Please login with administrator privileges and try again

First, please note I am a technical ignoramus! I previously 'fixed' my problem loading Civ4 by typing the text 'sc config secdrv start=demand' and 'sc start secdrv'.

Now I have a new laptop which I am going to use solely for gaming (principally Civ). It's running Wndows 7.

The fix does not work! I get text stating:-

'start service failed 1058:

The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it'.

Help please?

M3dge,

Did you try the modification of the commands in post #51 above? The poster says he had the same sort of problem until he made the modifications.

M3dge,

Did you try the modification of the commands in post #51 above? The poster says he had the same sort of problem until he made the modifications.

Way beyond me I'm afraid, anything other than typing commands by rote. I ended up paying £15 to get the game on Steam, bloody annoying but at least I have Civ again.....

I previously 'fixed' my problem loading Civ4 by typing the text 'sc config secdrv start=demand' and 'sc start secdrv'.

Way beyond me I'm afraid, anything other than typing commands by rote.

The main fix in post #51 was correcting a typo. Instead of typing...
'sc config secdrv start=demand'
...type
'sc config secdrv start= demand'

The difference is the space before "demand".

I had the same problem when I played command and conquer, you have to find and uninstall this update, KB3086255, then restart your computer, this should take care of the problem

thanks for help on this as I followed the instructions posted and made it work!! Thanks to all that posted the help. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on laptop.

Couple things which I realised as I was going through the batch file set-up were:
1. that one must remember to RIGHT CLICK the new .bat file and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR when finally running the program.
This appears why people seemed to be getting the Access Denied and 'start service failed 1058' msgs. as they probably did what I did and tried to just double click the .bat file instead. This will not work.

2. As the game was loading, by including the disabling of the secdrv in one batchfile, even though it started to work, it eventually gave me a runtime error and the game did not load. By placing the command to disable in a separate batch file seemed to do the trick, so thanks to the original posts. Just have to remember to switch it off each time (or potentially making the Timout period longer)

Out of curiosity, has there come up any kind of comprehensive, easy fix for games with these DRM-issues by now?

I recently had the urge to re-install Civ IV (last played it on a system running Windows XP pro and Vista Ultimate)…I have 2 newer PC’s built within the last two years, one with W7 Pro and other with W10 Pro. Using the game discs, Civ IV would not run on either system after a successful install. I’m get the error msg (“Please login with administrator privileges and try again”.) on both OS.

I haven’t attempted to try the W7 fix, but plan on installing this on the PC running W10…and I’m reading that it’s not at all possible for a fix of this for W10 ? If so it’s very disappointing. I may try to look and purchase Civ IV off of Steam, but does anyone know if that will still experience the same issue ?

I would really like to get this game back up and running properly with W10.

I recently had the urge to re-install Civ IV (last played it on a system running Windows XP pro and Vista Ultimate)…I have 2 newer PC’s built within the last two years, one with W7 Pro and other with W10 Pro. Using the game discs, Civ IV would not run on either system after a successful install. I’m get the error msg (“Please login with administrator privileges and try again”.) on both OS.

I haven’t attempted to try the W7 fix, but plan on installing this on the PC running W10…and I’m reading that it’s not at all possible for a fix of this for W10 ? If so it’s very disappointing. I may try to look and purchase Civ IV off of Steam, but does anyone know if that will still experience the same issue ?

I would really like to get this game back up and running properly with W10.
It is not possible to use the fix for a Win 10 machine. Microsoft made sure of that.

You will not have this problem with a Steam install. Steam does not use the antiquated copy protection that Civ4 originally used, and that is causing all of the problems (thank you Microsoft for messing things up for everyone. :mad: )

The companies making the DRM and those using it for their games share at least part of the blame though.

According to this article it is possible to install the secdrv.sys driver on Windows 10. Also, doesn't a simply no-CD crack work?

It is not possible to use the fix for a Win 10 machine. Microsoft made sure of that.

You will not have this problem with a Steam install. Steam does not use the antiquated copy protection that Civ4 originally used, and that is causing all of the problems (thank you Microsoft for messing things up for everyone. :mad: )

Thxxx for your reply....it's really sad that this issue is even a problem. My hatred for W10 has just grown even greater that it's already been. I have the Civ IV Special Edition box set and that's been rendered useless now thanks to MS :(

The companies making the DRM and those using it for their games share at least part of the blame though.

According to this article it is possible to install the secdrv.sys driver on Windows 10. Also, doesn't a simply no-CD crack work?

I've read this and other articles offering info on ways to resolve this issue...but I'm afraid to attempt using any of these tools due to disclaimers such as this

We have to mention this solution can cause system instability and potential security issues, so use it at your own risk. To add SafeDisc driver manually follow these steps:

So maybe I'll give it a try through Steam or GOG (it's stated that games having this problem will run on W10)...but that remains to be seen.

Well, yeah it would be exact same security issues you have when you use the fix for Windows 7 you mentioned previously.

I'm sort of betting that since MS has removed secdrv.sys from most computers, the bad guys no longer bother to deploy malware using this route. (if I'm right, don't tell anyone!)

Went to Steam and purchased Civ IV there...installed and runs fine on W10. Now I have 2 copies, just a shame I can't use the disc any longer, but the SE box set makes a nice keepsake.

Finally found the issue, which is to say I found which update (KB3086255) from the latest Windows update has caused the issue. The issue is that the secdrv service had been disabled, which incidentally is the same reason Civ4 doesn't work on Windows 10 (I am using Windows 8).

I found the information here (I hope it's okay for me to post this link - it wasn't easy to find via Google):
http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/

I ran the two commands listed from a command prompt with admin privs and was then able to run Civ4:

sc config secdrv start= demand
sc start secdrv

I assume that to be safe it should be stopped and then again disabled after running the game. Probably a good candidate for a couple of batch files.

What command prompt?

When I usually run it asks for admin permissions. When I run as admin nothing happens and I don't get an error message.

Last edited:
What command prompt?

When I usually run it asks for admin permissions. When I run as admin nothing happens and I don't get an error message.

1. Command prompt : Start cmd.exe from the startup menu with Administrator permissions and enter the two commands into this console.
2. The quoted solution will not work on Windows 10.
3. The latest version, 3.19, of Civ4:BTS (Dvd release) is without copy protection. Thus it is not affectey by this issue. Install the latest patch, if possible.

Regards

Oh, I am on Windows 10.

But I also have Civ IV on DVD release, and yet am still being affected by this.

Don't know if I have the most recent patch though- where in the files can I check this? '_Civ4Patch' won't open, telling me that the item that this shortcut should link to has been moved. Also, if I don't have the most recent patch, where do I extract the contents of the 3.19 zip file to?

Last edited:
Top Bottom