Support Section on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download

Same problem as....well everyone. Have d2d complete bundle version of Civ 4, BtS 3.19 is being the devil. Using vista 64. I purchased the bundle from Gamestop/trymedia.

My question is has anyone been able to obtain the patch from them? Not really quite sure where I would find it for them. Any link/address/input would be much appreciated.

I've tried the manual downloads from here, to no avail. In-game patch, fail. I even tried uninstalling, reinstalling, downloading 3.17 before 3.19, but 3.17 does not recognize BtS as being installed. My headache is almost as painful as my need to play Civ! Thank you for your time.

Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for the bit of confusion, I thought about it after the fact. I have the digital download, from Gamestop/Trymedia that I quickly abbreviated as direct to drive, without thinking of the company.

After posting I thoroughly abused the search function on these forums, as well as trying to dig up Trymedia. Gamestop has nadda, and the log in I have for gamestop does not work with Trymedia, although I do not believe that section will help me either. I guess the next step would be to try calling them, I was just curious to see if others had been able to find the patch, as it appears a very large number of Civ fans have the dd from gamestop. Thanks again for your time/response/greeting.

I rechecked: trymedia at some point seems to have stopped publishing their patch links and require you to contact them - a few posters here then got emails with download links after they did so for the 1.74 patch - so I fear you'll need to contact them or gamestop :sad:

in the game, i checked for update, and it downloaded the 3.19 patch..
then after it downloaded, the game closed. I found the patch in my donloads folder, and ran it. After i clicked next a couple times, and then click install, the program disappears... nothing more... it is either minimizing and i cant see it, or it is closing.. or something not sure..

in the game, i checked for update, and it downloaded the 3.19 patch..
then after it downloaded, the game closed. I found the patch in my donloads folder, and ran it. After i clicked next a couple times, and then click install, the program disappears... nothing more... it is either minimizing and i cant see it, or it is closing.. or something not sure..

Mayhem, I feel your pain, my friend. I purchased Civilization IV ~ The Complete Edition and, for whatever reason, I cannot patch BTS from 3.17 to 3.19. My machine exhibits the same behavior as that which you've described. I'm quickly coming to the realization that we both may be stuck w/ 3.17.

My biggest complaint is that I already pwned Civ4 GOTY Edition before I bought Civ4 Complete, which sucks ginormous jade-colored donkey balls! :mad:

Okay, so for those of you who've successfully patched their BTS to 3.19, what am I being deprived of, in essence? Is 3.19 markedly improved over 3.17, or should I simply search for my bottle of industrial-strength chill pills and unceremoniously STFU? :D

On the bright side, regarding Colonization (which I have yet to experience), its in-game auto-patch function worked beautifully, so it would appear as though the BTS 3.17 --> 3.19 anomaly is a function of BTS & Warlords being bundled w/ Civ4.

Again, I'd've been miles ahead by purchasing each expansion pack in sequence. You'll have to forgive my ignorance; I've only been playing Civ4 for less than a year, unlike some of the veterans here who've cut their teeth on the original, and have obviously been around the block a time or two.

On the bright side, regarding Colonization (which I have yet to experience), its in-game auto-patch function worked beautifully, so it would appear as though the BTS 3.17 --> 3.19 anomaly is a function of BTS & Warlords being bundled w/ Civ4.

Again, I'd've been miles ahead by purchasing each expansion pack in sequence. You'll have to forgive my ignorance; I've only been playing Civ4 for less than a year, unlike some of the veterans here who've cut their teeth on the original, and have obviously been around the block a time or two.
its not a function of the bundle - mine updated just fine - did you try downloading the path from the downloads database here and installing it from outside the game?

Hi, Ori. I believe I secured the manual patch from Firaxis, thinking that it would suffice. I've attempted to patch numerous times, with no success. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but that hasn't worked. Please note that I already had GoTY installed before Complete, so maybe there was some conflict in the registry. In fact, I had to edit the registry in order to uninstall the GoTY version.

I apologize for being such a n00b, but if you could somehow help me patch to 3.19, I promise to vote for your Civ in the next UN Diplomatic Victory election. :goodjob:

while there *should* not be a conflict between the versions (since they use different registry keys) there still might be of course.

this is vista and the european complete version (i.e. without colonization) I guess?
the reason I asked for the manual download (the one from firaxis if it was 3.19 would be the same) is that the ingame updater is not working correctly.

Maybe there's some InstallShield problem afoot. It's just really frustrating. I even went so far as to create a new Windows user w/ Admin rights, thinking it may be a UAC problem. Still, no dice.

Perhaps I need to remove every last trace of Civ from my drive, do a scandisk & defrag, cross my fingers, and go for a completely fresh install. Not sure what else to do.

Maybe the 3.19 installer and Windows7 just refuse to play nice w/ one another. Is anyone else here running W7RC and BTS 3.19 via Complete without a hitch?

Mayhem, I feel your pain, my friend. I purchased Civilization IV ~ The Complete Edition and, for whatever reason, I cannot patch BTS from 3.17 to 3.19. My machine exhibits the same behavior as that which you've described. I'm quickly coming to the realization that we both may be stuck w/ 3.17.

My biggest complaint is that I already pwned Civ4 GOTY Edition before I bought Civ4 Complete, which sucks ginormous jade-colored donkey balls! :mad:

Okay, so for those of you who've successfully patched their BTS to 3.19, what am I being deprived of, in essence? Is 3.19 markedly improved over 3.17, or should I simply search for my bottle of industrial-strength chill pills and unceremoniously STFU? :D

I have had in-game updating problems on all versions of Civ IV. I downloaded 3.19 from the forums and it installed without a hitch on my Civ IV complete edition on Win7 Ult. x64.

If you are worried of conflicts with a previous version, you may try running CCleaner to clean out the registry of dead links. It has worked great for me over the years.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

-=Mark=-

A little late response, but what the hey...I had the installer disappear when I was installing the modules from Civ 4 complete under Vista (purchased from Direct2Drive). The fix was to ensure that you run the setup program as Administrator. Right click on the setup and choose "Run as Administrator". IIRC I actually had to login as administrator to install BTS, not just Run as Administrator.

'Support Section on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download
Patch v1.09 is released. It includes fixes for lots of issues including the Radeon graphics card problem. You can download it from
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/patch/

Support Section on the Official Civ4 Site:

http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support.htm'

Your link to the supposed solution - as above - is not working. The solutions proposed by 2k are unsupported links. Can you please provide a working solution.
When playing the game after 10-15 minutes the screen goes black. I can hear the sounds but am required to reboot. Only just bought this game and this is what happens!

Medieval Total War 2 works absolutely fine as do several other on-line games.

Help!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.

I just dusted off my CIV 4 CD I've had for 5 years and installed it on my new laptop (win7) and it worked fine until I tried to play a multiplayer game and was told my version was too old. Discovered I'm on build 109.

I donwloaded patch 174 which said my version was too old to patch, uninstall it first, which I did.

Now the patch says it can't load because there is no prior version of CIV 4 installed.

So I'm guessing I need to install some intermediate patches first? Is there an upgrade path for me to 174?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormm View Post
Hi,
New to all this and a returning Civ fan after ermmm.... several long years. Bought Civ IV Complete. Each version either vanilla or either of the expansions play fine but the screen goes 'black' and locks requiring reboot. The game sounds like it is still functioning as I can hear in-game sounds etc.
Ati Radeon card - updated drivers - again like above - but this question seems to have been raised several times with no posted solution.
Even changed the 'vsync' from 0 to 1 which actually lengthened the time playing before crash. But the problem remains. Have 'tinkered' with Catalyst settings to no avail finally resetting defaults.
I confess that I dont know how to post 'dxdiag' results but having used it initially and updated drivers accordingly - the problem remains.
The 'ATi' specific patches referred to on this site and on 2k Forums' are not available for download (why?). However I have accessed and installed via the game the latest BTS specific patch. And this version is now the game I am playing unsuccessfully.
I know you guys have largely moved to Civ 5 and there is no specific support for Civ 4 Complete - but any chance of some help please from a desperate chap in Cornwall (UK)?

Just a thought - could this issue be linked to Refresh Rates? Having read other posts and playing with the setting myself - I wonder? My own 'tinkering' hasn't resolved the problem unfortunately - but just a thought to perhaps focus any search.
Solution:
For me it was eventually quite simple. The Device Manager pointed to an error with my TV Card. I believe it said 'low resources' or something and the windows error pages all referred to video cards. The issue was a conflict. In my case I didn't use the TV Card anyway so I removed it. I also downloaded, installed, paid for and ran 'Driver Navigator' - after much deliberation - and updated absolutely every driver it flagged. Many of these were not things I had even considered - but then I am a novice.
Outcome:
Game works superbly! Running on absolutely maximum graphics - in-game - and on maximum resolution. A very happy bunny!

Top Bottom