60 influence for liberating a city state?

Heerlo

Jedi Master Hearlo
So I've been playing a multiplayer LAN game, and I had this city state on my border that was my ally for the longest time. Eventually, I got to where I couldn't hardly keep it my ally anymore.

Well, finally the CS got captured by the Ottomans. So I went to liberate it, thinking this would finally get me to be their ally again. Once I liberate the CS, I get a mere 60 influence, and next turn I'm no longer allies with it. :confused:

If it makes any difference, this game is pretty far Into The Future. I know the amount of influence you get from gold gifts goes down over time. Could it be the same way with liberating a CS? Does the amount of influence for liberating a CS slowly decline?

No. You always get 60 influence for liberating them. If you want to maintain the alliance, you'll need at least 250 gold and pay them right away. This will buy you 15-20 turns of allied status. Yes, I think this could use a tweak since... liberating them should buy you allied status for a long ass time IMO.

Better trick is to use Pledge to Protect and not let them get invaded, while completing their quests. With pledge to protect in effect (and after ~20 turns to allow it to build up your influence to its new base of 20) each quest you finish should pop you into ally status for 15-20 turns. No, it doesn't really make sense that killing off a few barbs gives you more influence than liberating them since liberating them always takes more troops and more effort. It is what it is. You don't go liberating city states to make allies (usually), you liberate city states so you don't have to annex or puppet another city when you're on a conquest spree and struggling to keep your happiness up.

If you bring a city state back from the grave, it should give you *at least a hundred influence*.

I thought it used to give more influence than(albeit probably still not enough), but maybe I was wrong then. :rolleyes:

Finding a new natural wonder gives 40 influence and heaps of city-states give it at the same time. When I found a new wonder I suddenly had about twelve messages telling me that my influence had increased

I definitely agree, it's incredibly weak. Once I liberated a city-state while I was at war with its previous ally. Well, it resumes with its influence apparently intact and immediately declared war on me.

Saving Venice from an Ottoman invasion should certainly be worth more than having you discover Krakatoa (which you probably wouldn't have told them about anyways).

Top Bottom