R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

I am playing the 1936 GEM as Japan. Too bad I cannot rename my units. The other thing I suggest is a Pacific campaign.

One question are the infantry units division size? I know the howitzers are battalion strength. Great mod in any case.

The Polish tanks are not really tanks. Just tractors with tracks and a turret.

They did use a contingent of FT-17s though. WWI tanks, but still used.

Hey Gedemon,
Great mod! Just one thing, are there by chance any videos/let's plays of the mod? I searched around on YouTube and only found one incomplete series and a few montages. Any way you could make one? I really need strategy help as I can't seem to get past Emperor as Germany. I would consider making a let's play but I want to be able to consistently win first.
Thanks,
Aventador

A couple of things to consider for the new version:

1. Altering the rules for Tundra:

There really needs to be a global rule that greatly reduces movements when traversing Tundra. I would suggest that it consume 3 or 4 full move points to move in Tundra, meaning that even with the Woodland bonus for Infantry, they may only move 1 tile. The tundra winter-equipment bonus for armor/mech inf would allow for mobilized units to move 2 tiles, instead of one. Obviously, rules for roads would still super-cede.

What needs to be altered:

Basically everything north of Trodhiem (Norway), Helsinki (Finland, and Leningrad, running along an east-west axis, should be Tundra as the tile-base. Most of it would in turn also be forest or hills, and the marshes could stay marshes.

Basic global rules: Tundra costs 3 movement points. At the moment, i don't think there is any change, but could it be as simple as modifying it the same way desert takes extra move points?

2. Supply routes TO Suez (from India/Australia)

UK - should get regular supplies of units, infantry, armor, and artillery regiments, one every 5-8 turns.

3. What's the deal with Iraq?

UK loses them as an ally, but Germany doesn't gain friend status, and both can just cross through their territory? The last game with Germany i played a southern strategy and tried to invade Russia from the South after heavily moving a ton of units to Africa to roll through - but i couldn't take any of Iraq and Iran was first an ally than it wasn't. I know this is traditional roles for them based on the calender, but at what point do things deviate from the plan?

4. A railway from Vienna to Greece. At the moment, there is barely a road and it runes through Albania. Should there not be railroads that go from Greece to Bulgaria as well? OR even through yugoslavia?

for using the "g_Reinforcement_OOB" function as it's used by deathgod in his 1936 altered map for 1940 -

What more is required? I think i have the brackets correct, and the rest of the mod is functioning. and i adjusted the x,y plot orientations, especially for aircraft, for the respective cities.

But it doesn't appear to be working. Does it have to be listed somewhere else to be 'initialized' or something?

Thanks

Hey Gedemon, I'm loving the mod so far but i'm having a bit of a problem with the US on the North America/Europe 1936 map. Whenever I research a new unit (like the B-17 or P-40) I complete the research but then when I go to see if they are there they do not show up. Also Is there a limit to certain Units because it stopped letting my make Iowa class Ships and M3 Stuarts.
Any help would be appreciated.
-Nila95

I've played the game a little more and I've researched and Unlocked both the P-38 and the M3 Grant. so it seems that its only the P-40 and the B-17 that are glitched so far.

i downloaded the files and the mod and then i got to where in the mod you choose a scenerio a click europe and clicked next then it froze there and the civs 5 arrow turned into a normal computer one and it wouldnt load, what do i do?

Hey Gedemon, I'm loving the mod so far but i'm having a bit of a problem with the US on the North America/Europe 1936 map. Whenever I research a new unit (like the B-17 or P-40) I complete the research but then when I go to see if they are there they do not show up. Also Is there a limit to certain Units because it stopped letting my make Iowa class Ships and M3 Stuarts.
Any help would be appreciated.
-Nila95

Indeed there is a limit for some units, and it's the case for both Iowa class and M3. If you lose an M3, you can produce another one to replace it, but this is not the case for the Iowa class (for historical accuracy).
I started testing a game with the US and I managed to research and then produce B-17 (on version 39), so I don't know where is the problem. Did you try to start another game to see ?

This is a great mod, but i think some key features are being left out. I haven't seen any updates lately and it kinda worries me that the only good WW2 mod in Civ 5 isnt being worked on.

Suggestion 1: Terrain Improvements

This should be a must, forming an infrastructure early on (If you chose 1936 scenarios) will benefit ALOT, and building more of an infrastructure adds on to your dominance in the war.

Suggestion 2: Strategic Bombing

This was in Civ 4, why not civ 5 (or at least in this mod)? If i know that i would not win the frontline war, but just enough to hold them off while i bomb strategic areas that could cripple their infrastructure then finally advance further into their homeland

I can still think of more suggestions but I think these suggestions are better than my other ones

Apologies if any of these have already been posted:

-Option to disable teams/permanent alliance: I'd like if it was possible for example to play as Italy and fight with the Allies rather than the Axis, or when playing as Greece to only be at war with Italy and not Germany/Romania/etc.
-Option to disable mandatory events (e.g. when playing as Germany you automatically declare war on Poland after 3 turns with no option to delay the declaration)
-Return of ability to save/load hotseat games (there are some alt-history games I'd like to be able to play, but they can only be set-up in hotseat mode which isn't really a feasible option if you can't save and load the games).

I agree there should be a version for every map that Does not have locked alliance or forced war.
and also all nations playable!...

it would be nice for freedom and new game play experiences

Can I suggest an end date for operations?

Playing as Britain in the 39 map with a new machine (so got past the Fall of France bug finally, yay!) I've reached 1942 and am beating of hordes off Germans doing Operation Sea Lion - however this has been going on for over a year and he's still spamming units and throwing them into the channel - the downside being repeated a regular crashes as units are embarking with no movement possible and no route back to land (so every single turn I have to use IGE to delete or to teleport the errant unit somewhere else but then next turn it's a different unit causing a problem). Simply put - too many units in too small an area.

It would be great if after the 50th division sunk in the channel the AI gave up on an operation - or even had, say 30 turns to do so before abandoning the operation?

Thoughts welcome.

Figters dogfighting cause too little damage , it is much better to place mobile flak.
Interceptors till 1942 do little damage to bombers , at least increase dmg for heavy int such as Bf110 (they are supposed to be bomber hunters)

In general i would decrease overall unit HP down to 60 or 70 , 75 is too much. Not every city got such health.

German invasion to Russia should be heavily scripted for AI , in v38 i captured Berling in early 1942, playing USSR. lol
European struggle axis vs allies seems to be sceduled and correct , if player do not interfere. Maybe so more little scripts for Norway capturing , as it is difficult for AI cause it's island

Little more defence for Paris , as it falls too fast , generally out of scedule (map 1939-1945), replayed several times , same result. then goes Britain generally eliminated till early 1941- mid 1941

German AI in ver39/38 do not actually use blitz ability for tanks

But!
Overall impression is the best allaround civ mod ever made for ww2. god save ur team )

Gedemon:

This mod is incredibly detailed and fun to play, and I’m amazed at how much you have managed to wring out of vanilla Civ. I want to add suggestions to the long list here.

Caveats: I’ve played only the 1939-1945 map as France, but my only crash was caused by IGE, so none of my issues are technical. My experience otherwise has been similar to others’, in that although France did not completely fall (I held on to Marseilles), I did watch Italy run wild from Libya to Palmyra before I decided to plop dozens of American-British units into London, Gibraltar, Malta, and Suez.

(1) Basically, everyone seems to have run out of steam:

The USSR is slowly moving west after taking Finland, while Italy and Greece trade Skopje back and forth. Otherwise, no AI activity. It’s the summer of ’44 with no end in sight. More military operations clearly would help trigger AI activity.

(2) City population issues:

Accuracy

I’m not sure how population ratings correspond to the real world, but London can’t possibly deserve only a 24 rating, 4 more than Paris. Its population was 8 million PLUS suburbs in 1939. Currently, it’s back up to 8 million in London proper and the metro area contains about 13-18 million people. Paris still has only 2 million (11 million in its metro area, 5 million overall in 1939). It’s hard to judge this, but if we take 1939 London as holding 8-16 million (depending on definitions) and 1939 Paris as holding 2-5 million, then if Paris is rated at 20, London should be either 64 (if Civ cities represent province/regions, which makes sense to me, so I’d use this value) or 80 (if they represent urban cores only).

But that should fix Britain, because every other town in Britain is a hamlet in comparison. Although Birmingham still holds only 1 million, taking Paris as the standard it should be 1/8 of London (64/8), or 8, the current map value. Britain is clearly the sleeping industrial giant of Europe in 1939—and still it doesn’t compare with the United States of 1945!

Impact

Meanwhile, northern Italy has large city populations. This seems to have a direct impact on production, obviously. Although northern Italy industrialized under Mussolini, the south still hasn’t. So one method of cutting Italy down to size (recall, it barely managed to knock over Ethiopia historically) would be to reduce its cities to much lower numbers, especially in the south. (In Sicily, half the working population probably didn’t even contribute to the above-ground economy at all.) Like Germany, Italy built a lot of factories, but it didn’t have a lot of labor.

France seems to be represented accurately, in that none of its cities are too small. France used to be the most populous country in Europe before Germany and Russia upped their birth rates in the 20th century, so despite WW1 there should be a lot of people spread out and few tiny cities, even though Paris had about a quarter of the French population. (Pre-WW1 rule of thumb: Paris x 4=France; France x 4=”continental” Europe, i.e., excluding Russia, Turkey, and Britain.)

(3) Preexisting industrial base:

France was largely rural outside Paris and Marseilles, and this is why it has so little industry. This made it unable to ramp up to meet Germany. So far so good.
The problem is that historically, France was better prepared in May 1940 than any player could be in this game. (Granted, this might depend on what level you’re playing France.) This is because of the inability to raise infantry divisions.

According to Wikipedia, France had several army groups, each containing several infantry divisions, totaling about 50 divisions in the northeast alone. And that’s just the French and it’s just the infantry: there were also Poles, British, Belgians, Moroccans, Africans, etc., not to mention cavalry, mechanized, motorized, and Spahi divisions, which increase that number by dozens. I was able to field only about four or five divisions, primarily because of insufficient time to build barracks and actually raise/buy the divisions. France should have more barracks and better access to infantry, whether through convoys or labor. Otherwise, the map needs to start out with a decent, modern army; infantry alone won’t tempt a smart player to go too deep into Germany.

(4) Weak alliances:

Belgium also fought with a sizeable army by 1940, about a dozen divisions. It even lent a few divisions to the French. The two were allies throughout, not just friends. I think others have noted this problem, which is basically due to the way Civ handles alliances. Clearly alliances need to be carefully chosen; France is more important to Belgium than Britain, even though all were allied, so France needs to be the ally. And so on.

Most of these balance solutions can be handled through the IGE, so I’ll try them.

Hi! I really loved this mod and wanted to play it, but unfortunately I have a bog problem. Looked like all my files were fine, all downloads well downloaded, the space available and Civ5 the latest version. But for some reason I keep getting a pop-up just after i press "Start Game"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 11.53.22.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 11.53.22.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 87
Top Bottom