What exactly does tradition's opening bonus?

Singulare

Chieftain
What exactly does tradition's opening bonus do?

More specifically what does the increased border expansion mean. Does it work on all cities? Does it matter when you get it?

All I know is that it provides +2 culture for your capital, which is a huge benefit and drastically improves the pace of border growth for that city. Dunno if it has any effect on other cities.

It provides +3 culture for capital and reduces the culture tile cost by a certain amount (not sure off the top of my head) for all cities.

It is a huge bonus in the early game (+3 culture in your capital is sick)- both for opening new tiles, and for getting a second policy as well. It is a very, very worthwhile opening from emperor to deity difficulty as well. Never underestimate it...

It provides +3 culture for capital and reduces the culture tile cost by a certain amount (not sure off the top of my head) for all cities.

It's not a fixed amount or percentage.
It reduces the cost increase for tiles, and that reduction is larger the more tiles your city already has. It doesn't affect your first tile at all, is hardly significant for early border expansion, but is very helpful for late border growth.

It's always +3.
Epic doesn't change yields, it just increases the cost of everything by 50%.

City expansion rate is cut by 75% in all cities with the major exception of puppets.
Capital produces 3 culture per turn as well; which early on helps a lot in getting your capital to acquire tiles in addition to making your second policy extremely fast.

City expansion rate is cut by 75% in all cities with the major exception of puppets.
Capital produces 3 culture per turn as well; which early on helps a lot in getting your capital to acquire tiles in addition to making your second policy extremely fast.

Thats to everyone but this is what I was looking for. Thanks dude.

I was asking because I wanted to boost up my border expansion late game and picked that up after 2 full culture trees. And it seems to me like it was super random. Like I'll stay 30 turns on the same standard squares and than come back a bit later a have 2 squares opened. But I guess I just dont remember properly.

Thats to everyone but this is what I was looking for. Thanks dude.

I was asking because I wanted to boost up my border expansion late game and picked that up after 2 full culture trees. And it seems to me like it was super random. Like I'll stay 30 turns on the same standard squares and than come back a bit later a have 2 squares opened. But I guess I just dont remember properly.

Its incorrect.

The normal formula for culture tile cost (standard) is
15+(n*10)^1.1

with Tradition opener it is
15+(n*10)^0.85

Top Bottom