Guess the New Civs

Carthage didn't speak Berber (the Numidians in their army did, but not their leaders). I would hope they find someone to speak some dialect of Phoenician. They might go with Tunisian Arabic if all else fails (unfortunate, but at least a Semitic language).

Aren't the Ghaznavids covered by Persia?

The Five Known Civs
Netherlands
Mayans
Celts
Byzantines
Carthage

Who I Think Will Make It
Zulu - A must-have, classic civilization
Sumeria - Either them or maybe the Hittites
Ethiopia - Yep, three "African" nations in one expansion (I gotta make this unique somehow)
Austria-Hungary - I think this would fit in quite well with a World War I scenario...

Who I Want to See
Zulu - I love beating up Shaka :hammer:
Israel - Will they ever get in? Probably not
Portugal - I'm willing to bet $80 that they will be a DLC civ
Aliens - :assimilate: I can dream, can't I? :D

Boudica will likely speak Gaelic though I prefer Welsh

Medieval Welsh, Cornish or even Breton would be a better fit for Boudica given that the Iceni were a southern tribe. Then again, the developers might opt for Gaelic (hopefully Scottish rather than Old Irish) on the grounds that it fits better with the Pictish Warrior and the knotwork icon they've gone for.

My bets are:

Israel(or Hebbrew),because since Religion will be (re)added,it would be nice to add a civilization which got advantages with religion;

Brazil,because of the increasing influence they have been conquering nowadays;

Ethiopia,because of local influence they got and because they've been on Civilization series before;

Portugal,because with Holland and Brazil,you can launch an scenario inspired in this event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil

I have myself a list too, and i've based it on 3 things primarily.

First: Location and proximity to other civs, there don't seem to be great overlaps except in the middle east currently, so i doubt they will try and overlap in a more spacious area.

Second: Prestige as an empire, no-one looks kindly on the poor little Siberians :( But they had a big load of space. Firaxis want a civ that's been in the wars and is famous for something.

Third (The Big One): Religion, it being a religious expansion, i've looked at civs which bring different religions to the board.

Based on this, and the fact we know 3 already these are my 6:

Sioux (or some other North-West American tribe) - this region is very lacking and we lack a rain-dance oriented religion

Austria-Hungary - Arguably the most powerful European nation in the Early Modern Era (under it's former name of Austria) and filling a void between the western civs, the ottomans and the russians

Zulu - Everyone's favourite and a sorely lacking area plus it brings a new religion this one is a dead set.

Congo - Another African area neglected another african religion and another big empire.

Carthage - Another one people have been crying out for, and the theme of this expansion isn't just religion, but satiation. North Africa only has egypt so far, carthage is pretty big etc etc It's in there.

Maratha (Southern Indian) - Hindu empire prior to British invasion, brings a religion that would only be one of many in the larger indian empire.
Or Srivijaya (Indonesia) - Buddhist empire in Indonesia before Islam arrived

Other possibilities

Chibchas (Colombia) - I doubt Firaxis can differentiate some of the civilisations down their enough to justify another civ, especially since the majority are in the northern section. If they were to add one here i would guess at the Chibchas. Plus we already got the Mayans, and central america IS south america after all.

Mughals (Northern India and Central Asia) - Big time Muslim empire in the early modern period. Built the Taj Mahal, conquered almost the whole of India at it's height. However, India already exists with the Mughal fort as its UB...

Ethiopians - Big african civ and eventually the only uncolonised portion of africa (excluding liberia) also the only christian african civilisation prior to the arrival of Europe. Interesting religiously but not unique. And it's close association to the Middle east over the rest of africa means its competing with the likes of...

Hittites and Sumer and Phoenicians and Minoans and byzantines - All fun but where are they gunna sit? The whole of the middle east is pretty much covered by what we already have. Yes, cradle of civilisation, yes thousands of years of history but there's other places... And there's only so many different names you can call the same city...

Poland - Alternative to austria i guess, never quite hits it off in European politics as much as austria but they brought in the polynesians so anything can happen

Other North american tribes - I'm not too read up on the varying tribes but i think anything could go here really, providing it's western or northern. I don't think tribes bordering Mexico or the eastern seaboard will have a say because of Maya, Aztec, USA and Iroquis.

CSA - In case firaxis find their fanbase is largely nostalgic inhabitants of the southern US. I can't see any other reason for this to be included other than the fact that firaxis is american and thus civil war is world relevant, but i think this is an incredibly unlikely scenario.

Portugal - early colonial power, but as someone has pointed out Lisbon was seen as a city state in the release photos

Bulgaria - Fairly big empire in the early middle ages in Eastern Europe, not very well known so the kind of dark horse that might spring up.

<Insert African country with history here>

Afghan or other central Asian empire - another dark horse candidate, but likely suffering from similarity to middle eastern civs and the mongolians, depending on which is chosen.

There's also a chance at various South East Asian civs like the Khmer or vietnamese joining in or even an ancient sub kingdom of China, but i think these are all far more unlikely.

The Confederacy lasted five years. During this time it was constantly on the defensive, had its economy in ruins, and was conquered. The Palmyrene Empire is a better candidate than CSA.

I agree with this thought process. An expansion pack is the perfect opportunity to include worthwhile but less popular civs. If they plan on continuing to develop DLC (which I presume they are), civs like Portugal are ideal choices.

I'd like to see Portugal and Brazil come out together in a double DLCs sort of offer after the expansion. I also agree with people who say it makes little sense to add Brazil as a civilization without having Portugal as one.

Ps: Sad sign of times that we are discussing how it makes sense to withhold a Civ from an expansion pack just to sell it as a DLC later, don't you think?

The Confederacy lasted five years. During this time it was constantly on the defensive, had its economy in ruins, and was conquered.

Just because they were conquered doesn't make them wrong.

^ I wasn't talking about right or wrong, just whether some civ should be included. I could name over 50 civs that are more worthy of inclusion.

Ps: Sad sign of times that we are discussing how it makes sense to withhold a Civ from an expansion pack just to sell it as a DLC later, don't you think?

I don't think we're talking about withholding a Civ. What we're talking about is choosing which civs to focus on. If they had unlimited time and money, they could include every civ. However, assuming they don't, they should focus on civs that might not sell all that well by themselves and then work on civs that can stand alone after.

Why are people so attached to Austria-Hungary? We have enough European nations as is.

Palmyrans might make an appearance in the Fall of Rome scenario (one hopes!) though if they do, I hope they use a portrait of the Queen instead of just using some random vanilla civ's animated leader.

Although they don't fit into the "Gods and Kings" theme, I think Boliva's Gran Colombia would be a great nation to add to Civ too (and they're a better choice than the Holy Roman Empire too, imo).

Why are people so attached to Austria-Hungary? We have enough European nations as is.

That part of Europe is never in the game...

I'd love to see Poland,Hungary,Bulgaria,Romania,Serbia or yeah even Finland...

Russia has always been in the game as a sort of..."eastern influence" and I kinda get the feeling that many people in Firaxis just view Eastern Europe as another part of Russia...which is BS,,,

EDIT is Bucharest a city state??

if not then Romania is in!!!!

Cuz its in an espionage screen shot...

Top Bottom