Need some major historical assistance.

Acoustic

Warlord
So, I have been thinking about creating a dynamic (very) history scenario/mod for CiV where only the bases of a subrace/culture/ethnicity are spawned. For example:

The vikings (obviously a broad generalization, but they were all of a Nordic Subrace) essentially make up all of Northern Europe. So in other words, they should spawn as the Nordic subrace.

You also have Germany which is essentially Nordic but also consists of other race's/ethnicitys. So, for the purpose of this scenario/mod, they shouldn't spawn at all. (Unless, it spawns out of amixture of cultures. That's a feature for the mod, not pertaining to the actual history. Which is what we are concerned with here).

So, I need some discussion on what current Civilization V civs come close to passing this criteria.

Rome?

France?

Greece?

(I just realized how difficult it was actually getting this from my head into coherent text. lol, bare with me)

Owen, those two links go to the same place.

(I just realized how difficult it was actually getting this from my head into coherent text. lol, bare with me)

It's because it's not really a coherent or consistent idea. Like Owen said, race and ethnicity are kind of arbitrary, but more importantly, fluid things. The most consistent scenario you're going to get is to just have Humans start out in Ethiopia, but that wouldn't be much fun.

fixed. You could also refer to Dachs' post last week regarding how the term "civilization" is really only useful inasmuch as people in historical eras thought it was a useful term, but the concept in of itself is not at all very meaningful, useful, or even sensible. Those are essentially my thoughts on civilization, and likewise for race and nationality. They don't really have any meaning in of themselves and are just ways for people to draw arbitrary lines between Things (many of which, mind, ceased to exist thousands of years ago) they like and Things they do not like. I have elaborated on this in many different threads over the years (god has it been that long).

Take an example: people often distinguish between "Celts" and "Romans" as two "civilizations" of classical Europe. But what the hell does that mean? Rome/Roman can mean multiple things: A city, a confederation of city leagues/territorial republic/empire which were all more or less united by one (admittedly very surprisingly) homogeneous language. "Celt" refers to an entire language group. It's like calling the: [Spanish, French, Italian, Romanian, Catalan, Portuguese, Sicilian, and Occitan]/[German, English, Dutch, Frisian, Bavarian, Swiss, Prussian, Franconian, Goth, Vandal, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Scots, Alemannic, Franks, Saxon, etc. going back literally thousands of years] one singular homogeneous entity. These things aren't comparable in size, composition, or homogeneity. This stuff is largely painted by bias, both personal (we identify with Romans so we tend to view them as more important due to teleology), and academic (Celtic speaking peoples didn't tend to write things down, so we don't know a whole lot about them, relatively speaking). The weird thing about this is that often in these lists you'll see people differentiate between North Germanic (that is, all the descendants of Old Norse), German (one descendant of a Weser-Rhine language), and English (one descendant of a Niederdeutsch/Sachsisch language), I don't think I've ever heard someone on here at the very least divide Celtic into Brythonic and Continental (and possibly Cisalpine/Celtiberian/etc.).

But even then we're still just talking about languages. Although languages can create strong ethnic ties and identity, they shouldn't be used as a substitute for it. America and the UK both speak English, but would you call them one civilization or race (or subrace) or whatever? When you use the term "Nordic" [sic: should be Norse; Nordic is a race in Elder Scrolls] or Celtic you're refer to a group of tens or possibly hundreds of distinct languages spoken by thousands of people in a time before state apparati the size and complexity the likes of the US or hell, 17th century France were even conceivable, let alone possible or desirable. Nothing about these language groups implies any kind of homogeneity of thought, culture, or political system. All these language groups are saying is that, hey, "Hund" and "hound" and "hund" and "hond" all sound remarkably similar, maybe they came from a singular source. But that says nothing, nothing about the people who used these words or implies that these people were one genetic entity.

As to the concept of race, you could refer to any number of past Dachs, or Masada posts, or Guy Halsall blog posts about how it's generally not a good idea to try looking at genetic diversity in a region so geographically small as Europe and a span as temporally minuscule as a couple thousands years because your findings are not going to say much, and may even be misleading.

Romans are Latins. Greeks are Mycenaeans. And French are Celts.

As above: Latin is a language, "Mycenean" is an archaeological group which ceased to exist thousands of years ago, as well as a language which ceased to exist thousands of years ago, and Celtic is a language group, to which French does not belong. Linguistically French is much closer to German than it is to any Celtic language.

Linguistically French is a Romance language, which means it is close to Italian, Corsican, Spanish, Romanian, etc. Not to German.

Romance languages are "descendants" of Latin mixed with local barbarian languages.

Celts from Gaul became fully Romanized - they no longer spoke Celtic language by the time when the Roman Empire collapsed.

Map of Romance languages:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Latin_Europe.png

Spoiler :

The vikings (obviously a broad generalization, but they were all of a Nordic Subrace)

Not all. There were also Slavic vikings (only among Pagan Slavs, not among Christianized ones) and Finnish vikings.

Slavic vikings (known as "chąśnicy" in their own language) remained the only vikings after Christianization of Scandinavia.

Slavic vikings in the Baltic Sea survived until the end of the 12th century - i.e. until the Christianization of last of them.

You also have Germany which is essentially Nordic but also consists of other race's/ethnicitys.

If you are talking about biology / genealogy, then Germans are more closely related to Western Europeans and to other neighbouring nations.

Haplogroup I1 - which is associated with Germanic Scandinavians - is in minority in Germany, while the dominant haplogroup there is R1b.

This means that most of Germans are not descendants of Nordic Scandinavians, but of local people who became Germanized.

Anthropology also shows that "an average" German looks differently from "an average" Swede. They have much darker hair, for example.

When it comes to Austrians - there is essentially no genetic / biological difference between Austrians and neighbouring Czechs and Moravians.

Linguistically French is a Romance language, which means it is close to Italian, Spanish, Romanian, etc. Not to German.

Romance languages are "descendants" of Latin mixed with local barbarian languages.

Celts from Gaul became fully Romanized - they no longer spoke Celtic language when the Roman Empire collapsed.

I didn't say it isn't a Romance language, I don't deny that. I merely said that French is linguistically closer to German than it is to Celtic.

Also its Germanic influences are much more substantial than you are implying.

I was not implying anything about Germanic influences on French. I just wrote that it is always counted as a Romance language.

When it comes to English - it has very substantial French and Latin influences, but despite this fact, it is counted as a Germanic language:

An analysis of 80,000 words in the Shorter Oxford Dictionary apparently yielded the following results for the origin of the words:

Latin, 28.34 percent; French, 28.3 percent; Old and Middle English, Old Norse, and Dutch, 25 percent; Greek 5.32 percent; no etymology given, 4.03 percent; derived from proper names, 3.28 percent; all other languages, the rest of words.
The grammatical structure of English sentences are more closely related to the Germanic languages, which is why it is considered Germanic.

The word origins of the English language are roughly 30% Germanic, 30% French, 30% Latin, and 10% Greek. The Latin in the English language was not because of the Romans, but because of the Norman Conquest and terms that were later added in the early modern period.

As for languages and genealogy:

In linguistic terms all Slavic languages are very similar to each other, but in biological terms Southern Slavs have significantly different genetic ancestry from both Western and Eastern Slavs (on the other hand similarities between genetic ancestry of Western and Eastern Slavs are more considerable).

Southern Slavs are in terms of genetic ancestry much more closely related to their non-Slavic Mediterranean neighbours than to Western & Eastern Slavs.

Hungarians speak an Ugro-Finnic language but in terms of genetic ancestry they are not too much related to other Ugro-Finnic ethnic groups.

As for the case of Austrians and Czechs / Moravians, I already mentioned this example in my previous post.

=================================================

Of course - as you mentioned Owen - genetic differences between Europeans are in general small.

And these differences are larger / sharper in sparsely populated areas.

For example "genetic distance" between Finns from Helsinki and Finns from Kuusamo is bigger than between any two given European nations.

Helsinki is in Southern Finland while Kuusamo is in Northern Finland.

Also other Scandinavians are "distant", genetically speaking, from non-Scandinavian Europeans, including from Germans. But less distant than Finns.

Another group which is quite significantly (in European terms) genetically different from the rest of Europeans, are Estonians.

Russians are relatively (in European conditions) "genetically distant" from Bulgarians, even though both groups speak Slavic languages.

These two pictures illustrate how closely Europeans are genetically related:

1) All of Europeans compared to China, Japan and Nigeria:

2) Differences and similarities between various Europeans:

This is the same tiny area as shown above in that grey frame, but enlarged:

And here some more comparisons - regional ones:

Let's not forget the great Boii race -- that ancient group of thoroughbreds who shed their barbaric Celtic speech and, adopting civilized Germanic and Slavic, became glorious Bohemians (Boii + heim) and Bavarians (Boii-people).

All of this info is very interesting. Thanks for all the responses!

Without going too far back (ie, 10,000 bc) how would you genetically divide, for sake of time, Europe?

All of this info is very interesting. Thanks for all the responses!

Without going too far back (ie, 10,000 bc) how would you genetically divide, for sake of time, Europe?

I wouldn't.

Pangur Bán;13103275 said:
Let's not forget the great Boii race -- that ancient group of thoroughbreds who shed their barbaric Celtic speech and, adopting civilized Germanic and Slavic, became glorious Bohemians (Boii + heim) and Bavarians (Boii-people).

Die Böhmen is a German name for Czechs, die Wenden is a German name for Western Slavs in general and for Sorbs in particular.

Both these names are delivered from names of Ancient regions / tribes who were located / lived roughly in the same areas.

French name for Germany is Allemagne - but does it mean that real Germans were in fact just the tribe of Alemanni ???

=========================================

Here is the true Allemagne (= Germany), the area where the tribe of Alemanni (the only real Germans) lived:

Top Bottom