CFC TG1: Calling All Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord Players

lurker's comment: Btw, I think we might be getting a bit carried away talking about taking the city. If we think we can pull off the city without retaliation that's great. But usually, the way you do these things is to declare war the second you get a horse, and whittle your enemy down to 0 reinforcements. Then he's got nothing in the way of you and his cities. Also keep in mind, you may want him to declare on you, so you don't get labeled a warmonger. Easiest way of doing this is settling near him, then give him the bird when he asks you to stop settling near him. Settling near him also gives you the advantage of easy healing.

Of course, maybe he'll be a pushover on king, never know :/

Lurker:

He will be easy with 2 horses, if you get there quickly and he only has one town. Probably get an insta heal to use on the one that gets bombarded, if it does not get clear.

lurker's comment:
Crossing a river removes all movement points from a unit. You'd end up on the tile immediately west of the river and be unable to move farther. That's why it's so important to cross rivers prior to Dow, if possible.

lurker's comment:
The game actually implements this by having crossing the river cost 10 movement points; which is why scouts and other units that ignore terrain cost can cross them for free.

So, trying to summarize what to do in my 10 turns:

-Build a warrior
-Move the settler to our fortified warrior, settle Antium.
-Buy the horsetile, use it.

A few questions:

-Should we build a Monument in Antium?
-When Rome grows, focus on growth or production?
-After HR, Pottery?
-After the Warrior in Rome, start a Monument until we have HR, then switch to Horseman?

What say you, people?

Oh, and another thing, I'm having some problems with printscreens. Doing normal ones crashes the game IMMEDTIATELY, and when using Gadwin PrintScreen all I get is a black square with a Civ cursor on it. Anyone got any ideas how to solve it? I guess I could take regular printscreens and reload the game every time it crashes, but I'd like to avoid that "solution" if possible...

A few questions:

-Should we build a Monument in Antium?
-When Rome grows, focus on growth or production?
-After HR, Pottery?
-After the Warrior in Rome, start a Monument until we have HR, then switch to Horseman?

What say you, people?

I think it would be more helpful to build a worker in Antium. We should have at least one more, and Rome will be focusing on horses soon, and buying a worker is out of question I think.

Pottery is a good choice, as we need Calendar to hook up the wine and incense.

Starting to build a monument then switch once HBR is in sounds good to me.

lurker's comment: Personally, I would build a city either on horse (as it was suggested earlier) or next to it, to avoid buying the hex with horse. Or settle on the hex between lake and Mt. Fuji to be able to build fresh water building in the city.

I would also suggest to move worker to the horse hex and start improving it immediately to have horses as soon as HBR is researched (a new city can be founded in 4 turn, pasture is build in 7 turns if I remember well, thus you should have horses in 11turns (or in 9 if you settle on the horses).

My understanding is that we were going to pump out horses from both cities as soon as possible. If you are talking first build in the second city, then monument until the horses are hooked up makes sense to me. However, we did worker first in Rome, so I don't know if that is the same priority in this city. I would make sure to walk the worker we have along with the settler to start hooking up the horses as soon as possible.

lurker's comment:
I'm not used to this gamespeed. What's the price to rushbuy a horse? There'll be 276 gold available when horseback research ends. If this is enough to buy one horse, but not enough to buy a horse and a hex, then definitely settle within range of the horse hex. (Is the first ring of hexes 75 gold at all speeds?)

Also remember, you can always take a loan from Bismark. Offering 4 gpt can get a cash boost that can be turned into a significant fraction of a horse. (I've done interest rate analysis at epic speed, and the computer does offer very reasonable loans.) Further, you can get a loan from Rammy as well, which you won't have to pay back since you'll declare war on him instead, but I consider this a form of cheating and avoid it.

Oh, and see if Bismark wants a pact of cooperation, or a pact of secrecy against Rammy. At this difficulty, it's almost certain he'll not join in the war against you, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Sorry guys, I've been fighting something lately, so haven't been as active. Go ahead and play Sindri. I hate to start a Monument in our second city since we wouldn't be gaining the UA bonus. In my personal games I tend to start a horse there too and usually it completes around the time Rome would be completing its second horsemen, though I realize this isn't the most optimal choice.

lurker's comment: Btw, I think we might be getting a bit carried away talking about taking the city. If we think we can pull off the city without retaliation that's great.

Of course, maybe he'll be a pushover on king, never know :/

The above is why I'm pushing this early war so quick, so that everyone can see that one doesn't need to wait until they have a sizable army. With three horses we'll still wipe out Siam and I'm curious how many of you all will be eager to continue our attack against Germany.

I've played my 10 turns, will post the report and uploading screens and save in about 12-13 hours (i.e. tomorrow morning).

Turn Report (31-40)

31: Rome finishes settler, starts on Warrior

32: Germany walk past Rome with an Archer and a Spearman. Their trait seems to be working...

33: We discover a barb encampment N of Sukhothai and 2 more horses on the NW tip of the continent.

34: Antium is settled, starts on a Worker. Our first worker gets to work on the pasture. Also, growth in Rome.

35: Nothing happens.

36: Seems Ramhkamhaeng irritates easy... Siam => HOSTILE

37: Rome finishes Warrior => Monument (until HBR is ready). A Siamese warrior turns up NE of Rome, but leaves the next turn.

38: Horseback Riding! => Pottery. An Unmet Player reaches Classical Era at the same time as us.

39-40: Nothing happens.

Our "empire" at Turn 40

Up next: shanodin!

EDIT: Forgot the save :crazyeye:

Attachments

• TG1 Augustus Caesar_0040 BC-2400.Civ5Save
    472.8 KB · Views: 87
Grab the warrior from Antium and go clear out that barbarian camp to the southwest. While you're at it, send the Roman warrior to the northwest camp.

Free money! Free xp! It's on a plains so it's easy! It'll stop spawns from harrassing the worker!

soon cometh the horsemen. It looks like the next turn will have to start the horsemen generation and pick the next tech and possibly start on the next production. I'm not sure our direction after this turn. Are we going for stonehenge? did we make a decision on how many horses we want to attack with?

I just took a quick look at the save and had a few thoughts...

Next turn the worker finishes improving the horses. It'll take Rome 13 turns to complete a horsemen (factoring in growth) and it'll take Antium around twenty turns. Personally, I'd probably switch both to horsement that way in a little over twenty truns we'd have thre horsemen, which is plenty big enough to take out Siam.Two would actually be enough, but personally I'd prefer the extra horse.

I'm not sure about removing the barb camp yet. I'm tempted too, but I'm also curious if its close enough to Rio to eventually get the quest to destroy it.

I agree that with this strategy we would switch both cities to horse production. It's contrary to all my builder instincts, but that is the point of this exercise. I also agree with three horses.

I am not sure about waiting for the quest before harvesting the barb camp. The quests don't come up regularly enough for me and money now in my hand is money an AI doesn't get.

lurker's comment: Anyone verified the cost to buy the third horseman? Perhaps you start the attack with two, but keep the money in the bank for a rushbuy as a backup plan.

Agree about the three horsemen. Regerding the barb camps we should probably factor in that Bismarck is out taking advantage of his trait, so we should probably think about grabbing the camps ASAP if we want them at all.

Agree about the three horsemen. Regerding the barb camps we should probably factor in that Bismarck is out taking advantage of his trait, so we should probably think about grabbing the camps ASAP if we want them at all.

lurker's comment:

I wouldn't worry too much about that. A.I. don't really know how to use their ability. Example is greece killing every city state he sees.

Top Bottom