Problems with the Civ5 business & development model

DLC: I have no real objections to the business model of using DLC, as long as bugfixes and some improvements are provided free of charge (which is what Firaxis has done with Civ V.) Personally, I wouldn't mind if they release new Civs as DLC for Civ VI, though perhaps toning down the number of map-pack DLCs released wouldn't be that bad...

Multiplayer: I love multiplayer, and I feel Firaxis has completely missed the boat on it for Civ V. Not only is it horribly buggy, but where are multiplayer mods and scenarios? Surely they can't be that hard to implement.
However, I do strongly feel that using Steam for multiplayer was a good choice; being able to host and play in multiplayer games without messing around with port forwarding or external servers is great.

Optimization: Actually, surprisingly good; I honestly don't get a lot of the complaining about it. I'm okay with longer turns times in the late game when I'm playing on a Huge map with 22 Civs, because there's no easy way to eliminate that. Additionally, Civ V is one of the few games I can play on my little computer with moderate graphics without horrible lag (unlike, say, EU IV - that still lags even on the lowest graphic settings).

AI: I'm not going to go there. It stinks, but I don't think there's a lot that can be done about it.

I'm sorry but threads like this are why developers are so tone deaf to legitimate complaints gamers can have towards companies. In the scope of the gaming industries I feel that FIRAXIS is by FAR one of the most credible and responsive companies and one of the few that operates with a semblance of integrity.

Just this week WB MONTREAL announced on a forum DEDICATED to customer service and bug issues that it would not do any bug fixes INCLUDING issues like lost saves or,unplayable missions but would instead focus on an expansion. For a BUGGED game!!!!!

When I see actions like that Im thankful to pay good money to FIRAXIS that is much more responsive to issues like that.

How many companies would endure the vitriol of the upending of 1UP so that they could come with a NEW take on a classic game to make it BETTER!!! That's brave of them to do. They could have put a shiny gloss finish on BTS Civ and still printed money. Theyve pushed themselves with every new edition of the game to up the production value, the music score, the visuals, the leader screens so that isnt just another war simulator or turn based strategy with a interactive map but to make immersive world. You HAVE to compliment them on that.

The only aspect I HATE is the DRM aspect of having to prove I own MY GAME!!! But even that's better them the rest of the industry. Must we forget the SIM CITY fiasco in which they claimed a single player game had to remain online at all times for core functions of the game and not because they didn't trust their own consumers and yet they announce that you will be able to play offline soon. These type of things happen all the time in the industry and yet we get angry at Civ for completing their development cycle on a game that, when BNW was released made it not just decent game but a NOTABLE CIV game.

Top Bottom