G-Major 133

shulec

Grrrrr... I AM the force!
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Diplomatic (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Marathon
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Required: No Tribal Villages
  • Civ: Native America
  • Opponents: Must include America (Franklin Roosevelt), America (Lincoln), America (Washington), Aztec (Montezuma), Inca (Huayna Capac), Maya (Pacal)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.003s
  • Date: 25th October to 25th November 2014
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

I'll be having a go at this one for sure!

One City Challenge lends itself to diplomatic games. Inland sea also helps.
Although fingers crossed Monty does not start next door ;)

Does diplomatic victory mean only a UN victory? I'm not sure whether an AP victory is called a religious or a diplomatic victory.

First entry waiting for approval. 720 AD. Can definitely be improved upon.

High seas, max opponents adding cream puffs and Mansa Musa.

Pyramids built 1370 BC by Pacal.

Chariot rush Huayna and Roosevelt. I had relatively early HBR, but decided against a HA war because I had Mansa on one side and I wanted him to feed me techs. I had Liz on the other side, but she was part of a religious block that I ultimately used to get victory.

Built UN in one turn with prechops and GE.

And yes... M a r a t h o n i s s l o w.

In case you didn't notice, dog soldiers can be built without copper.
Thanks yeah, they're great if you don't have Copper but if you do it's a bit of a waste!

Got a good game going this morning before work, had Marble and Ivory as well as Horses nearby. Have Oracled HBR and looking to take out Monty with HAs before transitioning to Elepults.

Didn't have good luck finding the info.

Does 1 pop whip give 90 hammers on marathon?

Going to try this one with a very warlike approach. Thinking protective crossbows and trebs to conquer foes. Will see.

First entry waiting for approval. 720 AD. Can definitely be improved upon.

Holy Moly! Great time shulec! Excluding Inca, this is the fastest diplomatic victory in the tables (above Monarch).
I'm still going to have a try at the OCC version of this, but no way i'll get close to that date :goodjob:

Haven't played marathon is a while, so no idea about the whipping question sorry TK.

also, "cream puffs" lol!

citizen is 90h on Mara. Odd that I even know that since I don't play Mara

Holy Moly! Great time shulec! Excluding Inca, this is the fastest diplomatic victory in the tables (above Monarch).
I'm still going to have a try at the OCC version of this, but no way i'll get close to that date :goodjob:
Thanks. Unfortunately for you, OCC has its greatest strength in quick, where time works against large numbers of units. Marathon strongly enhances play with large armies and numerous wars.

I gave this one two shots. The first one ended quickly when Washington DoW'd me out of nowhere. The second one went almost all the way, but I can't see a way to actually win.

I'm going to call it a moral victory that I built the UN in 1574. I've never come close to that date (of course, Diplo is usually a backup VC for me).

The game was a weird one. I used a HA rush against Washington to expand up to about 8 cities, but I couldn't take his hill cities. From there, I expanded up to 11 cities peacefully. Next, I was going to expand south by taking out Capac. I took one border city, but I stalled out there, so I bribed Cathy to attack him. That's where things started to go the wrong way. With the russians involved, I did take two of HC's cities including his capital, but HC capitulated to Cathy.

About 3/4 of the world became Hindu, and I thought it would be a lovefest. Man, was I wrong. There were a bunch of Hindu-on-Hindu wars and I couldn't hold together a group of civs that actually liked each other. Eventually, Cathy vassalized almost all of them. The only friend I had left was Roosevelt.

The tech pace was probably the weirdest part. Very fast for Emperor. I kept the Astro bulb open, but when I finally got to it my GS only gave me half of Astro. At that point, I fell so far behind the tech pace that I thought I was done for. However, I finished Astro, got a few small trades and then went about 30 turns each on Sci Meth and Physics. Between the free GS and the trading power of Physics, I was all of sudden right back at parity.

I didn't realize until this game that the "You refused to help us during war time" diplo penalty basically stacks infinitely. Check out the image where Cathy has -10 racked up just for that. And I didn't even refuse every time she asked!

There's no way I'm making another attempt at a Marathon game for a long while. I guess I'll have to try the next Gauntlet.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0091.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0091.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 121
Well my submission is in, 1682 AD so about a 1000 years later than Shulec but I got there in the end!! Was annoying as Pacal was friendly to me but he was my opponent, took a couple of shared wars against Monty and Washington to get the votes I needed.

This knocks off SB / Inland Sea and the UN for Emperor EQM so that's good!

Nice Job NZ. One way to avoid this it to build the UN in a city that you can gift away. I gifted the UN to Mansa Musa in my game. He was a bit of a pariah. You have to wait until you are the UN resident.
Interesting point - I guess this works if you are first in pop, then you can effectively choose your opponent??

Almost there. Marathon is crazy long. I am at 400 AD. Currently have 7 vassals, 1 dead AI. Built 1 worker and stole/captured 25+ more. Currently at 16 cities.

My opponent will be Washington who has Pacal as his vassal. My next goal is to cap Pacal. Still have to tech physics, electricity. Have most of scientific method and liberalism. Will lib radio, tech mass media. Have one GE and forests chopped for UN. I don't think I can beat 700 AD, but I am in the wrap up phase.

Hoping to beat the dead line. It will be close.

Top Bottom