Classic 33: Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Classic 33: Pre-Game discussion

I think this game will be quite interesting! Following on from last months' game, this one will again require no downloads, although given the problems experienced by some players (especially Vanilla and Mac players), I will endeavour to provide an updated pediaicons.txt file (seeing as there appear to be so many versions of this floating around that aren't quite 'perfect'!)

Lets kick-off the discussions with the starting map, including the minimap. :)

Looks like a move N for me. There's a river up there, and hopefully less jungle. It looks like hills to the W/NW and W/W, and to the NE/NE. When was the last time a move wasn't obvious from the starting screenshot? It's a shame to leave behind two BG, but the jungle and mountains make this a crappy starting location.

There are only two units, so we aren't expansionist. Err, that's all I can come up with.

We're going to need some serious fog-gazers for this one...

scoutsout said:
We're going to need some serious fog-gazers for this one...

Not really.... ;)
Moving N is IMHO obviously the best option. Then when the worker stands on the mountain, you can decide where you want to go next...

Worker NE may be better, to avoid missing something. Then settler N if nothing shows up.

Here is my usual MS Paint dribbles from what little I can gaze from underneath the fog:

Worker N sounds like a very safe bet on this map. There is no crumbs whatsoever in the whole S SE section of the visual terrain. The only 'if' is wether to move him NE compared to N because of the mountain blocking to the NE NE. The river seem to be branching NE NW from the square N NE. But, as allways. This is my personal opinion of what's hidden under the fog. Not the truth.

Edit: I think I will move the settler NE after having moved the worker N. Just to cover both the western and eastern part of the northern terrain.

Hmm, NE can be more mountains. I think a worker move to the North and the hope for a better land.

Judging from the mini-map, I'd guess there's coast to the E, and probably N. Are we perhaps on a Pan map? Definitely concur with moving Settler N, I'd move the worker W though to get a better overall view.

Neil. :cool:

eldar said:
Judging from the mini-map, I'd guess there's coast to the E, and probably N. Are we perhaps on a Pan map? Definitely concur with moving Settler N, I'd move the worker W though to get a better overall view.

Neil. :cool:

I can't see even the faintest trace of coastline on any part of the picture. The N NW, N W and N E is grassland with a high grade of probability. The 'mountain' in the NE NE can be a hill. If my worker going N spots good terrain to the NW I will have to rethink moving the settler to the NE(the mntn/hill in the NENE will block the workers view in that direction).

The colour looks very much like the celts... Although ainwood has been known to muck about with that before ;)

Yes, the Celts' alternative colour. I'm playing them right now in Conquests. In Conquests they have rather poor starting techs, but a great combination of traits, religious and agricultural, perfect for high difficulty levels. In PTW they are militaristic instead of agricultural.

ainwood said:
I think this game will be quite interesting! Following on from last months' game, this one will again require no downloads

No downloads required so only vanilla civs. Chinese?

Obviously, the river to the north is very tempting. But as Singularity points out, it is impossible to tell whether the river goes NW or NE. I think the best move is to first move the Worker to the NE mountain. Then move the Settler to the north mountain. I say that because the Settler will have more flexibility to move onto more river squares if she goes to the N as opposed to the NE.

The chances appear to be better to the north solely because of the river. Since the Settler is going to move anyway, we might as well use her as a scout. I don't think I would want to move the Worker N. If he sees something good further north then the Settler will have to follow him and will lose the chance to see what is available from the NE mountain.

It looks as if the Settler will be moving at least 2 turns to begin, and possibly more. Cracker always said you should settle at the start position unless there is a compelling reason to move. In the last two games the breadcrumbs have been sprinkled liberally, and create that compelling reason.

Mountains & Jungles... good start place! ;) I think ainwood want Classic players have the same problems as COTM players in choosing starting moves. Well, it pulls up the interest of pregame dicussion. As other I think move worker N. I don't settle on the place especially because it is resource grassland. About civs... may be it's China? :confused:

I'm going to start by moving the settler south, and the worker southwest. I'll settle on the jungle and then start the worker clearing the sw jungle spot. Think of the turns that I'll save settling on the jungle, as I wont have to chop it, and then after the worker completes his 24 turn chop I'll get the bonus of another grassland square, maybe even a bonus grassland!!!. Also my people feel its important to settle close to the mountain, as it reduces the wind effect of an open plan.

Sorry, after the last few COTM/GOTM with less than inviting start positions, I've almost given up hope of looking around for something decent, I used to plan for 13 cities by 1000BC, now I feel that 4 cities is a good round number.

I'm tempted to send the worker NE, and then the settler N, just to be sure that I can see the maximum land before making a decision, but I think its a toss up. If you move the worker north, then you'll probably see good land and send the settler north, meaning that you'll not see what is east.

Looks pretty cut-and-dried already. Minimap shows central location so no possible reason for a jungle expedition.

The civ is a bit of a mystery, though I hope it is not the Celts. They are always behind in sci and the UU comes and goes way too fast.

Is that a river bend to the W? It would be obvious in-game as the W tile will show commerce if there is. Certainly looks like something blue over there. (Disclaimer: I'm on a new monitor I haven't used in Civ at all!)

I would move the Worker NE if there is no W river, then the Settler N if nothing interesting shows up to the E. If the Worker saw no BG (or better) tiles to the N, I might consider moving the Settler S so to use the two BG in the start radius instead though.

If there is a W river, then I would reverse it, Worker N, and if nothing too interesting shows up N, Settler E.

Top Bottom