Double Your Pleasure

Just curious if you guys got the improvement pictures to show up in city aerial view or if these are only civilopedia pictures.

I know it can be done if you replace the images of existing improvements. I have been working on the additional_building.pcx file but as of now have not got any extra buildings to show up.

Nightstorm,

How bout both. Use the one on the left for ancient and middle ages and then the one on the right for the industrial and modern.

What I don’t like about the one that I provided is that it doesn’t really fit in with the rest of them. What I suggest is that you move the toll bar in closer to the tollhouse, and remove the grass and trees but leave the road. I was planning on doing this myself until you so graciously offered to help.

As far as the WWW is concerned how about a monument with a globe with WWW around it, similar to the wonder splash image.

For the internet maybe show 3 or more computers arrayed horizontal (in a triangle or whatever facing outward) connected to a server (black box) as the hub with wires as the spokes? Is that clear? I don’t think I was able to express the idea in words. Try this, think of a wheel lying on its side with the server as its hub and at the end of each spoke (which are represented by wires, phone cords) is a computer monitor. Put this on a monument pedestal and you’re all set.

Originally posted by RobO,
Another point, which speaks against giving the initial settler faster movement: Why not let the settlers you get from tribes be identical to the one you get at start - i.e. they are not wheeled. I think this would add spice to the game without throwing it off balance.

RobO,

I think this is actually necessary. Who wants to get a settler from a goody hut in the middle of the jungle and not be able to move them from there until you can get a road into them. That would suck. So this is a change that will definitely be implemented.

How to do it is the question. There is no, or at least I am not aware of any, tab to change the type of unit that you get from a goody hut. Yo can change the type of resource that pops out, default is gp, you can switch this to horses, iron, gems, etc. but I haven’t seen a tab that allows you to alter the type of settler that you get. You can alter the type of unit that is changed to when you capture a settler, and what kind of unit you get from victorious armies, but no settler from hut. I am hoping it is related to the settler’s position in the bic, i.e. whatever unit is in the first slot, the other option would be that it is name related. I think the way to implement this would be to rename the settler nomads and then create a whole new settler unit. This would only work if it directly related to the bic position. If it is name related then I need to rename the settler “Tribe” and rename “the Tribe” “Settler”. I would rather have it be bic position related, actually either way I think I will make a new settler unit so that you get Nomads, not more Tribes from the goody huts.

I will wait to hear if people have any ideas on how to implement this, before I actually go in and start changing things. So what do you think?

3 shall be the number .... best movie ever!!!!!! :goodjob:

I really want to play to your mod but i can't read everything, where are the last THREE files i shall download (what page)???
And are you sure i don't have to download another file to play (like a map or something). :rolleyes: Do you play with 1.17???
Did you change the civs?? If you did i hope you 've made the french a great civilisation!!!!! ( right i'm french maybee it could explain some grammar mistakes)

Ok, I'll volunteer to be release manager - does that mean I'll have to clean up the mess on my own harddrive first ? :crazyeye:

About pesoloco's questions, I'm curious too - are they for city view or civilopedia or both (or neither :confused: )

And now for a long and tedious lists of issues that came up while I was waltzing through the BIC yesterday

1. Copernicus Observatory is flagged as Expansionist - shouldn't that be Scientific ?

2. Roman Legionaires upgrade to Persian Immortals ? Shouldn't that be Longswordsmen

3. The Barbarian Rider only has a movement of 1 - Should be 2 or..?

4. This might be my lack of understanding with the deeper game mechanics, but I noticed the Naval Mine is flagged as a Land Unit?

5. Caravan has Rate of Fire set to 2 ?

6. Arquebusier upgrades to Musketeer which is only available to the French - I guess this should be Musketman instead.

7. The Spy has no entry in the Civilopedia Entry dialogue box .

8. Knight Upgrades to Chinese Rider. Should perhaps be Dragoon.

9. War Elephant requires Furs?? I'm guessing it should be ivory, unless you've got some Mammooth thing going on ("Ok guys, cover the Elephant in furs while I glue these tusks to it's cheeks.. it'll scare the sh.. out of them Romans")

10. Elephant Archer upgrades to War Elephant which is only available to India - maybe this should be Horse Archer?

Again I might just be missing some crucial point about the game mechanics, so don't hesitate to slap my wrists (or whatever) - merely trying to point out some stuff that looked like minor inconsistencies to me, and thought we might as well weed them out before the new release manager takes over ;) (I hear he's really tough)

About the Settlers From Huts Dilemma, I have a gut feeling it could be the unit selected as Start Unit 1 under the General Settings - but i will have to test if I ever get the time to play :) . Has anyone else noticed which units they have been getting from goody huts while playing this mod?

On a final note - I would gladly help out with some of the other stuff that needs to be done - I might volunteer to do some of the civilopedia entries - and later tonight I'll go read a bit about Flicster, and If I get really clever I might put together a few units as well. :rolleyes:

I'm getting too old for this sh..

all the files you need are in the first post. download everything that is there, it includes the original files, the patch to v.0.2 and some other files I forgot to add in. there are smaller downloads later in the thread.

It is not set to be played on any particular map. I will eventually edit my "more aesthetically pleasing earth" map to incorporate the new resources, but until that time it needs to be played on a randomly generated map.

I did not change the civs, other that changing the starting techs to match the changes in the tech tree and adding more city names. Oh, and I changed some of the build oftens, and I changed the favorite and shunned government types, but other than that, :), the civs are the same.

hope you enjoy the mod.

say thanks to everybody who is working on it. :goodjob: everybody.

yeah, we have a release manager. aren't you all happy now!?!?!

thanks Isak!

Isak,

1. Copernicus Observatory is flagged as Expansionist - shouldn't that be Scientific ?

Should be Scientific, I dont think I changed that though, and I guess I can see how they thought it was expnsionistic. "Space, the final frontier."

2. Roman Legionaires upgrade to Persian Immortals ? Shouldn't that be Longswordsmen

That is part of the wierd Firaxian fix to the upgrade tree, I saw that and thought to myself, "don't mess with what you don't understand."

3. The Barbarian Rider only has a movement of 1 - Should be 2 or..?

Yes

4. This might be my lack of understanding with the deeper game mechanics, but I noticed the Naval Mine is flagged as a Land Unit?

should be naval unit

5. Caravan has Rate of Fire set to 2 ?

I used the copy tool to copy the catapult, in order that it could be captured and forgot to edit that out.

6. Arquebusier upgrades to Musketeer which is only available to the French - I guess this should be Musketman instead.

the Arquebusier was originally the musketman, and this is part of the Firaxian upgrade chain. Don't ask me?

7. The Spy has no entry in the Civilopedia Entry dialogue box .

should be "PRTO_Spy"

8. Knight Upgrades to Chinese Rider. Should perhaps be Dragoon.

Talk to Firaxis :)

9. War Elephant requires Furs?? I'm guessing it should be ivory, unless you've got some Mammooth thing going on ("Ok guys, cover the Elephant in furs while I glue these tusks to it's cheeks.. it'll scare the sh.. out of them Romans")

lol, should be ivory, smart @ss

10. Elephant Archer upgrades to War Elephant which is only available to India - maybe this should be Horse Archer?

yeah, ok

regarding flicster,

JimmyH, over on the Unit Request: Missionary thread, has indicated that he is working on a program that will automatically convert the AoE and AoK units to Flicster PCX files. so hold off on that. (cringe - can't believe I just told anybody to hold off on putting together these units which I have been asking for for the past 4 months):crazyeye:

I hope that the post about the tool that converts AoE stuff to pcx is true. Well, Actually I will be happy that I dont have to continue editting this dern pcx file zoomed in to the point where I can count pixels, but then again I will be mad that it wasnt released before i started . . .

Anyway, it is a really good idea. I want a copy as soon as it is finished and then I guess i can make some units for the mod (AoE units only though :p )

Comment on the goody hut thing..

Evry time I'v epopped one and gotten a settling unit, it's been a The Tribe...as in..'A friendly Illinois The Tribe wants to join our despotism!" So I haven't had any problems with a settler stuck in the middle of the jungle.

so I should rename "the Tribe" to just "Tribe", thanks for the update.

Ok, so apparently there's a new patch coming out this Friday. This may change some things, will have to wait til Wednesday to see.

and here I thought the creative process was nearing completion. :)

Can't wait to see what new options are available.

Originally posted by Kal-el
Nightstorm,

How bout both. Use the one on the left for ancient and middle ages and then the one on the right for the industrial and modern.

What I don’t like about the one that I provided is that it doesn’t really fit in with the rest of them. What I suggest is that you move the toll bar in closer to the tollhouse, and remove the grass and trees but leave the road. I was planning on doing this myself until you so graciously offered to help.

Hmmm...ok, I'll mess around and see what I can do. I am actually in the process of working on Toll Both v2.0. I don't like what I did for v1.0. I originally designed it as a 1x1 in the SC3K Architect Tool, but I think I'll make it a 2x2, just so it doesn't get blown up during the conversion process and get all blurry.

As far as the WWW is concerned how about a monument with a globe with WWW around it, similar to the wonder splash image.

For the internet maybe show 3 or more computers arrayed horizontal (in a triangle or whatever facing outward) connected to a server (black box) as the hub with wires as the spokes?

Hmmm...I'll play with that too and see what I come up with.

And just so everyone knows, I am finished with the buildings and they have been zipped and emailed to Kal-el (all except internet and www of course). I see there was some question about which these were for. These are initially only for the civilopedia. I am, however, working on trying to get them to show up in the aerial view without having to delete something else from the aerial view.

Also, Kal-el: were you gonna update the buildings-small.pcx and buildings-large.pcx files so that the buildings show up in the build queue or would you like me to work on that too?

Ok, I can't remember anything else, so I gues that is it for now. :lol:

Originally posted by NightStorm

Also, Kal-el: were you gonna update the buildings-small.pcx and buildings-large.pcx files so that the buildings show up in the build queue or would you like me to work on that too?

could you please? Thanks. I am eagerly anticpating their arrival in my inbox.

I hope the patch allows us to add ariel views of our buildings without replacing current ones. If i was in charge of ariel view images, I would wait until later this week to see if Firaxis added a fix to that in the patch (*wink wink*)

The aerial view images are something i've been working at extensively. I have tried just about everything with no success except replacing whats already there

I put a tutorial about in in the tutorials section.

Thanks. I am eagerly anticpating their arrival in my inbox.

As of the posting of this post, they were emailed to you 5 hours ago. I can always post them here if you would like.

Originally posted by GIDustin
I hope the patch allows us to add ariel views of our buildings without replacing current ones. If i was in charge of ariel view images, I would wait until later this week to see if Firaxis added a fix to that in the patch (*wink wink*)

WOW! I must have missed something cause I didn't realize there was a patch coming out this weekend. Anyone know about when and which thread it is in?

Originally posted by pesoloco
I put a tutorial about in in the tutorials section.

Can I have a link to the thread, to see if I can gleam anything from it and try anything different. I don't seem to be able to find it (probably cause I'm exhausted :) )

sure, here is the tutorial thread:
Adding Buildings to City Aerial View

Firaxis wants to put this tutorial on their web site. Hopefully it will be helpful to you guys who want to add images for this mod. I think some of my images (Spirit of St Louis and Circus Maximus) may already be part of this mod.

"Nice job" to everyone who helped put this mod together.:goodjob:

To Nightstorm: The WWW is easy :D
Just use a creative combination of the world (or any good looking planet) and a spiderweb.

Regarding upgrade chains:
As I understand it, the civ specific units are placed into the chain in order to allow those civs to do the upgrade. If a civ can't build a particular unit in the chain, it is just ignored and the upgrade passes on to the next unit in the chain. So, you need to consider the whole chain when you make changes.

pesoloco,

actually i used your spirit of st. louis and your sydney opera house, but the circus maximus i got from caesar 3.

thanks for the images. I think i mentioned you in the readme, if not the oversight will be corrected.

The Firaxis Upgrade Chain

Kal-El:
Wow, I wasn't aware of this upgrade chain thing - RobO's theory is probably right. My big question to Firaxis would be........(drum roll) _Why?_ (And I guess their answer would be: "We are game design gurus - we do as we please")
Thanks. I am eagerly anticpating their arrival in my inbox
Naturally the release manager is dying to see these as well ;)

Originally posted by Isak
Wow, I wasn't aware of this upgrade chain thing - RobO's theory is probably right. My big question to Firaxis would be........(drum roll) _Why?_ (And I guess their answer would be: "We are game design gurus - we do as we please")

No need to ask Firaxis - it does in fact make a lot of sense. It is a simple and effective way of getting the civ specific units into the upgrade chain. In other words, a good design :goodjob:

Top Bottom