(Next War) From Sea To Shining Sea

Civ’ed takes out a Warrior – his first kill.

I decide to actually build a Wall in Chicago – the city is attacked enough to justify it. I’ll follow up with a Barracks.

Spoiler :

It had to happen. My new Worker is named Bob. I commence work on the Hanging Gardens.

Spoiler :

The first recorded sighting of pirate galleys was in 120 AD. Two ships were sighted, one off the coast of New England, one in Thunder Bay. Fortunately, America possessed ships to engage them both.

This is why you build Galleys early. I plan to build a third one to send over to Seattle.

The USS Inevitable has engaged and defeated a pirate Galley. Another had destroyed an Incan Work Boat in Thunder Bay. I move the Sea Queen to block her escape. The pirate galley attacks and is destroyed.

Spoiler :

With the founding of Seattle in 140 AD, America was a two-ocean nation. Seattle, with its ideal location on the Pacific Coast, became a major center for manufacturing.

I’ve founded Seattle - my hometown. And yes, more barbarians are threatening Chicago. This time, Omega124 is en route. Clark’s returning from a trip to Alaska.

Spoiler :

Another Galley threatens New York’s clams. I order the newly constructed USS Wave Thunder to respond, and order a fourth galley to be built for Seattle.

Spoiler :

The pirate Galley has destroyed the clam boats. Given the 73.5% odds, I elect to plant Wave Thunder on the crabs and let the pirates come for her. Also, Omega124 has slain the Archer that threatened Chicago.

The plan worked. The pirates were slain. Wave Thunder moves south to guard the Clams.

Spoiler :

Yet more barbarians threaten Chicago, but the big news is the birth of Solomon (actually Ramakrishna, but I renamed him) in New Orleans. I order Solomon to Denver.

Spoiler :

Civ’ed and Bob have been slain by a barbarian Axeman! Fortunately, Chicago is still defended by the mighty Omega124. I also name my new Galley the USS Civ’ed in his memory.

Spoiler :

Built by the great prophet Solomon, the Temple of Solomon became the center for the Jewish religion. Here, holy rites were performed, prayers made, and holy scripture was taught and debated. Denver was still a small city at the time, but it was now home to a true Wonder of the World.

I have built the Temple of Solomon. It grants me additional income for every city that follows Judaism, giving me additional incentive to spread Judaism.

Spoiler :

Another mining accident, this time near Cheyenne. Same response.

Spoiler :

Montezuma offers me Animal Husbandry in exchange for Meditation. This time I refuse – the weaker he is, the better, and Animal Husbandry has no benefit to me.

More barbarian raids. This is getting tiresome.

Spoiler :

Clark finally sees some action, killing a barbarian Archer.

Spoiler :

Huayna Capac requests that I give him Priesthood. I agree.

Spoiler :

The American feudal system worked a bit differently than in most nations. America lacked a true nobility, and all citizens owed their principle loyalty to the monarchy. However, American law did allow for individuals to voluntarily give up some control of their lives to another in return for protection. This was most common in farming communities, particularly the cornfields near Chicago, where barbarian raids were frequent. In return for being “owned” by his lord, a serf had a guarantee that his farm would be rebuilt. The rights demanded by lords varied, but serfs never became slaves, as slavery was inimical to American culture. If a lord went too far, the courts would curtail his powers, and he would still be on the hook for protecting the serfs’ property. Eventually, most lords settled for demanding regular payments. This is considered to be the origin of the insurance industry – indeed, some modern insurance firms can trace their histories back to these feudal lords.

I have researched Feudalism. It offers me some new Civic options, so I take a look at the Civic screen.

Spoiler :

I choose to adopt Serfdom, as it has the same upkeep (low) as Tribalism, and improves the rate at which my Workers work. Vassalage, on the other hand, has high upkeep, and money is short at the moment. I also decline to adopt a religious civic, as America is currently a hodgepodge of religions.

Spoiler :

I have trained a new Worker in New York and a new Archer in Chicago. I name them, respectively, Phil and Darren.

Spoiler :

In 525 AD, American athlete Sandy Koufax created a stir when he announced he would be joining the military. He was personally selected to command America’s first unit of longbowmen, and saw action against a barbarian raid near Boston.

I have created my first Longbowman, and named him Sandy Koufax, after the legendary Red Sox pitcher. In the absence of new names from the thread, I will be naming my soldiers after American athletes. Koufax swiftly kills the barbarian Warrior.

Spoiler :

In 550 AD, in recognition of the spread of the new religion, the American government acceded to the calls from Denver to make Judaism America’s national religion. This encountered considerable resistance from the Taoists, but many felt that it was appropriate that America follow a religion that was born in America.

Judaism is now followed in most of my cities, so I declare it my official religion.

Spoiler :

In 560 AD, iron miners near New York discovered a deposit of jade. This brought in increased wealth to New York. An odd fashion was to set the jade in iron rather than a precious metal like silver or gold.

Yay!

Spoiler :

I have created Babe Ruth the Axeman. And look! A spearman for him to kill!

Spoiler :

The creation of the American dollar in 575 AD revolutionized commerce. As a dollar was worth the same no matter where you went, it became the standard by which the worth of things was measured. The first American dollars were copper, silver, and gold coins. Eventually, other semiprecious metals were added at lower denominations, while gold and silver made way for paper currency.

I have researched Currency. I can now build Markets and trade for Wealth with other nations. I choose Aesthetics as my next subject.

Spoiler :

Toronto was founded in 610 AD, on the southern shore of Hudson Bay.

Ladies and gentlemen… Toronto.

Spoiler :

Oh, almost forgot to mention – I’ve started building the Colossus in Boston.

Spoiler :

The Aztecs have founded a new city – Calixtahuaca. That leaves one spot where we will be racing to expand to. I make plans for Los Angeles.

Spoiler :

Aesthetics is the philosophy of art and beauty. American aesthetics leaned towards simple elegance as opposed to eye candy. If something is beautiful, it should not have to proclaim it loudly.

I have researched Aesthetics. This opens up certain wonders, particularly the Shwedagon Paya, which would give me access to the Free Religion civic earlier than normal. I choose Calendar as my next subject.

Spoiler :

The Aztecs have beaten me to the punch. Oh, well. Our southern border is effectively established.

Spoiler :

It seems that someone in the Old World has founded Hinduism.

Spoiler :

On second thoughts, I see a spot for one more city on the southern frontier. Dallas will be mine!

Spoiler :

The development of the American calendar in 695 AD is one of the lesser-known historical developments that affects our lives. The calendar aided planning in all sectors of life, from farming to politics to religion to business to social affairs.

I have developed the Calendar. I choose Compass as my next research project.

Spoiler :

The Colossus of Boston stands at the entrance to the city harbor. Made of Bronze, the Colossus does not in fact commemorate an individual, and history does not record who served as the model. It watches over the ships coming and going, and became a symbol of both Boston and American maritime commerce.

I have completed the Colossus of Boston! All sea tiles produce an extra Wealth.

Spoiler :

The great scientist, Galileo Galileo, is remembered for many things. Born in New York, he later moved to Boston, where he did his greatest research. He discovered that objects fall at the same speed regardless of weight, although the story that he did so by dropping a ball of wood and a ball of iron off of the Colossus is untrue. He also established the oldest institution of higher learning in America – the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I have a Great Scientist! I send him to Boston, and establish an Academy there. I traditionally have Boston become a center of learning.

And that concludes this section!

Nice update :goodjob:

Could I be a worker?

Very meaty update. Good to see that this is continuing.

One tip though, Work Boats are generally superior to Galleys in regard to the barbarian problem.
They're cheaper and used to spawn bust, instead of risking losing Galleys with anywhere between 40-70ish% combat odds.
The investment you lose in hammers and a future potential troop/settler ferry is pretty bad compared to the Work Boat,
which prevents the barbarians from spawning altogether and can later be used to help grow a new city as you expand.

Oh, BTW, the settler Hammond was not a reference to Top Gear, but to General Hammond from Stargate SG-1. The joke was that the Stargate Program was run out of Cheyenne Mountain.

Spoiler :

I decide to milk my Aztec allies for some cash. I trade Meditation for a tidy 400 gold.

Spoiler :

Invented by scholars at MIT, the compass uses a magnetized needle to determine which way is north. It quickly found use among sailors and explorers, making navigation easier and safer.

I have developed the Compass, allowing me to train Explorers and build Harbors. It is also a prerequisite for Optics. I order the research of Machinery, the second prereq for Optics.

Spoiler :

I have also ordered Phil and SouthernKing to work on clearing out the Florida jungles, with the intent of founding the city of Miami. The new Longbowman, Joe DiMaggio, is en route to guard the new location.

Spoiler :

I see that Confucianism has been founded.

Spoiler :

I also note that the Aztecs have taken the square that would have become Dallas. I cancel plans for the city.

Spoiler :

I have trained an Explorer for my future explorations of the Old World. I decide to name her Sacagawea, in honor of Lewis and Clark’s guide.

Spoiler :

The city of Miami was founded on the southern edge of the Florida peninsula. While it never achieved true greatness, it did become a rather popular tourist destination.

I have founded Miami. Even with the Workshops I am building, I know it won’t ever do much, but it will give me access to Spices once its influence expands to include Cuba.

Spoiler :

Montezuma offers me 500 gold for Construction. I agree.

Spoiler :

A machine is a complex device that transforms one kind of energy into another. The first American machines harnessed wind and water power to grind wheat into flower. As technology advanced, machines would be built for virtually every task imaginable.

I have developed Machinery. I can now build Windmills and Watermills, and train Macemen and Crossbowmen. I begin work on Optics next.

Spoiler :

While most nations adopted a uniform currency, each nation had its own separate coinage, with different values and weights. An American gold dollar usually weighed less than an Aztec peso, but more than an Incan sol. It was the role of moneychangers to trade one currency for another. The city of New York was known for these moneychangers. The strong American tradition of fair trade enforced by the law made them reliable, and the sheer volume of commerce in New York meant that a moneychanger always had enough of the right coinage on hand.

I begin plans for a new city to the north: Calgary. I send my Longbowman, Lou Gehrig, up to guard the site.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I begin building the Moai Statues in Seattle. This lovely little National Wonder enables the water tiles within a city’s borders to produce one hammer each. As Seattle has a lot of water tiles (13, counting Lake Washington), it seems like a good choice.

Spoiler :

The first working spyglass was created in 920 AD. It enabled individuals to better observe things at a distance, and soon joined the compass among the items used by explorers. With these tools, Americans looked beyond the sea…

I have researched Optics. Now I can build Caravels to cross the ocean. A new world awaits.

Spoiler :

Huayna Capac demands that I convert to Buddhism. I refuse.

Spoiler :

While plays have formed a part of the American storytelling tradition for millennia, they were usually crude affairs meant to act out tales from American mythology. It is only in the 900s that theater as we know it came to be, with stories written specifically for the stage. Some were adaptations of the old folk tales, while others were original stories, comparable to works of literature. Theater proved immensely popular, to say the least.

I have researched Drama. I can now build Theaters. I next focus on Philosophy.

Spoiler :

In 965, the USS Endeavor, America’s first ocean-going ship, set sail from Boston and into the Atlantic. Carrying the great explorer Sacagawea, the Endeavor would change forever the way the Americans thought about the world.

I have build a Caravel, and named it the USS Endeavor.

Spoiler :

What Galileo did for physics, Darwin did for biology. In 965, Darwin left his city of New Orleans to found the University of Washington in Seattle, where he promulgated his theory of natural selection.

Darwin has been born! I send him to Seattle. Why Seattle? Because it’s my home city, and I’m biased.

Spoiler :

In 990, the Endeavor discovered the island of Azore. Though uninhabited, its mere existence indicated that there might be more land beyond the sea. Sure enough, in 995, they discovered Spain, and made first contact with Queen Isabella.

Spoiler :

I have encounted the Spanish. I swiftly negotiate an Open Borders agreement with Queen Isabella, so I can drop off Sacagawea and explore the new land.

Spoiler :

In 1005, Sacagawea made landfall in Spain. There, she encountered a strange creature – a horse, ridden by a man. This particular man hailed from far-off Persia, and greeted Sacagawea peacefully.

I have encountered Darius of Persia, and negotiated an Open Borders Agreement with him as well. This will be my policy with regards to every civilization I meet, so that I may explore their lands without impediment. I won’t be posting more screenshots of new leaders, though I will mention them.

I have now encountered Louis XIV of France and Elizabeth of England. Negotiations went well.
And after them, Saladin of Arabia, Julius Caesar of Rome, and Frederick of Germany.
And now Mansa Musa of Mali.

Spoiler :

Philosophy is one of those things that has been with us forever, but took some time to be recognized. Men have often created principles to guide their lives – indeed, most religions could be considered philosophies. In the 11th century, new philosophies emerged, often inspired by recent discoveries. One such philosophy that gained many adherents was that of pacifism. Inspired by the peaceful encounters with the new civilizations to the east, pacifists believed in violence only when necessary, and even then they did not like it. Pacifists instead advocated quiet contemplation.

I have discovered Philosophy. I can now use the Pacifism civic, which doubles the rate at which I produce Great People. However, I won’t, as while it has no upkeep of its own, I do have one soldier in every city, and Pacifism charges an extra gold for each military unit. I next research Paper.
Oh, and I met Catherine of Russia. She hit on me.

Spoiler :

Jeanne D’Arc (Joan of Arc, for us Anglophones) has been born in Paris. Rather appropriate, I think.

I trade Drama for Literature with the Russians.
(7 – Literature)
While theater was a great way to bring stories to the masses, those who created them generally preferred the written word. The body of American literature contained many great works, from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to A Song of Fire and Ice.

Literature allows me to build the Heroic Epic, the National Epic, and the Great Library.

Spoiler :

Founded in 1045 at the edge of the northern wilderness, Calgary would surprise many and become a great city in its own right.

I have founded Calgary. I have high hopes. Probably has to do with the local Iron and Deer, not to mention all the trees.

Spoiler :

I plant Hank Aaron on the spot of a future city in Quebec, to be called Montreal.

Spoiler :

Hatshupshet offers me Code of Laws and 320 gold for Compass. I accept, more for the gold as it would take me only a few turns to research Code of Laws.

Spoiler :

While America had an ancient legal system, it did not have a written set of laws until 1050, when the concept of written law was introduced from Egypt. Soon, many statutes were codified, particularly complex ones involving commerce and taxation.

I have acquired Code Of Laws. I can now build Courthouses and use the Caste System. I decline the latter.

Spoiler :

The Seattle Moai are a series of stone sculptures built overlooking Puget Sound. While not as renowned worldwide, they did become a symbol of Seattle’s maritime commerce, just as the Colossus did for Boston. By official city ordinance, “Should a Citizen of Seattle be asked by a Visitor to the City who the Seattle Moai are modeled after, he shall give the Name or Names of prominent local Citizens. If he is asked this question by two or more different Visitors in the same Day, he may not give the same answer to any. This will serve to provide Amusement to the Citizens of Seattle.”

I wish that this ordinance was based off of a real one. Anyway, the Moai are finished. I begin work on a Caravel to explore the Pacific. I have Denver start training an Explorer to go with the ship.

I have made contact with Asoka of India.
Spoiler :

Proper paper for writing on was developed by MIT scholars in 1070 AD. Rather than papyrus or cloth, they made paper out of wood pulp, which was much cheaper and stronger. While books remained expensive, maps became much cheaper. The development of wood paper also paved the way for the printing press.

I have researched Paper. I can now trade maps. I can also build the University of Sankore wonder, but as I plan to go for Free Religion, I won’t. I next research Music.

I have made contact with Genghis Khan of Mongolia.

Spoiler :

Music has been around since men pounded bones together and liked the sound, but musical theory and notation took a while to develop. Previously, the sound of songs could not be recorded. But with the development of musical notation in 1110, songs, like books and plays, could be preserved for eternity.

I have developed Music. I can build Cathedrals. I now begin work on Animal Husbandry, more because it’s a one-turn technology.

And on that musical note, I end this chapter!

meshakhad said:
Oh, BTW, the settler Hammond was not a reference to Top Gear, but to General Hammond from Stargate SG-1. The joke was that the Stargate Program was run out of Cheyenne Mountain.

Well, I never really watched Stargate SG-1 so I wouldn't have known that :p

Two updates in 1 day!!!! some people could learn something from you ;)

name workers after celeberties (Larry the Cable Guy, in particular)
also, now that mayor Inohotep is long gone, can I be another settler?
and of course, remember to name your first nuke Chuck Norris

Olaf sounds like a good city name too.

And, just a minor nitpick, but iit's A Song of Ice and Fire.
Excellent update, though! :goodjob:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but all cities will receive location-appropriate names.

Sorry to burst your bubble guys

EDIT: lol, didn't know that Meshakhad had used the same expression :p

Since I am probably upgraded, and then renamed an athlete, can I be a settler?

Can you raze Calixtlahuaca and Settle Phoenix 2 west and 1 North of it?

:confused: Why is Seattle on Vancouver?

(I shouldn't be one to talk...)

Top Bottom