How to get help here: Things to include in your post

auldian

King
READ BEFORE POSTING. What you need to include in your technical support forum post so the volunteers here can have a chance to help:

1st: Search. There are many months of accumulated issues and fixes in the CFC forums already. You're possibly the first to have your problem but by now it's not likely. Try a seach for common words that would describe your symptoms. Use the filters on the search page to find threads with at least 2 replies. You can search here every minute. A winning search gets you back to conquering the world and saves wear and tear on the precious forum. :)

2nd: Post a new thread. If you don't find resolution after searching, please start a new message thread with a concise summation of your issue as the title. Subjects such as "Aaaaahhh" or "plz hlp q's" are not concise and will be skimmed over by a lot of people. Do not post to an existing 20 page thread started by another player. You will get a lot more eyes seeing your "my computer reboots" post than if it's the 86th "mine too" in a thread titled "Sound has static".

3rd: All posts requesting technical help should contain:

Description of the Problem: Be as exact as possible. Include things like when and where the problem/issue occurs, any error messages that are given and anything else that will explain the problem better. Be as informative as possible, you can never be too descriptive.

Your game and patch version such as "Civilization IV 1.xx" or "Warlords 1.xx"

System Information: For many issues it's helpful to have system details. The DXDIAG files can provide a wealth of information.
To create your DirectX Diagnostic information:
1) Click on the START menu, select RUN and type in DXDIAG and select OK.
2) When the DirectX Diagnostic tool opens and finishes sorting (blue bar will disappear), click on the "SAVE ALL INFORMATION..." button on the lower right, next to the "EXIT" button.
3) Save the DxDiag.txt to your desktop or other easily found location.
4) Attach it using the Attach Files function in the Additional Options when you post your new thread.​
Additional information from tools like Event Viewer or MSInfo are sometimes useful and may be requested.

4th: Feedback. Sometimes it takes several days for an issue to be resolved. Communication is not as fast here as it is in a face-to-face service call so you may post back and forth while the most likely suggestions are tried. If you resolve it please post with the news! We'll be happy for you and the next fine person that encounters your dilemma will see that there's hope after their successful search. :goodjob:

I'm having trouble with the game Civ 4:Beyond the Sword. I can run the basic Civ IV game on my Laptop while BtS can't even get loaded.Whenever I run btS , screen goes black and nothing happens.I checked my Windows event log it says
"A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Sid Meier's Civilization 4 : Beyond The Sword)" Event ID 9010
"The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application" Event ID 9013
It displays source as Desktop Windows Manager
I always run the game as Admin with all the permissions
My sys. config. is
Win 7 Home Basic SP I 64 Bit
P6200 Dual Core without separate Graphics hardware
2 GB RAM
Compaq Presario CQ42 14 inch Notebook
I can run Civ 4 basic game and also Civ V:Gods & Kings perfectly, hence there are no issues with my drivers or hardware,I have the latest patch 3.19 installed for BtS

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    37.1 KB · Views: 174
Top Bottom