quality manager :scan: is trying to hit the 300 post mark without being too obvious about it (so that he can have his own avatar :rolleyes: )

The Fearless Leader likes to quote www.Infoplease.com at length.

We tend to have endless discussions about weird subjects like the names of submarines or why we have so many posts.

That might explain it. Did I forget anything?

That might explain it. Did I forget anything?
I think you forgot, how the Quality Manager has to set the Release Manager straight 2-3 times every day ;)

But otherwise an exhaustive list, I think :goodjob:

Only 32 posts to go - I can't wait to see what your avatar will be...

The quality manager :scan: is trying to hit the 300 post mark without being too obvious about it (so that he can have his own avatar :rolleyes: )

Thats a lot of posts.

To get back on topic;
Kal-El have you made up your mind regarding subnames?

Can I just add at this point this is in fact the second time I've ever appeared on Television?

Top Bottom