7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

Actually, it's probably aimed at guys who want a bit of eye candy (and apparently think Civ5 is the place to get that...?). Feminists wouldn't be too happy about a potentially objectifying piece of art.

Yeah especially how catherine acts in the game :rolleyes:

Actually, it's probably aimed at guys who want a bit of eye candy (and apparently think Civ5 is the place to get that...?). Feminists wouldn't be too happy about a potentially objectifying piece of art.

I know, but i rather blame the feminists :)

Also from the Desktop Review article:
the Ancestor Worship pantheon, which granted +1 culture for every shrine in your civilization.
This means Shrine is a new early game building, and Ancestor Worship is another pantheon.

Also, I haven't seen anyone point it out, but the Great Prophet screenshot indicates that pantheons have religion icons too - the icon in the screenshot is a thunderbolt, which probably is for a sky father / rain and weather god.

Also, I haven't seen anyone point it out, but the Great Prophet screenshot indicates that pantheons have religion icons too - the icon in the screenshot is a thunderbolt, which probably is for a sky father / rain and weather god.
I believe the thunderbolt is a generic pantheon icon (though I'm not sure, but it has appeared on more screenshots).

Tulip fields for the Dutch explaines the gold bonus for that tile. But it would likely be an unique replacer of farms (+1 gold besides current benefits of farms), and not something special only for Marshes as suggested earlier.

So the Byzantines get Theodora.

Boudecia, Dido, Theodora.
Lot's of ladies. Today must be International Women's Day :p

Dido looks good in the screenshots. That one was really left from field; when you see Carthage you think Hannibal; not its semi mythical founder.

I'm quite confident the pyramid at Attilla's Court is the terracotta army :)\

More accurately Qin Shi Huang's Mausoleum.

I believe the thunderbolt is a generic pantheon icon (though I'm not sure, but it has appeared on more screenshots).

As far as I'm aware it's only been seen on Celtic cities, so it's conceivable that it's done by civ. I think generic or by pantheon belief is more likely though.

Could it be a great person tile improvement, seeing as we know the Great Prophet is in?
Seems impossible. Great persons are too rare, and the +1 culture bonus too small.

Pantheons are also mainly designed for the early game (Turn 5 - 50). I think it's pretty clear Shrine is the first common faith-generating building (unlike Cathedral, which is a special building).

The culture building line would be:
Monument -> (new building replacing Temple)

While the faith line would be:
Shrine -> Temple -> ...

Attila's Court could also be a city from the Fall of Rome scenario, just somehow imported over when they created this screenshot. At least I hope so. The Huns, Firaxis? Really?

I guess each civ needs to have its strange, illogical civ as Civ4 had the Holy Roman Empire with a leader before its time and generic Native Americans...

I don't know if anyone else has spotted this, but in the Great Prophet screen, we can also clearly see Zanzibar as a new City-State (bottom right, underneath the Advisor window)

I'm loving the female leaders!

British get an additional spy? British? New civ or typo?

This worried me, too. I assume it's a typo or an error as if Edinburgh and Cardiff are going to be Celtic cities, the possibility of having a united British Civ is pretty much out of the window.

Also agreed with your comment about the 'World War I Bomber'. Surely it must have a better name than that?

Maybe England is going to be renamed to Britian in order to clearly distinguish it from the Celts (=Wales/Scotland)? :hide:

Top Bottom