Enemy Dow's me, I take one of his cities, everyone denounces me.

killing troops should also give warmonger penalty, even more so than taking cities, "you killed 10 million soldiers, no problem hitler", "you took a minor CS with almost no population, ok we hate you"

Sometimes you and the ais can do this to other ais that get out of line, too. We once denounced an ai as soon as the ai captured a city. The other ais told me about the good of the denouncement combination.

I DID, have friends. But the people that were not my friends denouced me, then they soon followed with a backstab because that is how the mechanic works. If a lot of people have denounced you for an unjustifiable reason, why not let your friends do it too? :hmm:

I'm starting to give up on making friendships now, why not just avoid it all together I guess, I have had like four friends in one game, seven civilization denouce me for taking one city, then they do it too!

I don't see what I'm doing wrong, how am I warmongering for taking a city that someone DoW'd me on?

It gets even worse, for every time you take a city, the modifer will always usually get worse, starting with, Early concern (1st city take), Potential risk (2nd city take), global prominence (3rd city take), Dark age (fourth city take), even if you take cities from the same AI! And that they DoW you.

And before any questions if he had friends or not, he did have two friends, Siam and Indonesia. But on a large map an entire global denunciation for taking one city is pretty much unheard of. Even if the 'War Monger' penalty is EXTREME or MAJOR.

Imo, they have horribly balanced the warmongering.

Just take a look at the save game below. I've taken out Ghengis Khan, Bismarck and Monty, so it's quite clear I was going for a domination victory. Yet, I'm still friends with Augustus, and Suleiman will quite happily accept a friendship renewal this turn.

And not just because I'm the only one with nukes, but;

• Because I always tried to get the two of them into the wars I was waging, thus we were always fighting a common foe;
  • Because they are natural warmongers, and usually won't dislike or hate fellow warmongers, so always pick your alliances. Kamehameha or Washington will obviously always turn their backs on you, if you go on a killing spree;
  • I spread nasty rumours about the people I was thinking about conquering, using my diplomats, but offered Augustus and Suleiman gifts, favorable deals and other acts of goodwill. You build up a 'relationship' of sorts with the AI, and not until they really like them more than you, will they get all whiney and petulant about your warmongering;
  • I never, ever, razed a city. Because the AI gets uncomfortable if you destroy empires, instead of building them. Only take what you want, and never completely wipe out an AI. Okay, they do it themselves all the time. But that's also what gets them chain denounced and ganged up upon.

There is no such thing as non-malevolent conquest. Not in this world, not in Civ. Warmongering is fun, but without the penalties it would also be incredibly easy.

killing troops should also give warmonger penalty, even more so than taking cities, "you killed 10 million soldiers, no problem hitler", "you took a minor CS with almost no population, ok we hate you"

Excuse me? I'm quite sure most people condemn Hitler for the Holocaust, rather than the wars that were waged to quell his regime.

Attachments

• CFCAskia_0316 AD-1892.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
I agree. I haven't found the warmongering brand to be too difficult to manage. You just have to be more involved internationally. In the beginning before wars start you often get lots of offers of friendship--especially from warmongers that _intend_ to backstab you later. These mean almost nothing because nothing of importance has been done internationally and it doesn't take much to lose these early friendships either.

To get more permanent cliques:

1. Spread your religion to the majority of the cities of non-religious civs and they like you
2. Chain denounce with your friends
3. Be friendly with your friend's friend's and don't ever make DoF's with ppl your current friends don't like...they hate it and will soon dislike you as well unless you have a really strong connection.
4. go to war together
5. don't share too much border

there are others but these are the early things to look for. If you try to be friends with everyone often you get hated by most in the end...they hate the fact that you are friends with their enemies and resent that you won't exclude ppl they don't like...etc. Just play the diplomatic game and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom