Making use of the XML Schemas in your XML editor

Padmewan

King
I am blindly stumbling through XML, but I know enough to be dangerous... One thing I've been trying to figure out is how to make use of the XML schemas in my XML editors. I was using the trial version of Oxygen, which just ran out on me (have I really been working on my mod for a month???) and am now using Dreamweaver 8. In either case, I haven't successfully associated a schema with the XML file in question -- any thoughts on whether it's possible and, if so, how to do so?

I'd like to be able to validate the XML, etc., without having to boot up the game each time. Plus, the game doesn't do a great job pinning down errors -- I literally spent 2 hours today tracking down a typo when the error message would leave out critical information like, what, exactly, is wrong (ever get that messge in which the broken tag seems to be named the space character?)

an xml editor that can't use schemas isn't terribly useful for anyone serious about xml, so it's hard for me to imagine an xml editor that doesn't have some way to map the schemas. That said, I don't know about dreamweaver in particular.

surt, do you know if the schema that Civ4 uses is standard? Both Oxygen and Dreamweaver allow the association of DTDs and schema, but both had problems parsing the schemas I fed them.

They did not look for .xml files by default, and while I know that extensions are meaningless, I'm not sure if that also means that Firaxis was using non-standard schema formatting (?)

Looks like the issue is that they left off the xml versioning/source from their schemas. They start in with <Schema when they should have something along the lines of <xml.

My guess is you'll need xmlspy or some microsoft tool to edit these properly.

bah notepad works fine for me and i've made many a mod.

Have to agree with Lord. However, I did use XML Shell for a couple months and it might provide you with the schema coordination you're looking for...

Thanks, surt, I imagined it was something like this. Should have been tipped off by the URN for the XML schema being a microsoft.com location.

Yes, I can go to notepad, but like I said in my first post, one stupid typo you can't track down and you spend hours finding it. Maybe I'm too sloppy or maybe I should be much more incremental in my work.

Top Bottom