Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

The game works. The problem is it won't let me play mods I download and it's pretty annoying.

You'll need to change the permissions on the Civ4 install folder to all users. If you don't know how to do that re-install as per my procedure.

When I try to launch Civ4, a box appears labeled ActiveMark technologies stating that an internet connection is required. Whether I click "Already Connected" or "Connect", I get the same result: "Error connecting to the internet".
There is no problem with my browser, my connection is fine for everything but this game.
I am running an HP model p6710f with Windows 7 64 bit. Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200.

I don't remember where I bought this, probably from the now-defunct Direct2Drive, and it is not appearing in my list of Gamefly games, and Gamefly support is practically nonexistent.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p6710f
BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/18/11 07:40:53 Ver: 6.05
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3840MB RAM
Page File: 2438MB used, 7156MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

Ok so I just now discovered this...a month after I installed Civ4 on my Win7 machine. I have noticed some issues when playing mods...could the "extra security" mentioned in the first post if you don't put it under C:\Games be the cause of these problems? If so, should I copy/paste the Civ4 files into C:\Games, uninstall the game and reinstall it, or just leave it?

Uninstall and then reinstall. Then reinstall your mods.

When I try to uninstall BtS from the Control Panel Uninstall/Change programs menu, it says that it couldn't detect it and that it may have been removed already. When I try to uninstall Warlords or vanilla Civ4, nothing happens. Can I just delete all the files under the program files, or is there some way to get this to work?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found others reccommending Revo Uninstaller, and so I was able to use that to uninstall BtS, Warlords, and vanilla Civ4.

I did all steps except *6: Ensure all your Graphic Drivers are up to date.
Select your driver by clicking on the appropriate logo below

and still not working

Uninstall and reinstall again.

Maybe use ccleaner to clear out your registry settings as well.

I was having the same general problems installing as everyone else...till I put the disc in the CD drive instead of my DVD drive. Installed on the first try! :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the information, was having trouble getting 3.19 patch to work on Windows 8.

Specifically the right click and opening civ 4 as administrator.

Hi,

DVD setup fails on Win 8 64 bits pro. It is a clean new computer :

I run setup.exe as administrator and :

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp(391)
pAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$11.0.0.28844
@Windows (9200) IE 10.0.9200.16442

the last line change if I use XP SP3 Compatibility mode :

@Windows XP Service Pack (3) (2600) IE 10.0.0.9200.16442

Then second message :

InstallShield Wizard
Setup has experienced an error.
Please do the following:
- Close any running programs
- Empty your temporary folder
- Check you Internet connection (Internet-based Setups)
Then try to run the Setup again.
Error code: -5001

Top Bottom