Monasteries

ZodiacHeroHK

Chieftain
I have a question, the 10% sci bonus from Monasteries will it be also obe after the sci method?

If not, i got more reglion and build different Monasteries will greatly help the sci output?

I don't know if the +10% science disappears, but you can't build anymore of them... I usually only build Monasteries in science cities that have nothing else to to, production cities if not running OR (right...), or to boost culture before Drama.

The 10% science definetly goes - I always lose a big chunk of tech every time I hit scientific method.. Go figure, scientific method losing me tech.

You can still build missionaries of the appropriate type after they go obsolete, but their tech bonus, university of sankore bonus, and spiral minaret bonus all go with scientific method.

It does seem strange that the scientific method, the most successful innovation to research, actually makes you lose science. The only thing they used the scientific method to do is to prove that religious institutions cant help with reasearch. Stupid scientists!:mad:

The AIs are always trying to trade me Scientific Method for my Steel. I tell them , "No way! My monks are busy researching Combustion!" Sadly, monks are no good at finding oil, so I must eventually gain that irksome tech.

scientific method is great for the ballance of the game...it gives you that moment of pause where you consider if you want to advance too far down a particualr line. if you get through it early the next tech can give you free scientist (physics). its also a nice leveller as if you get quite far ahead in the game through some key wonders, this obsoletes them and brings the others back into play.

Losing your tech output from monasteries is the tradeoff for beeling Physics to get the free GS there.

not only does the 10% science go away, but the monasteries no longer get AP hammer bonus / University Sankore bonus / Spiral Minaret bonus.

Thanks for the answers.

So, will you still made your cities full of religons? will you still build the monasteries? ( for the culture bonus?)

It's not hard to get three religions in a city. That's three monasteries, which is +30% science. Definitely worth doing in any high commerce city.

It is for me. :mad: I am lucky to discover one of the late religions, usually Islam. My border cities may have three religions later in the game, but monasteries are gone by then.

However, If Izzy is my neighbor, I can get multiple religions. :D

It's not only monasteries that go obsolete with SciMeth; so do the Great Library, Parthenon and Temple of Artemis. Then, later, you get Computers; goodbye Angkor Wat, Spiral Minaret and University of Sankore.
It is totally against reason that two techs which, in the real world, have led to huge progress in scientific research should have exactly the opposite effect in the game, but so it is programmed.

you need SciM of course. but computers is skippable if you don't need the highest military troops or the internet. for superconductors it's an "or" prereq, you can get there by refrigeration. fiber optics you can get to through laser.

i love that labs aren't tied to computers any more. i hate that health is so much more a pain in BtS. but, that makes getting to labs by refrig instead of comps useful in a game where i'm pretty confident i won't have a last-minute war while doing the spaceship thing. that way i save the religious wonders. you don't need mass media, so the AP can stay too!

whether it makes any sense that you can launch a spaceship without computers is another issue entirely. :crazyeye:

I usually only build a couple monasteries and I don't find the 10% science bonus to make much of a difference so I never hesitate getting Scientific Method.

Monasteries are definately worth building early on. They are cheap, gives u culture bonus too. build 3 of em in 1 city, thats huge boost to your research in early periods.

I usually only build a couple monasteries and I don't find the 10% science bonus to make much of a difference so I never hesitate getting Scientific Method.

It's 10% per structure, and you can build multiple... So depending on how your game has gone, it can be worse than losing an extra library :( Also, if you have 20 cities each with one monastery, and you have University of Sankore/Spiral Minaret, that's an additional 40 beakers/gold you're losing before multipliers are even added in since your monasteries no longer count for their bonus. It can be a heck of a lot more of a loss than just 10% research. I've had games where my total tech/money income dropped close to 20% with scientific method :(

You can lose about 300 beakers per turn, but the if you only had one religion you can make it back up a litte by going free religion. You should be getting universities, observitories, and oxford by then, not to mention the free scientist a tech later. It all evens out eventually, you just have to build your civ on scientific truth and not religious truth :) It's a transition.

With scientific method you lose all monasteries and the great Library. In a capital with 3 religions, GL, AP member, Univ os Sankore & spiral minaret you lose 30% research, 8 raw hammers, 6 raw gold & 18 raw beackers (24 under representation), empire wide the loss is huge.

That is why in a situation like this and if not in urgency for oil it is better to delay SC method as long as possible.

Top Bottom