[MOD] More Naval AI

also, where is the AI scripting done? I'd like to use some of your AI changes for some of my own Modmods, if I have both the technical ability and your permission of course.

Most of the AI adjustments are in the DLL. With a couple of minor python and xml changes, you can simply insert my DLL into your mod. Pickly did that with the last version of his mod.

AI for spells is found in CvSpellInteface.py. There are some other python adjustments I would suggest copying over also which we can discuss further when/if you decide to use my code.

I just found this awesome mod. Thanks for continuing to improving vanilla FFH 2!

I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Great mod indeed. Nice to see orcs and dwarves sail the high seas for a change.
I have a question about the mechanics behind AI trade blockades. I had several games where AI ships would block my trade routes and after I destroyed their ships and/or made peace with them the blockade wouldn't disappear, making my water tiles unworkable for the rest of the game.
I am not sure wether it is a bug or I'm just missing something, but it sure as hell bugs me...

I have a question about the mechanics behind AI trade blockades. I had several games where AI ships would block my trade routes and after I destroyed their ships and/or made peace with them the blockade wouldn't disappear, making my water tiles unworkable for the rest of the game.
I am not sure wether it is a bug or I'm just missing something, but it sure as hell bugs me...

I just tested this and the blockade disappeared as soon as the enemy ship was destroyed. I also tested making peace with them and that also worked for me. You happen to have a savegame where I can replicate this issue?

I just found this awesome mod. Thanks for continuing to improving vanilla FFH 2!

Thanks guys! It's always good to hear that people are enjoying my work. Keep reporting bugs and other issues as well as giving any feedback you might have.

Thanx for the swift response!

Can you block trade routs when in peace anyway?
Or are there any invisible ships maybe? Even if so, a hawk should see them, right?
I have no savegames unfortunately, but i'll make one next time it happens.

I think there was a bug that if some hidden nationality ships are blockading your city, and you cast the magic to reveal their nationality, the blockade won't disappear. Don't know if the bug still exist.

TXT_KEY_TERRAIN_ICE appears in the mouse over of Fire Elementals.

Just to clarify, you see this missing text tag when you have the unit selected and mouseover its portrait on the left to pull up the description, correct? That pop-up pane appears to have a number of issues displaying terrain descriptions, but I don't know what that pane is called, so I'm having a hell of a time trying to track down the code for it.

Edit: OK. I found the problem code. It was in the setUnitHelp function in CvGameTextmgr.cpp. Fix will be included with the next release. Thanks for the bug report!

I just tested this and the blockade disappeared as soon as the enemy ship was destroyed. I also tested making peace with them and that also worked for me. You happen to have a savegame where I can replicate this issue?

I had a problem appear in one game when using this mod where an AI nation was blockading a port, then i killed the AI and the blockading ship disappeared but the blockade itself did not. I only have a save game from after this occured, sadly.

Is there a way to remove blockades in the world editor by any chance?

I had a problem appear in one game when using this mod where an AI nation was blockading a port, then i killed the AI and the blockading ship disappeared but the blockade itself did not. I only have a save game from after this occured, sadly.

Strange. Though it probably won't help any, why don't you go ahead and give me your save game. Do you know if the blockading ship was Hidden Nationality?

Tholal,

Thanks for your work on this; it's nice to see someone still working to make Vanilla FfH2 better.

I'm playing my first game with your mod (immortal difficulty), and it seems like the AIs are definitely better at the economic game than they are without your mod. A couple strange things I've seen, though: one of my neighbors is the Luchuirp, and I sighted Barnaxus at turn 185 or so. He had Combat 1 and Drill 4 - not the ideal promotion scheme for him ;). My other neighbor is the Doviello, and when I was scouting their territory after talking Mahala into open borders, I found a city that contained about 30 wolf packs. She's been paying maintenance on these fairly worthless units for who knows how long.

Is there a way to remove blockades in the world editor by any chance?

I've seen that once. Not sure why I didn't think to upload a save.

Have the AI Illians ever built Auric Ascended? In my last game they were building the necessary rituals before getting wiped out by the Ljosalfar.

A couple strange things I've seen, though: one of my neighbors is the Luchuirp, and I sighted Barnaxus at turn 185 or so. He had Combat 1 and Drill 4 - not the ideal promotion scheme for him ;).

I do have some changes to the AI promotion code in the next version that should help with that. If it's still an issue, I can hack in something specific for Barnaxus.

Have the AI Illians ever built Auric Ascended? In my last game they were building the necessary rituals before getting wiped out by the Ljosalfar.

They will if given the chance. I've seen it happen a couple of times in my test games.

Does this mod modify any AI lair exploration code?

Only slightly. The only thing I changed was that I banned the AI from exploring any lairs before turn 10. This at least gives them the chance to build a warrior or two. It is one my to-do list for some future revision to improve the way the AI looks for and choose to explore lairs.

it seems like the AIs are definitely better at the economic game than they are without your mod.

Not trying to be critical here, please keep up the good work. But, playing a little further shows the AIs suffering from the standard "too many units, crashed economy" syndrome. I researched Currency, so now I can see that all the AIs are sitting on 0 gold with 0 GPT: usually a tell-tale sign of a crashed economy. I'm playing on a standard-size Highlands map with the standard number of civs. So there's lots of room for expansion, which the AIs seem to have done very competently. They have respectable sized armies (except the Luchuirp, whom I'm wiping out at the moment), but I have a feeling I'm going to be able to out-tech them now.

Only slightly. The only thing I changed was that I banned the AI from exploring any lairs before turn 10. This at least gives them the chance to build a warrior or two. It is one my to-do list for some future revision to improve the way the AI looks for and choose to explore lairs.

Snarko actually moved exploration entirely into the DLL for RifE (makes use of goodies, and a new GoodyClass within one of the global files... Whichever lists artstyles for civs, can't remember the name), and some rudimentary AI code for the new Explore mission; If you'd like, you're more than welcome to use that as a base.

Yes, this is essentially me hoping that you use it, so we can steal the AI. :goodjob:

Not trying to be critical here, please keep up the good work. But, playing a little further shows the AIs suffering from the standard "too many units, crashed economy" syndrome. I researched Currency, so now I can see that all the AIs are sitting on 0 gold with 0 GPT: usually a tell-tale sign of a crashed economy. I'm playing on a standard-size Highlands map with the standard number of civs. So there's lots of room for expansion, which the AIs seem to have done very competently. They have respectable sized armies (except the Luchuirp, whom I'm wiping out at the moment), but I have a feeling I'm going to be able to out-tech them now.

Are you talking about what shows up on the trading screen? I believe that just indicates what they are willing to trade, not their economic capacity. The AI is interested in keeping a gold reserve around, so maybe they are all just keeping tight reigns on the treasury. Or maybe they just don't like you. Let me know how the rest of your game goes.

Top Bottom