1 turn left for Great Library and then... #E$%^&&*(P_

steve7233

Chieftain
Several times including just now. I was just one turn away so I click on next turn thinking its in the bag and... Fireaxis its all your fault you programed the game to process the AI players first so they beat me by a few milli seconds. :cry: I think there should be a new Steam achivement in addition to 'have another civ beat you to building a wounder'. How about have a Civ beat you to building a wounder when you only have one turn left 6 times in the same game. I think that would not take to long to get. :D

Actually, the human is the first player in a single player game. But production for each player is at the beginning of their own turn.
(There were previous versions of Civ in which all players production was before the first player moved though [Civ I, Civ II, Civ III, SMAC])

You didn't mention what level you were on or which turn you were on so we can't really compare with when GL is normally taken by the AI for that difficulty level. But on King & above, Great Library is the most popular GW for the AI to build and they start with a one tech lead towards it.
On Immortal & above, AI also starts with a worker (and some worker techs) and so can also start making hammer improvements towards it.

Wait, if humans are first, so when you click end turn when you have one turn left to finish a wonder but still got stolen anyway, does it simply mean you're one turn late (he's already at t-1 while you were at t-2)? but then why the pop-up didn't fire before the start of your own turn?

Wait, if humans are first, so when you click end turn when you have one turn left to finish a wonder but still got stolen anyway, does it simply mean you're one turn late (he's already at t-1 while you were at t-2)? but then why the pop-up didn't fire before the start of your own turn?

It means you're one turn late but since production is at the start of the turn the announcement that the wonder has been built elsewhere pop at the start of the next turn.

That will be easier with an example:

Turn 50 Player 1 has 2 turn left on wonders, hit next turn
Turn 50 AI has 1 turn left, hit next turn
Turn 51 Player has 1 turn left, hit next turn
Turn 51 AI Wonder finishes at the start of his turn, Message Pop, hit next turn.
Turn 52 Player receives the message and gold and is sad.

The message really does pop before your turn if you pay close attention I think, it pops when it's the AI turn.

It means you're one turn late but since production is at the start of the turn the announcement that the wonder has been built elsewhere pop at the start of the next turn.

That will be easier with an example:

Turn 50 Player 1 has 2 turn left on wonders, hit next turn
Turn 50 AI has 1 turn left, hit next turn
Turn 51 Player has 1 turn left, hit next turn
Turn 51 AI Wonder finishes at the start of his turn, Message Pop, hit next turn.
Turn 52 Player receives the message and gold and is sad.

The message really does pop before your turn if you pay close attention I think, it pops when it's the AI turn.
Yeah, that is why you can be sure whether or not you got the wonder before your turn starts - if no alert icon has popped up by the time the timer says "processing turn for city states" (or something similar), you've got the wonder.

Yeah, that is why you can be sure whether or not you got the wonder before your turn starts - if no alert icon has popped up by the time the timer says "processing turn for city states" (or something similar), you've got the wonder.

When I'm trying to build a wonder, I always wait anxiously for the turns to be processed, and therefore am glad and greatly relieved when that happens and it gets to the city states without the message. Does anyone feel the same tension when hitting "next turn"?

In 9 cases out of 10, you are right. However if you were showing 1 turn remaining on golden age.

Then when it gets to your turn you see golden age ended
And open up the city and see it's 2 hammers short of finishing the Great Wonder.

I don't even try for that wonder. It is effectively impossible without sacrificing nearly everything and even then you probably still won't get it.

One game I had an amazing map, coastal city capital, and 4 other strong cities and lost the race to 4 wonders straight by a turn. I just quit.

In 9 cases out of 10, you are right. However if you were showing 1 turn remaining on golden age.

Then when it gets to your turn you see golden age ended
And open up the city and see it's 2 hammers short of finishing the Great Wonder.

Try being 0.27 hammers short of a wonder and THEN having it stolen from you.

I almost give up any ancient wonder except Pyramid, and sometimes MoM, AI are just crazy for them

Great Library is nice but it's a bad habit to get into - AI loves building it and it's pretty much impossible to get on Immortal+.

As myclan says the only ancient wonder that isn't always built superfast is Pyramids, since most AI open Tradition or Piety and so aren't even able to build it. Temple of Artemis doesn't seem too hotly contested, either.

Great Library is nice but it's a bad habit to get into - AI loves building it and it's pretty much impossible to get on Immortal+.

As myclan says the only ancient wonder that isn't always built superfast is Pyramids, since most AI open Tradition or Piety and so aren't even able to build it. Temple of Artemis doesn't seem too hotly contested, either.

This. In MP, you'll also encounter many players still trying to get it. Unless your city is a productive city, don't bother and focus on other things. People who tend to get it usually choose liberty to get free worker so they can work on the wonder ASAP whilst cutting down forests and building mines.

Although, you might have cases where players seem to ignore building the GL. On a fast speed MP, I managed to get GL on turn 55 and I wasn't even aiming for it. I tried to get it after building another wonder because my capitol was productive to build it in 7 turns. Furthermore, I was France, so that was an additional incentive for CV.

So the golden rule around GL is: don't bother going for it in SP on higher difficulties. In MP, look at literacy rate after turn 15-20 or so to see if anyone is trying to get that wonder. Build it only if you can do so in less than 20 turns. If there is plenty of good land around you, focus on early expansion instead.

I got the Great Library on immortal the other day when I popped writing from a hut right after I finished Pottery. I immediately switched production to GL and finished it around turn 40.

If you always open Pottery, I guess you would have that chance.

Top Bottom