Ask a Mormon, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eran of Arcadia

Stormin' Mormon
Retired Moderator
The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
Okay, here is the latest addition to the series (well, "series" is a stretch) of threads where you can ask any question about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Things to remember:

1. Any and all LDS posters on CFC are welcome to contribute - I know there are a fairly good number who popped in to say hi on the last few, I would encourage them to contribute this time as well.

2. Neither I, nor anyone else who answers any questions, is doing so in an official capacity. I will try to make it clear what is my opinion and what is Church doctrine.

3. We do not claim to be able to prove our faith. In real life, we believe it for a variety of reasons that we can't simply explain to someone so convincingly that they will instantly join the church. On the internet, that would be even harder.

Previous threads:

Matt's Mormon Thread

Eran's All-New Mormonism Thread

As Eran said it's not abuse of the people involved, but rather abuse of the act itself. Writing us off as ignorant does not become you.

What in the world is 'abuse of the act itself'? When unmarried people make love how are they abusing some abstract concept? They're loving each other. That's not an abstract concept, it's real, and there is no abuse.

As I said, "misuse" is a better term.

And we are never going to see eye to eye on this, because we believe specific things that you don't - regarding the purpose of sex and marriage, and the nature of the next life. I doubt that you are going to get a more satisfactory answer.

1. Any and all LDS posters on CFC are welcome to contribute - I know there are a fairly good number who popped in to say hi on the last few, I would encourage them to contribute this time as well.

:wavey:

I'm a new member...[just got baptised this evening] but I will help contribute if I can.

Which is? (I don't remember)

it's just that even though apparently Jell-o is the cliche LDS refreshment for any function, that seems to be true only in Utah. Everywhere else I have been in the Church (New York, California, Indiana, Virginia) every baptism, fireside, and FHE has brownies.

Family Home Evening.

For anyone else reading this thread, a) the Church loves acronyms (it's what makes us LDS . . . ) and b) Family Home Evening is a program the Church has instituted wherein families are encouraged to set aside one night a week (traditionally Monday) to have an activity as a family. Obviously families spend more time together, but this is sort of preplanned. usually there will be some spiritual message/lesson and an activity (as well as the opening and closing prayer, hymn, and refreshments that mark any LDS activity). Those who don't have families will often meet as a group; ie my ward (congregation) being made up of young single adults between the ages of 18-30, meet at each other's houses on Monday nights.

I have a question. I read the Book of Mormon* about the Nephites, Lamanites and Jaredites all coming to the Americas in a couple of waves. How come these two sets of large civilizations didn't seem to leave any archaeological record behind them?

*It took me a long time to realize that the point of view character in the First and Second Books of Nephi wasn't named "I Nephi." I wondered for a while what the "I" stood for.

Well, the problem is that we wouldn't necessarily recognize what sort of evidence they left.

First of all, we don't know where exactly they were - somewhere in Mesoamerica, maybe, but it is a big place, and we have no idea of scale. Second, we don't know that much about Mesoamerica 2000 years ago. For example, we don't know what the Olmecs even called themselves - "Olmec" is what later civilizations called them. Not saying that the Olmecs were Nephites or something, but if we dug up a jar made by Helaman's cousin, we would have no idea it was his. The Book of Mormon is not incredibly detailed about material culture.

Eh? Why is Mesoamerican prehistory discussed in the book of Mormon?

Family Home Evening.

For anyone else reading this thread, a) the Church loves acronyms (it's what makes us LDS . . . ) and b) Family Home Evening is a program the Church has instituted wherein families are encouraged to set aside one night a week (traditionally Monday) to have an activity as a family. Obviously families spend more time together, but this is sort of preplanned. usually there will be some spiritual message/lesson and an activity (as well as the opening and closing prayer, hymn, and refreshments that mark any LDS activity). Those who don't have families will often meet as a group; ie my ward (congregation) being made up of young single adults between the ages of 18-30, meet at each other's houses on Monday nights.

But what if you are the only one in your family that goes to church?
I don't see my parents ever going for anything that has a spiritual message/activity in it. They said that I could go to church and be an active member and such, but they don't really want to have anything to do with it.
I'm not an adult either, I'm only 16.

brennan said:
Eh? Why is Mesoamerican prehistory discussed in the book of Mormon?

It isn't - the Book of Mormon describes a couple of groups of people who lived somewhere in the Western hemisphere between about 600 BCE and 400 CE. Many Mormons have taken it to be somewhere in Mesoamerica. A common argument against the veracity of the Book of Mormon is that archaeological evidence should exist of such people; my reply being that we wouldn't recognize it since the Book of Mormon doesn't actually give a lot of details about where it was or what sort of culture the people had.

Illusionist said:
But what if you are the only one in your family that goes to church? I don't see my parents ever going for anything that has a spiritual message/activity in it. They said that I could go to church and be an active member and such, but they don't really want to have anything to do with it. I'm not an adult either, I'm only 16.

Well, I am sure that there are other families in your ward willing to include you. You might also try at least having some sort of activity with your family - they might not go for anything spiritual/religious but a lot of families have "game night" or something like that.

Why weren't there Mormons in the Americas before Joseph Smith if there were Nephites, Lamanites and Jaredites in the Americas?

Originally Posted by Eran of Arcadia
It isn't - the Book of Mormon describes a couple of groups of people who lived somewhere in the Western hemisphere between about 600 BCE and 400 CE. Many Mormons have taken it to be somewhere in Mesoamerica. A common argument against the veracity of the Book of Mormon is that archaeological evidence should exist of such people; my reply being that we wouldn't recognize it since the Book of Mormon doesn't actually give a lot of details about where it was or what sort of culture the people had.

We know that at least one of these people made it to upstate New York and buried some gold plates there. At least that's what the historical evidence would have us believe.

Why weren't there Mormons in the Americas before Joseph Smith if there were Nephites, Lamanites and Jaredites in the Americas?

Because the Lamanites lost their religion in about 400 CE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom