Is production still crippled?

Gorey

Prince
I haven't played since the original version came out, so i'm not sure what the game is like after the two expansions.

My question in the title is what annoyed me the most about the release version of Civ5. My general opinion after a few games was that in order for them to make the 1 UPT idea work they went out of their way to cripple production and viable empire size to keep players from being able to field large armies due to the AI and map sizes not being able to properly support them.

Which for me, ruined more aspects of the game than just the military side of things. It seemed like it always took forever to get anything useful done and it became a real bore.

I also wasn't too happy about various tile customization options (Workshops, Watermills, Windmills etc.) being changed to buildings. Seemed to me this was another instance of limiting production to support the 1UPT decision. Those improvements were awesome for fine tuning your city tiles.

Just wondering if it is still like this.. or if i should just stick to Civ4?

Yes, it is completely still like this. Generally you don't build the buildings of an era until you have already reached techs for the next era, or one after. Generally you never build 80% of the units in any era. It's something to get used to in the game or not play. There is a slow research mod somewhere, if you are ok with longer games.

Yes, it is completely still like this. Generally you don't build the buildings of an era until you have already reached techs for the next era, or one after. Generally you never build 80% of the units in any era. It's something to get used to in the game or not play. There is a slow research mod somewhere, if you are ok with longer games.

That slow research mod is called Ironman and it can be found on steam. I personally use it and I'm enjoying it.

Great engineers can build manufactory improvements in tiles. You can get more hammers like this and they work similar to the workshops in bts.

Great engineers can build manufactory improvements in tiles. You can get more hammers like this and they work similar to the workshops in bts.

If you plopped that manufactory on a luxury resource that had a mine on it would that resource still be available?

If you plopped that manufactory on a luxury resource that had a mine on it would that resource still be available?

From what I've seen, Great Person tile improvements don't improve luxuries, so you'll lose the luxury if you place the manufactory on top of it. However, they still improve strategic resources, so you can put them on Iron, Coal, Aluminum, and Uranium mines.

Bummer :(

There were quite a few things i liked about Civ5, and would probably like about the Expansions too. But i just can't force myself to play it. Not after spending years hand crafting uber specialized mega cities in Civ4.

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom