(Next War) From Sea To Shining Sea

i can be a settler i want to be remembered as founding a city civs declare wars for

Hmm... if it's not too late, I kinda like the above idea... but I want to be a city. :D

ANOTHER DEAD THREAD? no, not again, OP... I WILL FIND YOU:aargh:

Sorry for the long wait. RL has been a real pain.

I do have one question for veteran LP readers: what is the convention for writing unit types (warrior, galley)? Are they normally capitalized or in lowercase? I've gone with lowercase here. Which would you prefer.

Oh, and any ships that are unnamed by the next post will be named by me. For those who want a unit named after them, I will mostly be training workers, settlers, archers, work boats, and galleys for the forseeable future. Cavalry are impossible. Siege units and counter-cavalry are extremely unlikely. Melee units will be rare if I build any.

Spoiler :

As suggested by Tambien, the first galley has been dubbed the USS Sea Queen.

Spoiler :

We have established a road to New Orleans. I choose to build a farm here.

Spoiler :

The ability to write things down was a monumental step forward for the Americans. Previously, all knowledge was stored in human minds, and lost when they died. Now, it could be written down and preserved for future generations. Not long after the development of writing in 2290 BC, the Americans began to construct Libraries to preserve this knowledge.
Writing also had benefits in the areas of diplomacy. A written agreement was proof that both sides had agreed on the same thing, and could not change what they said later.

I have developed writing. This is one of the more critical early technologies. It allows the construction of libraries – the first research building – and Open Borders agreements.

Spoiler :

A second galley has been built. I will continue to take suggestions for names. I start work on a library.
Unlike the Sea Queen, this galley will be reserved for coastal defense.

Spoiler :

In 2270 BC, first contact was made with the third civilization of the Americas – the Inca. Though physically distant, the Americans and Incas would eventually establish strong cultural ties.

I’ve met the Inca.

Spoiler :

I also decide to negotiate an Open Borders agreement with the Aztecs. They accept. Now I can pass through their territory.

Spoiler :

New York has finished its granary. I start work on a barracks, to train garrison troops for my nation.

Spoiler :

Archery was a true game-changer for the American military. Until now, the longest-ranged weapon in their arsenal was the atl-atl, or spear-thrower. But in 2160 BC, we see evidence of fletching, and the few written accounts from this era speak of American archers raining pointy death on animals and barbarians alike.

I have developed archery. This allows me to train archer units, which are excellent garrison troops.
For my next tech, I choose Bronze Working.

Spoiler :

While surveying the map, I notice a tribal settlement on Cuba. As I have a spare galley, I order it to pick up Merriweather Lewis (currently in the Aztec Empire) and head there.

Spoiler :

My gamble has failed – Stonehenge has been built somewhere else. However, I get a sizeable deposit in my treasury. I order New Orleans to work on a work boat.

Spoiler :

It seems New York is facing a food shortage. Normally, I would pay to have the grain replaced, but as my treasury is not growing, I decide to take the loss. Besides, with its current unhappiness, New York wouldn’t benefit from an increased population.

Spoiler :

The village provided Lewis with some experience. Nothing to write home about.

Spoiler :

The discovery of Bronze Working put an end to what remained of the Stone Age in America. Bronze tools transformed all walks of life, from farming to crafting to mining to warfare.
I have discovered Bronze Working. I can now see copper, train axemen, and cut down forests.

Spoiler :

I have constructed a barracks in New York. I waste no time in training an archer, as unrest is becoming a serious problem.

Spoiler :

I originally planned to have hoplitejoe build a third farm, but seeing that marble, I decide to establish a road there ASAP, so I can start mining it.

Spoiler :

Buddhism has been founded in a distant land, presumably the Old World. I also sign an Open Borders agreement with the Inca.

Spoiler :

Most early American structures were built from wood. Indeed, the abundance of wood in America makes it a common building material to this day. However, masonry allowed for the construction of sturdy stone structures. While more difficult to build, stone structures are tougher, and do not burn. The earliest examples of American stone structures, such as walls and reinforced granaries, date to 1810 BC.

Masonry allows me to build walls and quarries. For my next technology, I choose Polytheism, as I am sorely lacking in culture.
Veteran Civ 4 players will note that I have not researched Animal Husbandry. The reason is that there are no pigs, sheep, or cows in the Americas, so I will gain no benefit from this technology.

Spoiler :

In 1810, Taoism spread to American lands. The American government quickly embraced the faith of their southern neighbors, proclaiming Taoism as the official religion of the United States. There was some civil strife, with most of the resistance coming from the traditional pagans and the Cult of William Clark. In the end, the Tao prevailed.

Taoism has spread to my lands. I quickly adopt it as my national religion. This will
produce one turn of anarchy, but will improve happiness in all cities containing Taoists.

I'm over the limit for pictures in this post, so I'm splitting it in two.

Part 2 ahoy!

Spoiler :

While explorers such as William Clark and warships like the Sea Queen had always existed within a military structure, the first organized American military unit was founded in New York in 1790, consisting of archers under the command of Yoshiegg737. This is often taken as the birth of the organized US military.

I have trained my first archer. Its task will be to defend New York. I train a second archer, this one intended for Boston.

Spoiler :

In 1790, word reached America that the Incas had developed a new religion, called Buddhism. While similar to Taoism in its de-emphasis on the material world, Buddhism focused on meditation and breaking the cycle of reincarnation. In time, Buddhism also spread north to America.

I am surprised to note that Buddhism was apparently founded by the Incas. We now have two religions in the New World.
As for the archer, I have named it Yoshiegg737, and I give it the City Guard I promotion.

Spoiler :

Also, I should mention that I will probably not be building siege units at any point. I’m not an aggressive player, so I’d rather build defensive units, or at least units that could be used for both offense and defense. Omega124, unless you say otherwise, I will keep your name in reserve for the first unit that is not defensive in nature. This could be anything from an axeman to a tank.

Spoiler :

I see that hoplitejoe has completed the road. I have him begin work on a quarry, so we can use that marble.

Spoiler :

I have completed a second archer. I will name him Red Spy, and send him to defend Boston. I start work a third archer, to defend New Orleans.

Spoiler :

Further south, I notice a strange sight – an animal within a National Border! This is normally impossible. Presumably, the lion was there before Tiwanaku was founded, and got trapped. I order Clark to go kill it.

Spoiler :

It seems that Lewis is no less a badass than his buddy Clark! He has killed TWO lions!

Spoiler :

Clark defeats the lion I sicced him on, though not without a few injuries.

Spoiler :

I have completed my third archer, Civ’ed. I send him to New Orleans, and begin work on a library. After this, I may look to build another city. Also, Boston completes its library, and begins work on a work boat. New Orleans has completed a work boat, and turns to build a granary.

Spoiler :

American polytheism tended to take the form of hero-worship. Figures from the rich American folklore were elevated to divine status. As is common in polytheistic belief systems, people often chose a personal deity. Soldiers, for instance, usually belonged to the cult of the war-god William Clark. Smiths and artisans might pray to Henry Ford to strengthen their crafts, while farmers followed the teachings of Squanto. Women looked to Oprah for wisdom. And no home was complete without a shrine to Martha Stewart. The Americans did not practice ritual sacrifice. They believed that the gods relied on devotion alone to maintain their power.

If you are an American, and you did not laugh or at least smile at the above paragraph, please get the hell out of my thread. Non-Americans may be forgiven for their ignorance.
I have researched Polytheism. I next research Priesthood, which not only has a short research time, but grants temples and the Oracle wonder.

Spoiler :

The news of Merriweather Lewis’ death shocked the nation. He had been there almost since the beginning. He had fought off lions. But even a hero can be killed. Lewis is remembered for the vast lands that he charted, and was swiftly granted divine status as the patron of explorers.

Merriweather Lewis has been killed by a barbarian warrior. He will be mourned.

Spoiler :

As the American religion grew more complex, the need arose for priests. While priests in some cultures were kept apart from the populace, American priests took a much more active role, instructing their followers in how to live their lives according to the will of the gods. The defining belief of American priests is to lead by example, which meant living in the world rather than avoiding it. Many became community leaders, particularly in smaller settlements.

I have researched Priesthood. I choose Meditation next. I also order New York to switch from building a library to building the Oracle. This lovely wonder grants you one free technology of your choice. Its construction is also accelerated by having access to marble, so I will be able to finish it in 21 turns.

Spoiler :

Boston has completed its work boat. I begin work on a settler. Normally, I wait to have a garrison unit ready, and I prefer to build my soldiers in cities with barracks. However, it will take 34 turns for Boston to produce its settler. New York will have time to both finish the Oracle and train an archer. I might also want to get a third worker.

Spoiler :

American meditation has its roots in Buddhism. While it was some time before Buddhism itself became widely practiced in America, meditation caught on around 1450 BC. Some Taoists used it in their religion, seeking to rid themselves of mortal influences. Others simply used it to focus their minds and prepare for the day ahead of them.

I have now researched Meditation. This allows me to build monasteries, which can train missionaries. I choose to next research Mathematics, as there are several structures it makes available. It also increases the bonus for cutting down a forest.

Spoiler :

Criminals have set fire to a forest. I choose to replant it, as forests are great for producing hammers. The criminals themselves will be burnt to death, of course.

Spoiler :

William Clark has defeated a barbarian, possibly the same one which killed Lewis. Taoism has spread to Boston. But more importantly, New York has completed the Oracle, and I get a free technology! I choose Metal Casting, mostly because it has the longest research time, so by getting it free I save more time than I would with any of the other techs.

Spoiler :

The Oracle of New York a woman – an oracle – said to have a direct line of contact to Oprah herself. She was kept within a great temple, secluded from the world. Believers would come to ask questions of Oprah, often seeking to learn the future. American folklore is replete with stories about her predictions, all with the same morale: you can’t beat the Oracle.

Spoiler :

Developed by Fordist smiths, Metal Casting allowed for much more efficient production of metal objects. While only a skilled blacksmith could forge an item using a hammer, little training was needed to use a clay mold. It soon became the standard way to produce utilitarian items such as weapons and tools.
Metal Casting allows many things – triremes, forges, workshops, and the Colossus wonder.

Spoiler :

I notice a barbarian warrior to the north. In response, I have New York train another archer. I also notice that I have completed exploring South America. I therefore order William Clark to return home.

Spoiler :

I train a settler. As requested, he will be named inhotep. I send him to found a new city.

Spoiler :

America’s fourth city, Chicago was founded in 1260 BC, under the rule of its wise mayor, inhotep. Though younger than New York or Boston, Chicago would one day grow to be a great and powerful city.
I have founded Chicago.

Spoiler :

I train my fourth archer in New York. His name? Tambien. His quest? Defend the city of Chicago? His favorite color? I don’t know AAARGH!

And on that note, I'll end this section here.

BEING A WORKER FTW
As for the naming thing i have no idea :D

Welcome to our (me, hoplite, red, Yoshi and Southern) little nation of awesome!

awesome it is...... but insanity comes closer at certain times :p

If you are an American, and you did not laugh or at least smile at the above paragraph, please get the hell out of my thread. Non-Americans may be forgiven for their ignorance.

I, as a non-american, had to laugh :lol:

Nice story btw, hopefully we don't have to wait so long for the next update ;)

Like mayor, I laughed, and I'm not American :p

Good to see this come back :goodjob:.

And can you rename Boston to Olafville by any chance? :D

Spoiler :

The importance of mathematics cannot be understated. Math has untold applications, from science and engineering to commerce and civics.
I have discovered Mathematics. This allows me to build aqueducts and the Hanging Gardens wonder. It also increases the bonus from cutting down forests. I choose Iron Working as my next technology.

Spoiler :

I have trained a new Worker, General Olaf. I send him to farm the corn near Chicago.

Spoiler :

Having finished his farm, I send SouthernKing to mine the forested hills near New York.

Spoiler :

With the founding of Teotihuacan in 1050 BC, the Americans and Aztecs now shared a common border. This brought the two civilizations even closer together. It also proved to be a source for conflict.
The Aztecs have now established the city of Teotihuacan near me. This may cause some conflict. To protect my borders, I will make New Orleans a city of great culture. Do you think they’re up to the challenge?

Spoiler :

Mining is a perilous task. History records a terrible collapse in 970 BC near Boston, killing hundreds of miners. In response to this, the American government appointed federal mine inspectors, in the hopes of preventing future disasters. These early inspectors eventually formed the modern Department of Labor.
A mining disaster hits near Boston. This is one of the most common random events, and there is no solution apart from not mining. I pay to keep the mine open.
Also, there are now Buddhists in Chicago.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

While bronze is an easy metal to craft, it is not that strong, not to mention expensive. The discovery of Iron Working in 940 BC allowed Americans to forge stronger tools and weapons. Iron, and its alloy steel, is still widely used today.
I have developed Iron Working. I can train swordsmen. I also see that SouthernKing happens to be mining atop an iron deposit! Yay!

Spoiler :

Having finished my forge in New York, I choose to train a swordsman, while Clark gets upgraded to axeman. I also drop my science budget to 70%, in order to refill my rather depleted treasury.

Spoiler :

Montezuma has built the Dao Miao, one of the seven religion-specific wonders.

Spoiler :

I send Clark north, to hunt down the barbarians I have spotted there. And I dispatch my new swordsman, Omega124, to aid him.
Spoiler :

While I’m at it, I name the second galley the USS Inevitable.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Clark engages a barbarian warrior in battle!
Spoiler :

And he is victorious!

Spoiler :

Monotheism, or the worship of one god, emerged in America around 810 BC. Monotheists held that the American hero-gods were merely heroes, though perhaps touched by a higher power. They believed in a single deity, the Great Spirit or Creator. Monotheists would make devotion to the Great Spirit the focus of their lives, and they promoted more moralistic belief systems.
I have discovered Monotheism, which allows the Organized Religion Civic, although I will not take it as I can’t afford the upkeep. I choose to next research the Alphabet.

Spoiler :

Buddhism has spread to New York. I switch from building an aqueduct to a Buddhist temple.

At this point, I consider my long-term goals. My goal is to eventually occupy the RL US and Canada. Having already explored the continent, I plot out my future cities:
Spoiler :

Denver
Spoiler :

Cheyenne
Spoiler :

Seattle

In order to curtail Aztec expansion, I intend to found these cities as soon as possible. I therefore will train archers to occupy those lands, and establish roads ahead of my settlers.

Spoiler :

The eruption of the Blue Ridge Mountains in 640 BC devastated the area around it. Nonetheless, the American people rebuilt, as they would many more times.
Aw, crap. I just lost an iron mine, a farm, and a marble quarry. Oh, well.

Spoiler :

A barbarian warrior has been spotted near Chicago, and both Clark and Omega124 are up in Quebec. The tricky part is that there are two targets in range – the city itself and the worker. I have the worker return to Chicago. Omega124 will cross overland, while I send Clark via the Sea Queen.

Spoiler :

I make a good gamble – I send Tambien out to attack the warrior. If he wins, then the threat is over, and I preserve my farms. If he dies, I lose Chicago. Good thing the odds are 96.9% in my favor!
Spoiler :

Though peace reigned with her Aztec neighbors, the Americans had to contend with barbarian attacks. The first attack to threaten a city occurred in 530 BC, where archers under Captain Tambien fended off barbarian warriors near Chicago.

Spoiler :

While America had developed writing centuries ago, the complex ideographical system was hard to learn, limiting writing to scribes. The development of the American alphabet by the scholar Sequoyah in 500 BC changed this. While it would be many centuries before near-universal literacy, anyone with money for lessons could learn to read and write.
I have developed the Alphabet. This allows me to trade technologies with other civilizations. I choose to research Monarchy next.
Also, a bit of RL historical background. Sequoyah was a Native American of the Cherokee tribe who developed an alphabet for the Cherokee language. To my knowledge, it is the only non-ideographical alphabet originating in the Americas.

Spoiler :

I have trained another archer. I name him Zarathustra, in honor of the music I am currently listening to. I send him west, to hold the area that will become Denver.

Spoiler :

And another archer is trained – New York is producing them quickly. This one is Terrance888. Incidentally, that means that everyone in the thread has a unit named after them. I will begin applying my own names, perhaps using my music as further inspiration. My plan is to use New York to train the archers, workers, and settlers for the new Western cities, then build the Hanging Gardens. Terrance888, meanwhile, is sent to take what will become Seattle.
A third archer is also built. This one will be named Noddinagushpa, after the particular track I am listening to, or was five minutes ago. A cookie to whoever can name its source. Now to get a settler out there.

Spoiler :

It has come to my attention that not all of Baffin Island and Greenland are visible to me, and both can be reached by Galley. So I send Clark out to investigate.

Spoiler :

In 430 BC, Nicholas Brown of the prestigious Brown family discovered a cache of ancient writings in the hills outside the city. He opted to donate them to the Boston Library, where the new Brown Wing was established to house them. These writings served to greatly enhance our understanding of early American life, as the writings dated to around 2000 BC.
I decided to go with the second option, as that 1 extra research will add up over time.

Spoiler :

Another raid! Omega124, attack!
Spoiler :

And he’s victorious!

Well, I’m at 30 pictures, so I’ll end this chapter here. Please recommend this LP to your friends, and suggest names for future workers and archers.

I apologize to mayor – I hadn’t seen your post yet when I named my Archers. The next Archer or Worker will be yours.

Spoiler :

A barbarian Axeman! Unfortunately, he is too tough for Omega124. Damn that +50% bonus vs. melee units! My best hope is to let him head for Chicago, get Clark over here ASAP, and hope he goes straight for the Archer-defended city rather than pillaging the farmlands.

Spoiler :

And he attacks Omega124 instead of Chicago! Fortunately, Omega124 stayed on the other side of the Mississippi, and thus emerged victorious!

Spoiler :

Born in 132 BC, Rabbi Akiva was a Buddhist teacher of great wisdom and wit. He traveled the land, spreading his teachings, embedding himself forever in the American cultural lexicon. But he is best known for introducing the faith of Judaism to the land.

My first Great Person – a Great Prophet. I decide to keep him around for a few turns – I will use him to research Theology and get a new religion, but new religions often end up starting in your newest town, and having it in Denver would be a major boost to the city’s growth.

Spoiler :

In an effort to halt these barbarian attacks, I send both Clark and Omega124 north to find their city, if it exists, and destroy it.

I have my Settler. I name him Rocky and send him to found Denver.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I spot the spearman who has eluded me thus far. I order both of my infantry to the Rockies, in order to slay him – assuming one of the Archers doesn’t get him first.
Spoiler :

And one did.

Spoiler :

For most of its history, the Americans had been ruled by autocrats, with the informal understanding that power generally passed from father to son. It was only in 270 BC that the system of hereditary rule was finally codified and put into practice.
I have developed Monarchy, granting me the Hereditary Rule civic. I choose to adopt it, as it grants me extra happiness for garrisoning troops in cities. I choose to next research Construction.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The city of Denver was founded on the edge of the Rocky Mountains in 270 BC. It is famed as the place where Rabbi Akiva first spread the new faith of Judaism, and is Judaism’s holy city.
Spoiler :

Judaism is an ardently monotheistic faith, in contrast to Buddhism and Taoism, its contemporaries. Judaism preaches obedience to the one god, Yahweh. It is a very scholarly and legalistic religion, with its own legal code. Jewish clergy, known as rabbis, are primarily experts on this code. Judaism is very pro-literacy, and by the means of establishing free schools to teach children, spread rapidly throughout America.
Spoiler :

Theology is the academic study of religion. While theology in some form has existed for millennia, theology as we know it originates with Judaism, which took a much more scientific approach to understanding religion than Buddhism and Taoism.
I have not only founded Denver, but the religion of Judaism. It is rather fitting that Rabbi Akiva be the prophet to do so, given that he was a Jewish scholar in real life. I intend to spread Judaism rapidly, as there are many advantages to being the founder of your national religion.

And if you are wondering, I am Jewish IRL. I didn’t pick it at random, you know.

Spoiler :

An odd incident occurred in 240 BC at the wedding of the American noble William Rockefeller to Telacta of the Aztecs, when Rockefeller left his bride at the altar, causing a great stir in both nations and a drop in relations between New York and Tenochtitlan.
Yay. Wedding drama.

Also, I seem to have inexplicably made contact with Egypt. No idea how.

Spoiler :

I spot two barbarian units – an Archer and a Warrior. I deploy my troops accordingly. Omega124 kills the Archer.
Spoiler :

But the Warrior evades William Clark, headed to Chicago, which I may need to rename Barbarian Magnet.

Spoiler :

I train a new Worker, and name him mayor. I send him out to continue building the road to Seattle – which I’ve just realized is I-90. I also order Tambien to take out the Warrior. Which he does.

Spoiler :

Huayna Capac wants me to give him Monarchy. As he’s astoundingly far behind me, I consent.

Spoiler :

Oh, I’ve got another project I haven’t mentioned – having SouthernKing and hoplitejoe mine the hills near Boston.

Spoiler :

Omega124 runs into another Axeman. Fortunately, he wins again.

Spoiler :

Ah, a quest. Unfortunately, I was planning to change the state religion to Judaism once I had spread it to other cities. So I won’t even try.

Spoiler :

I have my new Settler, with which I will found Cheyenne. I name him Hammond. A cookie to whoever gets the reference.

Spoiler :

I train a new Worker. I skim through my music, coming across “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You”, so I name him Donny Osmond.

Spoiler :

I found the city of Cheyenne, and build a Library there – I need culture to expand the city, and Monuments don’t do anything more for me. Cheyenne won’t be getting very big, but it has access to a lot of nice resources.

Spoiler :

Another barbarian. I don’t even bother to divert an infantry unit. I just watch in case he goes after a Worker.

Spoiler :

Buildings practically define civilization. However, advanced construction techniques were not developed for some time. Things like columns and arches made truly impressive feats of engineering practical.
I have Construction. I can now cross rivers with roads, and I can build Colosseums. I choose Feudalism as my next technology.

Spoiler :

I forgot to have Tambien kill the Warrior, and now my corn farm has been destroyed! Oh, well. I rectify the error.

Spoiler :

An Archer threatens Chicago. However, I only have a 65.5% chance of victory. And if I lose, then there goes Chicago. So I hold. I might lose the farm, but better the farm than Chicago.
Fortunately, the enemy Archer was stupid to go straight for the city. Tambien racks up another victory. And as he has hit the highest possible level you can get by killing barbarians, I transfer him south to New Orleans, with Civ’ed moving up to replace him.

Spoiler :

A Warrior threatens the miners near Boston. I move up Red Spy to intercept, hoping the warrior will be stupid enough to take the bait.
Which he is.

Spoiler :

I train my next Settler, Sounder, intended to found Seattle. I begin work on a Worker, to be followed by the Hanging Gardens.

Another Warrior threatens Chicago. I’m going to stop making screenshots every time this happens. Or would you prefer it?

Spoiler :

Hatshupshet, who has inexplicable knowledge of me, opens a dialogue, requesting an Open Borders agreement. I accept, as is my usual policy.

And that ends this chapter. I’ll start work on the next immediately.
Oh and no, I won’t be naming Boston Olafville. All cities – at least in the US and Canada – will be named for real cities in their locations.

I apologize to mayor

Apologies accepted ;) Glad I'm part of your story :cool:

I have my new Settler, with which I will found Cheyenne. I name him Hammond. A cookie to whoever gets the reference.

The reference I see: Cheyenne is (also) a car and Hammond is a presenter at Top Gear

I’m going to stop making screenshots every time this happens. Or would you prefer it?

I think we can forgive you if you stop making these screenshots, what you can do, every time the same screenshot :lol:

and as always: Awesome update :goodjob:

Nice update, some slightly unusual city placements though.
Denver would be much better 1E as you get less mountains in the BFC and more rivers to spam water mills, Cheyenne 1NE means you can get some hills you can build windmills to get some much needed growth.

1NE for cheyenne?? If you settle there you'll have 11 mountains in the BFC of which 6 directly adjacent to the city

now you have "only" 9 mountains

you spelled Inohotep wrong but nobody ever does (they get confused with Imhotep)
im just glad that you're back:)
if you get a great general, name him Chuck Norris

You will rename Toronto something else.

Top Bottom