You Can Already Indirectly "Buy" Great Works from AI's!

Halcyan2

Emperor
First off, I agree with many others that it would be nice if they implemented a mechanism whereby Great Works could be bought/sold/traded through diplomacy or war - instead of simply by taking cities.

I do want to point out that right now, you can indirectly buy great works of arts. In BNW, AI's are much more willing to sell cities and don't seem to place much special emphasis if there are great works inside. So if you find a non-capital city with great works (use espionage), you can try buying the city to get the great work. In a test game, Sweden offered me a 10-pop city with a Great Work of Writing for about 75 GPT, while Germany was willing to let a 11-pop city with a Great Work of Writing for around 150 GPT.

However, it would be nice if there was a formal mechanism that made it easier to do it. And so you weren't stuck with a stupid city too if all you wanted was the great work! :D

Obviously you could move the Great Work to another city and resell it, though.

However, it would be nice if there was a formal mechanism that made it easier to do it. And so you weren't stuck with a stupid city too if all you wanted was the great work! :D
Just re-sell the city to a third party. After DOWing the original owner to get your gpt back ofc. Ahem, ahem. :mischief:

(They really should've thought twice before introducing such an exploitable mechanic.)

Imo great works need major buffs (to be worth it in non-cultural games), and tradability would be very nice, too.

EDIT: Didn't realize that Tinker was talking about the same thing... Oh well, my comment rounds out the 'tactic'. :lol:

Obviously you could move the Great Work to another city and resell it, though.

Just re-sell the city to a third party. After DOWing the original owner to get your gpt back ofc. Ahem, ahem. :mischief:

(They really should've thought twice before introducing such an exploitable mechanic.)

Imo great works need major buffs (to be worth it in non-cultural games), and tradability would be very nice, too.

EDIT: Didn't realize that Tinker was talking about the same thing... Oh well, my comment rounds out the 'tactic'. :lol:

Yes, in both of those cases, I moved the Great Work to a "real city."

And yes, I do plan to resell it to a third party, but actually so I can "liberate" it. In this case, both of these civs are already weak. Germany I already recalled to life and liberated several of their cities, and Sweden I already liberated several of their cities so it doesn't make sense to attack them. I already have a ridiculous number of Great Works but I "gotta catch them all," hence the manipulation of cities and diplomacy.

But yeah, right now city selling is a bit exploitable. I am preparing for a war with Portugal and I can actually take half of her cities just through trade (before the war starts) and the GPT gets canceled upon DoW. Well, I guess it makes an economic + warmonger approach viable (whereas most warmonger approaches hemorrhage gold).

I do like that the AI's in BNW are actually willing to sell cities (in Vanilla and G&K, getting them to sell a 1 pop ice/tundra city was still like pulling teeth). But I think it's probably a little too easy at this point....

Top Bottom