Double Your Pleasure

Originally posted by Isak
Nightstorm:
Isn't it possible to convert .flc's to pcx using Flicster? Then you could just convert the Tactical Nuke .flc's and voila .... Maybe some of the animation dudes know about this.

Kal-El:
What's your verdict on Patch 1.21f ?

you could use flicster to convert them but they will have a pink background. I dont know if this is what you wanted or if you need the background terrain graphics with it. If you did get the pink background, you could paste it onto the terrain with the pink color as transparent.

Ok, so the readme is out and there are a couple of things that mean good things for the DYP mod.
1. More Resources – “a blessing, a blessing from the lord”
2. Unit Hit Points
3. Lethal Bombardment
4. Multiple AI Strategies for Units
5. Fixed Bug that caused icons to disappear from techs on Science Advisor Screen (this one may actually turn out to be a bigger headache than a blessing)
6. All terrain as roads to work with water units - Not sure what this one means, but it looks interesting

Off the top of my head ;), here are the additional resources that can be expected in the next release:

Copper – Available with Mining - required for trireme, spearman, all archers
Timber – Available from Start - required for ancient boats
Flax – Available with Farming - requied for middle ages ships
Tungsten – Available with Super Conductor - required for Mobile Infantry

Coffee – Available with Crop Rotation
Dyes – Available with Ceremonial Burial
Incense – Available with Mysticism
Jade – Available with Masonry
Marble – Available with Masonry
Sheep – Available with Weaving
Tea – Available with Aristocracy

Pigs – Available with Domestication
Rice – Available with Farming
Corn – Available with Farming
Potato – Available with Farming
Crab – Available with Boat Building
Pheasant – Available from Start
Marlin – Available with Seafaring
Seal – Available from Start
Pheasant – Available from start
Silver – Available with Mining
Squid – Available with Magnetism

that's 22 new resources + the 3 that are already in the mod for a total of 25 new resources, for those of you out there who are counting ;)

Although, the additional luxuries may not work still so those might not go in the game. I will test that. If they don't sheep will move down to the bonus resources.

Originally posted by Kal-el
6. All terrain as roads to work with water units - Not sure what this one means, but it looks interesting

I checked out the readme earlier today. (Cant wait for the patch! I just hope the editor works with the game - an unfortunate side effect of patch 1.17)

What I think #6 means is that when a sea unit is marked with "all terrain as roads" it will multiply the move factor of the unit by the road move factor. So if the road factor is the default (3) and the unit's move factor is one, it would actually move three spaces.

yes, but why? and since when did the water tiles cost more in movement points?

I guess this would allow blitz for the later ships, without giving them 10 attacks when they are on blockade.

yes, but why? and since when did the water tiles cost more in movement points?

I guess this would allow blitz for the later ships, without giving them 10 attacks when they are on blockade.

Personally I think it's pointless. If I want my ship to move three spaces, I give it a move factor of 3. I dont set it as 1 and check "All terrain as roads" because all water tiles (sea,coast, and ocean) all have 1 move cost anyway.

Originally posted by pesoloco
you could use flicster to convert them but they will have a pink background. I dont know if this is what you wanted or if you need the background terrain graphics with it. If you did get the pink background, you could paste it onto the terrain with the pink color as transparent.

Man, Flicster's export feature rocks! As far as the pink background, you can always pick one color from the terrain background and flood fill to get rid of the pink. Then, I use Paint Shop Pro to free-hand select only what I want in the terrain graphic. Copy from one, paste into another and this is the final result for atomic weapons test. Awesome huh! :goodjob:

Attachments

• atomicweaponstestlarge.gif
    atomicweaponstestlarge.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 497
Kal-el:

I noticed you set Tungsten as available at Super Conductor, needed to build Mobile Infantry. If I'm not mistaken, tungsten was used during WWII for armor piercing tank shells, so maybe it should be available earlier. I haven't had a chance to try the mod yet, so I'm not sure what Mobile Infantry is...it sounds like a type of powered infantry unit, like from Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie). If it is a high tech unit, maybe it's resource should be uranium, for either 1) power source or 2) depleted uranium armor piercing rounds. But like I said, I haven't tried the mod yet, so what the heck do I know? Just some ideas, though. I look forward to trying it once you've had a chance to take advantage of the new patch. :)

Ed,

You are correct in your assessment of the Mobile Infantry. Have you read the book. I was so excited to hear they were turning it into movie and then so disappointed with the results. The bugs were cool but the MI was certainly a let down. Yes the MI in the DYP is based on the MI of StarshipTrooper (the Book, not the movie)

I have no problem with making it available earlier, and as it stands MI require Uranium and Aluminum.

Nightstorm,

The images are not directly exportable. In fact as of this writing, I do not know of anyway, other than screen capture, to get the animations from these two games.

One more Day!
:D

Kal-el:

Yes, I've read the book Starship Troopers, and I too was a little disappointed with the way the MI turned out in the movie.

I don't know if you have a Heavy Tank WWII type unit (like the Tiger) in the DYP mod, but maybe Tungsten can be a requirement for that to represent it's use in armor piercing ammo. Anyways, just a suggestion.

Sheep – Available with Weaving

just a suggestion:
what about "Wool" instead of sheep, since this is a luxury available with weaving. The product is wool not the sheep itself.

I can't wait to have unlimited resources!!!! Tommorrow's the big day...

Originally posted by pesoloco

just a suggestion:
what about "Wool" instead of sheep, since this is a luxury available with weaving. The product is wool not the sheep itself.

I can't wait to have unlimited resources!!!! Tommorrow's the big day...

Good point. I initially had them as a bonus resource, so sheep would make sense there. If there is still a limit on luxury resources they will remain sheep and be bonus, if no luxury limit, it will be changed to wool. I finally have a good image. I try and avoid using the images from resources.pcx because they are a bit dull and look to much like the original Civ2 graphics, which i never liked. The resource.pcx images on the other hand look more like ToT images, 3d and vibrant.

Originally posted by Ed O'War

I don't know if you have a Heavy Tank WWII type unit (like the Tiger) in the DYP mod, but maybe Tungsten can be a requirement for that to represent it's use in armor piercing ammo. Anyways, just a suggestion.

the Mod doesn't have a Heavy Tank unit. I think with the advent of the HP system, the units will have to undergo an overhaul. It is possible that additional units may be added, now that there can be greater diversity. the new HP is a great addition to the game. yea!:D

=======================
Are there other units people think need to be in the mod? And it is not my intention to just put units in for the sake of putting units in (even if it may seem so at first glance:p ) So please, if you suggest a unit, include a reason for it needing to be in the mod.

I'm having some trouble building the port and shipyard.
The strange thing is that I can't build those two buildings in any of my cities om my main continent, but I can build both port and shipyard on a continent that I just colonized.

Harbors are not a problem, only ports and shipyards.

Originally posted by Comen
The strange thing is that I can't build those two buildings in any of my cities om my main continent, but I can build both port and shipyard on a continent that I just colonized.

First off, Kal-el initially did not set these improvements as coastal improvements [did you fix that for v0.2 Kal-el?]

Second, unless you are trying to build them in a coastal city, you won't be able to build them. In other words, your city must be directly on the coast, not 1 or more tiles off the coast or you can't build any coastal improvements or wonders.

If you were trying to build them in a coastal city, then yep, it is one of Kal-el's bugs :p

Hope this clears things up.

Well, now that the improvement and wonder images for the civilopedia are finished I am working on the buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx files, so that everything shows up correctly in the build queue.

If anyone has already done this, let me know so I don't duplicate something that is already done.

Good point. I initially had them as a bonus resource, so sheep would make sense there. If there is still a limit on luxury resources they will remain sheep and be bonus, if no luxury limit, it will be changed to wool.

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but how about this idea. You can still call it wool instead of sheep. But, go ahead and make it a bonus, under the premise that it would earn money. Weavers could make wool, wool garments, etc. from the sheep and sell them at the market. Could add shields that way. Maybe?? :)

Originally posted by Comen

Comen,
Well now, that is interesting. So you say you can build them on another continent but not on your original continent.

How bout you EC, can you build them on a different continent.

I could have sworn that I went in and changed them to coastal in v.0.2 please check your bic files. I will do the same when I get home.

Nightstorm,

Regarding the wool issue. Luxury resources can and do provide tile bonuses. My only concern is that the patch may not fix the problem that when you link the ninth luxury to your empire the game crashes. Or at least it has for me. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I think when I tried to add more luxuries I hadn’t reordered them so that it went strategic, luxury bonus.

I have v.0.2, so that's not the problem.

Continent 1: Have coastal cities, can build harbors, but not ports or shipyards.

Continent 2: Can build harbors, ports and shipyards, have built a port already.

Top Bottom