[WIP] Tutorial : Introduction to Master of Mana

esvath

Apprentice of Erebus
Here is my MoM's tutorial for new players. It is still in progress, but already cover the basic things that can make you survive in the harsh world :)

Please click this link to download :
http://www.masterofmana.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=2568

If anyone (who's not a member of MoM forum) want to ask question/tips/strategy here, go ahead. I'll try my best to answer it, or I'll forward your message to the guys at MoM forum.

ok.
nice tutorial.
very didactic; Thanks

I'll still be waiting on your version of the "tutorial for magic" :D
But I think I understood better the district mecanics.
(however the promotion mecanics are still fusy as you didn't explain them)

Could you pass this question somewhere :
I don't understand the interest of "trade post" compared to cottage:
you have no :yuck: but you lose 1 :hammers:;
you get 1 more initial commerce, but same final commerce;
you get + 1 commerce from foreign trade... (so a +5commerce improvement) but cottage get +1 hammer from self sufficiency...

thus in total a cottage (town) is a +2:hammers: + 4:commerce: +1:yuck: improvement (on top of the tile) (you don't care about the :yuck: as merchant/sage districts have low pop).
And a trade center (at best) are +0/+0/+5:commerce:.
:hammers: having generaly more worth more than :commerce:.... there is a huge advantage for cottages.only pseudo-advantage is that you get more commerce early but you have to factor in that that cottages increase the resource generation on nearby improvements :
why would one build trade post ?

(And I know that cottage are more limited in terrain, but IIRC you can build them on any terrain that is irrigated, can't you?)

SO may someone explain me the worth of trade posts ?
(in some former version, the :hammers: from quarry was cumulative and it was easier to get many quarries around trade posts than around cottages (due to the relation between hills and respective terrain), thus trade posts could offset the :hammers: advantage of cottage.
It is not so now.

ok.
nice tutorial.
very didactic; Thanks

I'll still be waiting on your version of the "tutorial for magic" :D
But I think I understood better the district mecanics.
(however the promotion mecanics are still fusy as you didn't explain them)

Yeah, my future work will explain :
6) Combat and Promotion
7) Using Magic System
8) Adopting religion
9) Various strategies

I'll try to update by the end of this week. I'm glad it help you :goodjob:

Could you pass this question somewhere :
I don't understand the interest of "trade post" compared to cottage:
you have no :yuck: but you lose 1 :hammers:;
you get 1 more initial commerce, but same final commerce;
you get + 1 commerce from foreign trade... (so a +5commerce improvement) but cottage get +1 hammer from self sufficiency...

thus in total a cottage (town) is a +2:hammers: + 4:commerce: +1:yuck: improvement (on top of the tile) (you don't care about the :yuck: as merchant/sage districts have low pop).
And a trade center (at best) are +0/+0/+5:commerce:.
:hammers: having generaly more worth more than :commerce:.... there is a huge advantage for cottages.only pseudo-advantage is that you get more commerce early but you have to factor in that that cottages increase the resource generation on nearby improvements :
why would one build trade post ?

(And I know that cottage are more limited in terrain, but IIRC you can build them on any terrain that is irrigated, can't you?)

SO may someone explain me the worth of trade posts ?
(in some former version, the :hammers: from quarry was cumulative and it was easier to get many quarries around trade posts than around cottages (due to the relation between hills and respective terrain), thus trade posts could offset the :hammers: advantage of cottage.
It is not so now.

You sum the differences between trade post and cottage nicely. I personally also does not see too much differences between these two, and 99% build cottage than trade post since I hate loosing -1 :hammers:

I'll paste this at the MoM's forum, maybe there are players who have better insight on this matter :lol:

you can only build cottages on flat grassland, and trade posts on flat plains ( and flood plains ) , so you can never really CHOOSE one over the other, you have to adapt to the terrain.

the unhealthiness from cottages is not a trivial issue, as each point of unhealthiness over the cap now gives -2 food instead of -1... so cottages require more effort, as you need to get techs, resources, and civics for health while trade post need no such thing ;)

but trade posts give you 2 less :hammers: ...
and cottage increase resource discovery (is it cumulative if my farm is surrounded by more than 1 cottage?)
(and can't cottages be founded on river-side plain and river side flood plain (ok that's self repeating) ?)
and as I said, merchant district have low pop and +:health: buildings so :yuck: shouldn't matter to them.

nope, they can only be built on flat grassland now, even without irrigation.

that said, cottages might be superior. we need more feedback :D

and yes, the resurce discovery is cumulative, but only for cottages that are being worked by the same city.

also cottages are not that good for merchant district, you generally get gold via buildings and merchants

don't give trade posts a huge bonus on research? cottages do this, too, iirc, but not so much... and cottages have the chance to pop up a resource on an improved tile without resource... I guess atm cottages are really in favour. or is there some trade/commerce-related-bonus for tradeposts, too.

they give research ?? how so ?
they give :commerce: no?

There is discussion at MoM forum exactly about trade post/cottage thing

http://www.masterofmana.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2640

I feel myself that cottages are waaay better than trading posts, and I almost never build trading posts, typically I prefer pastures (in MoM they can be built at every plain IIRC)

I hope there would be some changes to that mechanics (like +1 additional commerce from trade posts after researching guilds or some other tech)

I dont suppose the game has a manual similar to this:.
Its a very neat guide for RifE. One of the best aspects is the explanation of race mechanics. MoM could use some >_< because they introduced quite some new races

I dont suppose the game has a manual similar to this:.
Its a very neat guide for RifE. One of the best aspects is the explanation of race mechanics. MoM could use some >_< because they introduced quite some new races

That is FFH's guide, not RIFE. I don't think any FFH's modmods have a manual of their own.

Top Bottom