No Gold on Rivers and Ocean - I'm stuck -80 GPT - Help!

You know, have you ever thought of what that gold on rivers and water tiles actually represented?

Give it some thought, then you'll understand why they removed it.

I started to almost never use trade routes for gold, so I don't get a wrong idea of my GPT.
Instead I just use routes to boom growth and production.

Works for me, last game I got up to 200gpt without money from routes.

You know, have you ever thought of what that gold on rivers and water tiles actually represented?

Give it some thought, then you'll understand why they removed it.

All early civilizations flourished through small trade on (or just across) rivers, lakes, and sea. I think the gold gotten from these tiles well represent the city's trade based on it's location. What's your point?

I played a similiar game to this last night where I expanded fast and after building the first road realised I could not afford roads . Then limped to currency and had to switch everyone to building markets and with my religion starting to kick in with a tithe things seem to be stable now .

I started to almost never use trade routes for gold, so I don't get a wrong idea of my GPT.
Instead I just use routes to boom growth and production.

Works for me, last game I got up to 200gpt without money from routes.

Same here,i am tired of getting my caravans ambushed and cleaning endless nests of barbarians.Only if i need short boots for something,i use them for trading.

What difficulty was this game?

Honestly, a lot of us here are Civ1 vets. I've had my fill of battleships losing to phalanxes. Civ5 is the best of the series since Civ2.

What difficulty was this game?

Honestly, a lot of us here are Civ1 vets. I've had my fill of battleships losing to phalanxes. Civ5 is the best of the series since Civ2.

Its not problem in difficulty but his way of playing it.He expanded too much,too fast,and beside that he built roads to connect all of his cities that have low pop.He has a lot of units and to add more the to fire not at least one trade road.And what amaze me is that his cities generate so little gold.Also he fell in trap with building cities near ocean and river tiles expecting that it will give him gold like it was with G&K (ocean tiles will yield gold later when you research certain tech).But this all was already said,so no need to repeat everything again.

Spoiler :

All my cites and all but a few CS are religious now. I have also secured several key wonders and have 5 trade routes. The other CIVs are so small and pathetic. If I moved ALL my troops at once I could easily wipe out all 4 remaining capitals early. But that is so boring. I like to see my cities complete with everything possible to build built. Then I choose the winning type I want.

Then with a cocky voice he exclaimed:
And all of you said it could not be done... I'm certain my score would far outweigh yours at the end. Oh that's right - you gave up and quit or razed yourself into mediocre Swedens.

Guess that makes me pretty cool huh?
:king: :cool:

I hope your crow tastes good!:D

I've been following this thread from the start but don't think I've chipped in yet.

Out of interest, what VC are you likely to go for, if any? Also, what difficulty are you playing on? Do you think you'll win (domination VC aside) before the other AIs achieve a VC?

I know that many players, myself included, like to build huge "empires" that dominate the whole map and treat CiV like a city-building game, focusing on building every building possible before thinking about anything else but there is a caveat to that: Take things slow at the start and don't rush into settling/capturing cities and taking over your continent, building too many buildings, units and roads. That is what has crippled your economy. Once your main cities are up and running, trade routes are set up and happiness is in order then it is time to build that dream empire! Don't forget you can still build trade posts and have gold-focused cities to generate plenty of gold if trade routes aren't your thing or are being attacked.

You can still sustain big empires in BNW, you've just got to learn the new game mechanics and realise that things aren't as simple anymore as getting gold from river/coastal tiles.

Think Soviet union vs. Sweden who'd win?

Of course before the USSR could get to Sweden they would first have to deal with Finland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/navalbattles1900today/p/winterwar.htm

and my personal favorite

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html

That said...

You were able to recover, great to hear. However your inefficiency is what led you to the problem in the first place.

Build the cities, build the roads when the RIGHT time comes, but don't build the roads too early and don't build them all willy-nilly. Check and recheck if you can get a road to that city for less total hexes used. Don't be ashamed to redo an area of road later if you see you can save a hex or 2. And lastly don't come hat in hand asking for advice then insult the people who tell you have to fix the issue. It is just bad etiquette.

You were able to recover, great to hear. However your inefficiency is what led you to the problem in the first place.

Build the cities, build the roads when the RIGHT time comes, but don't build the roads too early and don't build them all willy-nilly. Check and recheck if you can get a road to that city for less total hexes used. Don't be ashamed to redo an area of road later if you see you can save a hex or 2. And lastly don't come hat in hand asking for advice then insult the people who tell you have to fix the issue. It is just bad etiquette.
This, especially the bolded part.

I'm currently working on a mod that makes you win on turn 0. It would eliminate all that hard stuff like settling that the developers put in because they hate us and want our cats to die.

Anyone interested?

All early civilizations flourished through small trade on (or just across) rivers, lakes, and sea. I think the gold gotten from these tiles well represent the city's trade based on it's location. What's your point?

I think you answered your own question. (See specifically TRADE).

I'm currently working on a mod that makes you win on turn 0. It would eliminate all that hard stuff like settling that the developers put in because they hate us and want our cats to die.

Anyone interested?

I think you're being a little disrespectful to the divine will of The Developers by modifying their games. After all, their word is sacrosanct, and if you don't like their game you're obviously just whiny and need to adapt to the game they've bequeathed upon us in their benevolence.

See? I can be obnoxious too, but it doesn't make for very good conversation. So can the swarms of people who started posting stuff like this when BNW came out please give it a rest?

I think you're being a little disrespectful to the divine will of The Developers by modifying their games. After all, their word is sacrosanct, and if you don't like their game you're obviously just whiny and need to adapt to the game they've bequeathed upon us in their benevolence.

See? I can be obnoxious too, but it doesn't make for very good conversation. So can the swarms of people who started posting stuff like this when BNW came out please give it a rest?

Nope.

Anyone interested?

Will it really kill cats? I have three that i need to drown in a cooler but I've been slacking as of late... This mod of yours could do the trick!

I don't know why you all even continue to post, as its apparent that the OP is stubborn to the point of manipulating this thread into a flame war for the sake of his own self-inflated ego.

Not to say helping is bad, but when it becomes pointless... Time to move on

All my cites and all but a few CS are religious now. I have also secured several key wonders and have 5 trade routes. The other CIVs are so small and pathetic. If I moved ALL my troops at once I could easily wipe out all 4 remaining capitals early. But that is so boring. I like to see my cities complete with everything possible to build built. Then I choose the winning type I want.

Then with a cocky voice he exclaimed:
And all of you said it could not be done... I'm certain my score would far outweigh yours at the end. Oh that's right - you gave up and quit or razed yourself into mediocre Swedens.

Guess that makes me pretty cool huh?
:king: :cool:

I hope your crow tastes good!:D

Whereas, if you'd taken the advice given, you would have been in a better position, sooner. Believe it or not. And with your attitude, we're starting not to care. Have fun playing your way.

Cheers.

Top Bottom