Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

Thank you for answering. Is it because it cannot be done for Mac or is it because no one have gotten around to do it?

Cannot be done on Mac. Aspyr have hard-linked all the calls to the standard DLL meaning that it will not recognize any changes made to it. Any custom DLL contained in a mod will be ignored and the standard one used instead. This will cause all such mods to fail; BUG is the only exception I know of (because its designers are awesome and care about us Mac folk). We just have the DLL (BULL) related features disabled.

Trust me, if it were possible to hook the Aspyr version to a customised DLL it would have been done by now. There are simply no external hooks available to access an external DLL, because Aspyr have compiled the standard DLLs into the Civ4 executables. The hooks are baked into them.

They even did the same with the fan-developed mods, Rhyes & Fall, and Road to War. Both of these mods have custom DLLs in the Windows implementations, and Aspyr compiled two complete new executables of BtS to integrate them for the Mac versions. You can see those executables if you look inside the Beyond the Sword application package, in the Contents/Resources/ subdirectory.

This will cause all such mods to fail; BUG is the only exception I know of (because its designers are awesome and care about us Mac folk).

While it's true that we are awesome and do care ;) BUG works because all of its features are done in Python which works equally well on Macs. BULL was our foray into DLL modding because some of the interface--specifically hover text--is handled in the DLL.

They even did the same with the fan-developed mods, Rhyes & Fall, and Road to War.

They didn't do this for BULL? :eek: The horror!

They didn't do this for BULL? :eek: The horror!

There is indeed no justice in the world.

Mind you, the only reason RtW and RFC were converted was because they shipped with Beyond the Sword. As far as I know, BULL was created after BTS?

As far as I know, BULL was created after BTS?

Yes, long after. BUG came shortly after BTS 3.03 whereas BULL wasn't until 3.17.

Thanks for the answers. I have no idea what you guys just said :D but I get that it can't be made. It's funny because the only reason I was asking was to get the option of hovering over the whip button, you can see what the hammer overflow will be.

I still get confused when I try and figure it out when I look at the production bar.

I am having an issue getting the BUG mod to work.

I just installed BTS on my Mac. I started a game to see if it would run. It did. I then updated to patch 3.19 and check again. No problem.

Next, I installed the BUG Mod (currently version 4.4) as per the instructions in the sticky. Now, when I start a game, instead of seeing the leader's animation and characteristics, the tech advisor screen shows. When you exit out of this screen, I see my warrior and settler, but there is not interface.

Any advice?

Did you make the patch to BUG 4.4 that AlanH describes? Without it, BUG 4.4 won't run properly on a Mac.

Where did you install BUG, as a mod or in CustomAssets?

I have patched 4.4 as per AlanH's instructions and installed it in CustomAssets, where it runs fine.

Did you make the patch to BUG 4.4 that AlanH describes? Without it, BUG 4.4 won't run properly on a Mac.

Where did you install BUG, as a mod or in CustomAssets?

I have patched 4.4 as per AlanH's instructions and installed it in CustomAssets, where it runs fine.

Which patch are you referring to? I followed the instructions listed on the Mods sticky, but didn't see a mention of a patch.

If you would point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

I expect s.bernbaum is referring to my instructions for version 4.4 in post #172 in this thread.

Ok... so I followed the directions AlanH gives on page 3 and now every time I open a save or a new game it starts in the technology screen which is empty and then when I exit out of it there is no interface and I cannot bring it up...
I am obviously not so happy now so if anyone can help me solve this I would appreciate it...

Ok so there is no folder /Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod
there so I have no clue what to do...

Ok so there is no folder /Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod
there so I have no clue what to do...

You have to create this folder (BUG Mod) yourself. Then you move the files into as specified in the directions. There is no installer to create the folder. If it is missing or you put the contents somewhere else, that would account for the problems you are having with missing screens, etc.

Also, it should not be /Applications/etc. It should be in your Documents folder: /Documents/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod

Mods can go in either one of two Mods folders:

~/Documents/Beyond the Sword/Mods/
or
/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/

Post #172 assumes the first of these locations. Page 3 describes installation into the second one.

Just look for the file /BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py in the BUG Mod folder that you have installed.

You have to create this folder (BUG Mod) yourself. Then you move the files into as specified in the directions. There is no installer to create the folder. If it is missing or you put the contents somewhere else, that would account for the problems you are having with missing screens, etc.

The directions that AlanH gave didn't say anything about creating the folder in the path applications/civilization4/beyond the sword/mods
The directions stated to create the folder in the documents/civilization4/beyond the sword

I have read it several times to ensure there was nothing I am missing, I followed the directions there as they were written.

or

Post #172 assumes the first of these locations. Page 3 describes installation into the second one.

Just look for the file /BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py in the BUG Mod folder that you have installed.

There is absolutely nothing in the documents/beyond the sword/mods/ folder.
There are the mods the game came with and other mods I have installed in the applications path...

or

Also the directions you give on page 3 does not say to put it in the applications path, it clearly says to put it in the documents path, so now I am even more confused. I am just guessing you got it mixed up?

Top Bottom