Why nobody wants to trade with me?

Makavcio

Prince
In my games, I hardly ever get other civilizations to send their caravans and cargo ships to me, even with city states embargoed. I build trade buildings, my cities are accessible, we have good relations, but if I get 2-3 trade routes in late game, I'm very glad. What am I doing wrong?

I've noticed the same thing myself; the AI seems to use trade routes more to send food and production between its own cities. If you need gold, you have to send out trade routes yourself.

I was playing as Venice once, and noticed that my neighbors (Rome and France) weren't sending me trade caravans. So I did a little experiment - I built roads from my capitol (Venice) to their capitols (France and Rome). Wouldn't you know it, they started sending me a bunch of trade routes!.. Until France kicked Rome's behind. ;)

This is an observation made over a dozen of games. In almost all cases, we had adjacent borders. It's pretty much unavoidable on higher difficulties.
In my latest game, I had a pretty strange start with 2 AI capitals in trade range of my own first city. Soon enough there were 2 caravans visiting it, but shortly after they disappeared.
My another observation is that AI doesn't send so many internal caravans. They usually have a target city, in most cases a CS, where they can send 4-5 caravans at one time. AI's internat trade routes usually target only fresh cities.

I find it hit or miss. My last game was spain, deity, epic, standard size, small continents, and had about 15 routes to me (150ish gpt). I had to scroll to see them all on screen. They went to full range of cities (the best and the worst) and all were sea routes. All cities had harbors, markets but few had banks if those matter. EIC seemed to do little for AI incentive.

My current game is on large map, mostly inland, and it's hopeless. 2 routes atm around 1700 and have sufficient roads.

Also, roads don't cost gpt in foreign territory (civs, CSs) so build away. I crossed a continent with roads and only paid for 4 of them. Makes troop movement easier too.

Top Bottom