Garrisoned Units

vyvianarygos

Warlord
Greetings all!

So I take the Garrisoned units have no maintenance ability and I swear half my units don't get credit for it. It seems like only foot solders receive this benefit. But if I put my navy in port or my aircraft are just fortified not running any missions I don't get any credit and still have to pay maintenance on them. This annoys me to no end. A battleship rusting at anchor in the dry docks does not cost as much as a ship steaming half way across the world....

So my question is, is it just me or do only certain types of units receive this buff? Also, Nukes.... if they are garrisoned shouldn't they count for no maintenance.... and why do they seem to require so much more maintenance cost then the other units....

Only land units can be garrisoned in a city, so only land units are eligible for the Oligarchy maintenance buff.

Browd's right. Don't try "garrisoning" ships or air units in the city.

This is one thing that made a lot more sense in Vanilla, when you'd actually have to choose the "garrison" action for the unit.

yes but my point is that naval and aircraft should be able to be "Garrisoned" it is annoying

yes but my point is that naval and aircraft should be able to be "Garrisoned" it is annoying

Well, "garrison" is a word that means something, and it isn't "be sitting in a city." A garrison is a unit of troops who can move about and respond to threats against the city, which a boat or a plane cannot do. Really, the game is pretty forgiving just to make a ship be unable to take damage while it's stationed in a city; in reality, ships are far more vulnerable in that situation, not less.

And that isn't even touching the fact that aircraft can't be stationed anywhere but a city, so really what you're asking for is zero maintenance on all aircraft.

Well, "garrison" is a word that means something, and it isn't "be sitting in a city." A garrison is a unit of troops who can move about and respond to threats against the city, which a boat or a plane cannot do. Really, the game is pretty forgiving just to make a ship be unable to take damage while it's stationed in a city; in reality, ships are far more vulnerable in that situation, not less.

And that isn't even touching the fact that aircraft can't be stationed anywhere but a city, so really what you're asking for is zero maintenance on all aircraft.

You make some good points here IMHO, particularly the last one (although they could be on a carrier). It always seemed odd to me that airbases were not required instead of stationing aircraft in cities, but I guess the game is complicated enough?

-Hey Jack, did you hear they are replacing our town garrison? The old cavalry unit is moving out today.

-Oh, who's going to be the new one?

-A nuke.

-Hey Jack, did you hear they are replacing our town garrison? The old cavalry unit is moving out today.

-Oh, who's going to be the new one?

-A nuke.

LMAO! Almost wet myself reading this. :D

Don't forget, you can have unlimited air / missile units in a city, in a game whose core mechanic is 'one unit per tile'. Brilliant. :sad:

It's an interesting spin on a particular game mechanic. Previous versions of Civ tried to account for the difference is support costs for a unit (land or sea) when it was deployed vs. when it was stationed in friendly territory or in a city. Civ5 doesn't distinguish between a ground unit which is one hex away from my capital, and one which is across the world, deep in enemy territory.

I'd like to think that naval ships cost less for my empire to support if they are in port, vs. out on the high seas.

Top Bottom