Votes: 3 3.6%
  • South America

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Africa and Middle East

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

killmeplease

Mk Z on Steam
i think the most are from English-speaking countries as its an English forum. There should be native forums in other countries, but as i can say by my experience native forums are usually quite small and puny, so the fans tend to gather on international sites like this.

'Murica reporting in.

I'm surprised by the sheer lack of people who voted here. In the C&C forums, I know a good 3-ish people that would fit under under Asia, 3+ from Europe, 1 from middle east, 2 from south America, you from USSR, 5+ from Britain and its former colonies and the rest I'll assume are also 'murican, since 'murica certainly does have a good quantity of civvers, but also just because a lot of the people on the forums don't show their nationality as their location and so there's no way to know what it is.

And under all those groups the numbers would probably be a lot higher if I bothered to think any harder about it. :p

EDIT: Dang! Just noticed that Europe/Australia/Niew Zeelaand have their own category. :cringe: Readjusting numbers; please wait...

If you want to be more specific.....

December _, ____.

Gotta say though, there's a lot of variation regarding English affluence within non-English speaking Europe. The Nordics and Dutch are generally much better in English than e.g. the French or Italians. So quite the generalisation there in the poll choices. Norway myself, btw.

Gotta say though, there's a lot of variation regarding English affluence within non-English speaking Europe. The Nordics and Dutch are generally much better in English than e.g. the French or Italians. So quite the generalisation there in the poll choices. Norway myself, btw.

It's of course true that Scandinavians generally speak English better than us Latins, but what does that have to do with the poll ? This is about geographic location, not language. I do find the Commonwealth option a little strange, I would probably have gone with North America, Europe (including UK) and Oceania, but oh well.

I thought that was the point with this thread and it having a US and Commonwealth option?

I wasn't born in America (born in England), but in answering your Poll I assumed you meant what is your Country of Current Residence. Did I make the right guess OP?

It's of course true that Scandinavians generally speak English better than us Latins, but what does that have to do with the poll ? This is about geographic location, not language. I do find the Commonwealth option a little strange, I would probably have gone with North America, Europe (including UK) and Oceania, but oh well.
Interesting, why Scandinavians are better in English? Those Nordic countries are relatively small.. Maybe some countries have large internal communities so theres no incentive to attend to international sites. I wonder if its the case for China.
I have separated Commonwealth because they are English speakers

Oceania representation, hurray! :D
isnt Hawaii a US state :)

I wasn't born in America (born in England), but in answering your Poll I assumed you meant what is your Country of Current Residence. Did I make the right guess OP?
right

Well, my country is both Ex-USSR and now EU :) Needless to say that English is the first foreign language that we learn in school.

Interesting, why Scandinavians are better in English? Those Nordic countries are relatively small.. Maybe some countries have large internal communities so theres no incentive to attend to international sites. I wonder if its the case for China.

Warning : long post.

Well first of all the divide is partly based on European languages. Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, German : those are all germanic languages, like English. French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian on the other hand, are all Latin languages, which means they are much farther away from English (French being closer than the others for various reasons). This means it's easier for them to learn English.

An other factor is necessity : speaking Swedish isn't going to get you far outside of Sweden and Finland. If you speak Spanish OTOH, you've got all of Latin America (minus Brazil) speaking your language, more or less. If you're French, that's half of Africa right there. So there's less necessity/incentive. France, Spain and Italy are also much bigger countries (in terms of population) than Sweden or the Netherlands, which means it's a lot easier to just stay in your country where people speak your language. This is somewhat what you're saying with the community sites existing in our own country : for example in boardgaming, there is this huge international site called BGG, but there aren't a lot of French people there because the second biggest boardgaming site in the world in French (Tric Trac), so most people don't really feel the need to go to BGG. None of this really applies to Germany however, and I do believe Germans aren't as good at English as Swedish or Dutch people (although I'm basing this on no actual numbers so it could be completely off).

And then there's the school system. Scandinavian countries, Sweden in particular, are notorious in Europe for being better at everything than everybody else (I'm not saying it's entirely true, I'm saying that the perception). The French moderate left has been dreaming after the Swedish model for years now. Meanwhile, the French school system is completly and utterly broken, especially when it comes to languages. The way we learn languages is mostly through reading and writing, which is all well and good in theory but in practice speaking and hearing a language is much more important, but the French school system in general punishes taking risks, which you are doing if you're speaking a foreign language in front of the class : you will make mistakes and the teacher will correct you, sometimes even interrupting you. This might seem like a small thing, but it's actually an important part of why we suck at foreign languages in general : participation in class is not valued by the French school system, and it is an essential part of learning a language. I can't speak for other Latin countries in that regard though.

One other thing are movies. I believe most movies shown in Scandinavian coutries (and possibly the Netherlands ?) have the possibility of being watched with subtitles instead of dubbing. This is not true in Latin countries. Simple example : I live in a medium-sized French city (Le Havre, 12th biggest city in the country), and I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet because I would have to go to Paris to see a subtitled version instead of a dubbed one. I believe Germany isn't much better than us on that front though.

I will note that this is changing. For example in the French school system, you used to start learning a second language in sixth grade, where you had the choice between German and English. Until the 90's or so, German was often favored by good students because it had the reputation of being harder and thus going in the German class meant you were in a generally better class, so parents who knew this would push their children to take German. This is simply not true anymore, as everyone by now realizes how necessary it is to speak English, so German as a second language is simply disappearing and will probably no longer be an option in a few years if you ask me. I think English is also starting to be taught at an earlier age these days.

Oh and there's an other factor : culturally, Northern, protestant Europe, is simply closer to the UK and the US than southern, catholic Europe. Germany is again kind of in the middle there, but the point still stands for the most part.

I've worked with many Swedes on various projects, and they have told me what Teproc has said. They particularly emphasize the impact of movies and TV shows (particularly after they leave school). Virtually nothing is dubbed (the populations in the Scandinavian countries are just too small to justify the expense), so they are constantly hearing native accents.

Contrast that with French, German and Spanish speakers, who receive much (if not all) of their foreign entertainment in dubbed form. Speakers of those languages are so numerous that the market opportunity for dubbed entertainment justifies the expense of dubbing.

Poland.

IMHO Europe should be divided on Western and Eastern + Russia but maybe that's just me :D

Also, do people living in America but of - for example - Asian roots vote 'Asia' or 'America'? :crazyeye:

Poland.

IMHO Europe should be divided on Western and Eastern + Russia but maybe that's just me :D

Also, do people living in America but of - for example - Asian roots vote 'Asia' or 'America'? :crazyeye:

well dont think much ppl would support your view of Russia :rolleyes:
most Russians actually dont think they're Europeans. And most Eastern Europeans dont want to be 'Eastern' but just Europeans, its my impression.

they're Americans if they live in America i assume) At least they should be speaking English freely.

Interesting, why Scandinavians are better in English? Those Nordic countries are relatively small.. Maybe some countries have large internal communities so theres no incentive to attend to international sites.

I have a theory, which I think works. The general pattern until recently was that Scandinavians INCLUDING Finland (the latter of which doesn't even speak an Indo-European language, together with Estonia and Hungary), Holland, and to some degree Portugal had quite good knowledge of English, while e.g. France, Italy and Germany were behind in that matter (so to speak).

Now, one could say that Norse, Low German (i.e. Dutch), and Old English was very similar, and that's why Scandinavians and the Dutch are quite affluent, but that doesn't explain why most Germans were bad and quite a lot of the Portuguese were rather good - and not to mention Finland.

HOWEVER, none of the Nordic countries (incl. Finland), the Netherlands or Portugal did DUB their cultural input in the 1970s-90s, that is prior to the Internet, but used subtitles, while Germany, France and Italy DID dub all movies, shows etc (probably due to some sort of cultural/linguistic patriotism). Thus, everyone from children to adults HEARD English a lot more than citizens in the latter states. That has to have had an effect. Particularly, when weighing Finland against Germany, where the Germans had a massive linguistic advantage when it came to English.

Does this make any sense? Anyone who could support or provide arguments against this?

edit: I see I'm late to the party here (@Teproc and @Browd). I definitely agree with their assessments.

Top Bottom